IGNORED

Help me decide what synth to buy [SOLVED]

Squee

what is the appeal of vintage analog, apart from the physical feel of it? I've heard people complain about new analog synths sounding "digital".. is it just some fantasy idea that an analog synth will by default produce warbly out of tune BoC sounds or something?

No its real,ive made music and tried some new and vintage analog(not that many and im no expert but they do have a different feel.)

The new ones feel a bit more stable and bright imo.Not better or worse but different.

Vintage are more wild tuning wise and smoother.

Like the new DSI stuff,like the OB6 has a bright,less smooth sound than a OB-X.But i like this new,this sound also.

This video show that pretty well:

I have a jx-8p and its smoother than my Mopho and the Minibrute i had by a lot.(i know they are quite different instrument but still..)

I tried a CS-50 and it was so smooth and beautiful! Subtle detuning going on all the time!

My friend has a juno 60 and smooth also.

Analogue gives the sounds itself more balls.But you can make very good music with only software.

I sometimes only use vst when i want to work fast or im making tracks away on my laptop.

It's almost a fetishism thing,not many people will REALLY notice the difference in sound.

But THERE IS a difference in analogue.And there is a difference in VINTAGE analogue.

If you have good ideas they will kick them a few level up sound wise and give you more expressive power

(which is the goal of having an analogue,imo,not just sound fetishism but richer sound for more musical expressive power)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what is the appeal of vintage analog, apart from the physical feel of it? I've heard people complain about new analog synths sounding "digital".. is it just some fantasy idea that an analog synth will by default produce warbly out of tune BoC sounds or something?

at risk of using meaningless descriptors it does seem like analog stuff sounds fuller and more present out of the box. you can get there with digital, but it takes more time and effort.

I think buying vintage analog shit is probably an unnecessary headache

Have you ever tried vintage analogue?

The stuff is so lush!

yeah some analog things but being able to make your music and not have to pay for maintenance is a big deal. I'm not denying that they sound great.

at risk of using meaningless descriptors it does seem like analog stuff sounds fuller and more present out of the box. you can get there with digital, but it takes more time and effort.

I think buying vintage analog shit is probably an unnecessary headache

Have you ever tried vintage analogue?

The stuff is so lush!

yeah some analog things but being able to make your music and not have to pay for maintenance is a big deal. I'm not denying that they sound great.

Yeah there is always the risk of getting technical problems of course....

it is a gamble,especially older synths and stuff bought to complete stranger on ebay or whatever.

Buying at a good synth shop that did a maintenance job before selling it is maybe the safest option,

and buying from people you know and trust like friends and stuff.

But if you get a good one,in good shape you can go a longer way without worrying about that.

But yeah if you are not willing to get through the possible hassles,new analogue or just plain vst will do the job.

But still,my local synth expert and repair guy,

he told me a lot of these new analogue are build surface mount

and they are actually harder to repair then old synths, and if the makers stop making the parts it will be even harder to repair.

This guy said to me my JX8P would burry me and survive me and himself too probably.

He told me buy old machines if possible.

He might be talking out of his ass but i doubt it.I trust the guy.

But if you live like 300 miles from the next synth repair guy/shop.Might not be the best idea haha

Like the new DSI stuff,like the OB6 has a bright,less smooth sound than a OB-X.But i like this new,this sound also.

both of those sound fkn AMAZING

unfortunately at nearly $4500AU I doubt I'll ever be able to afford the OB-6, or at least justify spending that much.. think I may just settle for the new behringer one lol (or maybe just say fuck analog and get an original nord lead..)

I think it's a mix of fetishism, user interface and the fact that some of the most popular sounds in music for the last 50 years or so come from analog synths and were likely ran through loads of analog processing for their signature sounds as it seems to be the standard in high end pop-music production. Knobs for each function is nice -probably my only gripe with some lovely digital racks I've owned is that they are a total pain in the ass to program.

I personally love the way my old Roland's play together. They have a timbre that's very unique to me compared to my digital or newer analog synths. I dunno, I can't speak for everyone else, but my vintage synths are my favorites. (Shrug)

unfortunately at nearly $4500AU I doubt I'll ever be able to afford the OB-6, or at least justify spending that much.. think I may just settle for the new behringer one lol (or maybe just say fuck analog and get an original nord lead..)

Killing Joke used the OB-X on their classic early records.

Guest Chesney

There is something about older analogues that just do it for me. While newer i.e. DSI synths ARE amazing they do just lack something.

The ongoing maintenance thing with older stuff is part myth. If you get a solid piece and it will stay solid if you look after it. If you keep moving it, playing it live then it's more prone to problems whereas new synths, not so much. It's easy to get unlucky and buy something with ongoing problems, but that could be said of anything brand new in technology.

Old big polysynths are more a problem maintaining moreso keeping in tune etc.

I recently bought a Analogue solutions Leipzig on a total whim because of a good deal and this thing is straight up old sounding, acts like a brat and you have to tame it with an inch of it's life and this is all in a good way. New analogues are too polite because they are trying to integrate into today's ways of working (which is what they should) but something is sacrificed in doing that.

They really do!! And in HQ with good headphones or monitors its even more amazing.

Oberheim is out of this world.I tried the OB6 at local shop.It was just glorious.

Also tried the Matrix 6r at my friend place and it was mindblowing.

But OB6... yeah....4000$...lol...

I would say try getting a cheaper analogue poly or even mono first.

If you are an Oberheim fanatic you could try to get a Matrix.They are cheaper than other OB.

I have a Nord Lead,its nice,very versatile but i dont use it nearly as much as my analogues.

It sound too much like a vst.

Archived