IGNORED

venetian snares - vache drum solo source?

Ragnar

focus/hocus pocus?

there's a sampleable drum solo before every silly breakdown. at least that's what always came to mind for me:

also the fucking amazing live version:

hm maybe but the compression in the merzbow vid sounds spot on if he were able to salvage it with highpass or whatever

and the canadian reggae thing is definitely a shout-out plus HUNGARY

it's obviously programmed as it doesn't sound natural at all

well YEAH but I listen to the initial clip and I imagine it could still be made of several chunks/snippets sewn together

Either VS programmed it himself, or a drummer played some stuff on an electronic kit; both scenarios lead to the same thing: a quantised MIDI pattern, which in turn was sent to an acoustic drumkit sample library/module.

VS had said in an interview he'd take a recording of a drummer's performance, manually place markers on whichever hits he wanted to keep, then remove the audio and position his own samples. That's also a possibility, although I reckon it's more like straightforward programming in this case.

as an aside the Merzbow/Pandi live show is well worth catching if you haven't, Balazs' drumming kinda anchors you from Merzbow's flickering noise when he does his precision metal drumming, then just lets loose with some free jazz insanity and your mind is just caught out. talented dude.

Archived