IGNORED

Happy 20th anniversary RDJ Album

psn

This was my introduction to Aphex Twin. It was 8 years after it came out. Friend mentioned off-hand how nutty his stuff was, week or so later I bought this album at a Half-Price Books. I remember listening to it with headphones in the car as my parents drove me down to summer orientation at the college I was going to that fall. I turned it down because I was so overwhelmed by the sounds coming at me.

Everything was different after that when it came to my perception of what "electronic music was." RDJ's "drill-n-bass" stuff is not the era I return to as often but this is still my favorite because of all the emotional meaning for me attached to it.

That's uncanny. I just put this album on for the first time in ages (must've been a couple of years), saw it passing by on Google Play, then saw this thread.

I think I was 11 when I bought (well, me mum) this one in the shop after doubting for half an hour between this, ICBYD and some pop / R&B CD (Alicia Keys? Destiny's Child? Something like that). It was more choosing between the artwork tbh, but still.

Listening back it is quite ehm, nostalgic but still so, so lovely :)

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 5X met Tapatalk

I used to have a YouTube converted version of this before I got the CD, which had Cornish Acid going at twice the speed. The only tracks I really listen to anymore are Fingerbib and Yellow Calx. It's weird, it's the album that got me into Aphex and I listened to it exclusively for ages and now I never have any desire to put it on. Still great.

Best album. Most personal. You can tell. It's the richest of them all. It is my introduction to hearing his stuff. I was flipped out. It was un-real how you could compose music to sound like this in my 12 year old mind. Can't wait for December. Fucking every track on this album is gold. 1000% my favorite to this day and I would be surprised if not forever. It's that good.

Best album. Most personal. You can tell. It's the richest of them all. It is my introduction to hearing his stuff. I was flipped out. It was un-real how you could compose music to sound like this in my 12 year old mind. Can't wait for December. Fucking every track on this album is gold. 1000% my favorite to this day and I would be surprised if not forever. It's that good.

Yes I love it too. Very much so. I think for many years it was my favorite album of all time, believe it or not it took over from Seasons In The Abyss. All these years later both albums would still in my top 25. Maybe for subconscious nostalgic reasons, but I don't care.

Caribou's post is spot on, I love it dearly but I don't play it as much as I used to. But it's due a re-spin...

I started getting into electronic music when I starting playing around with sony acid and discovered the stock midi sounds, effects, and piano roll and started making tracks. I picked this album up in high school in a record store when I was visiting Montana. I was staying at my grandparents house and listening to the cd on a shitty walkman in the summer heat. I think it was the first aphex album I officially bought, although I may have heard drukqs and SAW 2 when I checked them out from the library, I couldn't process those at the time. This one I could, kind of. I remember hearing 4 and just getting this pleasant emotion in my body every time, even though I didn't understand what this music was from, what it was influenced by. Before this I listened to lame shit like green day and smash mouth and sublime. I had a lot to learn about electronic music and music in general.

I remember immediately trying to learn how to do all those fast drum rolls in fruityloops ( I think i switched off sony Acid pro 4.0 around or before hearing the RDJ album). I think I used some sort of note split feature in the piano roll, together with drawing curves on the velocity. (still used that technique for a long time in other apps and phases of music in later years). Mostly garbage but made many hours of music trying to emulate those rolls.

Joined WATMM not too long after that I think. I was a fan by the time analord was coming out. Been a fan since. Going to see him live for the first time next month and I'm stoked!

Archived