IGNORED

Post one thing people here do not know yet

o00o

no links or copy paste / trivia. As people here work in various specialized professions they might know things from work or study no one here knows yet. this is what this topic is about.

what do you know that I have never heard of? 

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Behavioral Psychologists discovered essentially that your neuroanatomy divides the world into three basic categories: Order, Chaos and Logos (although they didn't use that terminology). They were wrong about the fine-grain details, but we figured those out later.

Comparative Mythology is essentially the study of the dynamic interplay between Order, Chaos and Logos as conceived by pre-literate societies (although eventually anthologized once we developed written language).

So embedded in every myth or folk tale you've ever learned is tens of thousands of years worth of crowd-sourced wisdom and strategy expressed in archetypes.

Coda: Some people started interpreting these morality stories as literal descriptions of the material world, and so...

(Sorry to pull the ol' 'Limpy double-post' but...)

Many religious and philosophical traditions deal explicitly with these three categories (Order, Chaos, Logos):

For example, Taoism

Which is symbolized by the 'yin-yang'

'Yin' literally means 'the shady/hidden side of the mountain'

'Yang' literally means 'the sunny/visible side of the mountain'

And "Tao" ("the way") is the line/path that runs through the middle of the two

Meaning essentially 'the best strategy is to have one foot in order and one in chaos'

Which is exactly why Exposure Therapy literally cures* anxiety and PTSD

(*Given that the individual exposes themselves to Chaos voluntarily)

I used to think ancient cultures were dumb

And that *we* were the enlightened ones

well, I've certainly changed my tune on that...

A few days ago a work colleague convicted of killing his one year old baby by force feeding it. He was sent down for 14 years. 

Only 6 people at work know this (out of 200). So yeah that's pretty much hot off the press.

To add to the good news, a lady at work who was a bit of an alcoholic was mown over by her equally alcoholic partner/boyfriend in a drunken fight/argument in a pub carpark. She's been in critical condition for a month or so but has recently been declared braindead. The scumbag bloke is in a whole world of trouble. I think the machine is about to be turned off for her. Very sad.

I got a few more things, if you're interested.....

The word 'tawdry', as in shabby, comes from a type of lace called St. Audrey's Lace. This was initially very high quality stuff but the quality declined over time and colloquially it became known as 'tawdry lace' (from the running together of Saint Audrey, like 'saintaudrey'. Hence the word tawdry meaning shabby or poor quality.

The word 'eavesdrop' comes from the Old English 'yfesdrype' or 'eaves-drip', the overhanging part of a thatched roof outside the building, where somebody would stand if they wanted to hear what was being said within.

Edit: just realised that this is two things but oh well.

In the 70s being vegetarian in the USA meant you were a communist; a guy I know through work was beaten up in the dining area of a restaurant in Ann Arbor (which would have been one of the more sympathetic towns in the country at the time) by two cooks and the manager for ordering a salad in 1975.

i have no idea if this is classified or not but I was told that the ROK army actually has equipment for paratroopers to cut through tree limbs and brush, enabling them to parachute into forested areas most would consider too dangerous to airdrop into. they are literally tree cutting suits they put on and leave after they managed to get on to the ground

1 of the ancient indigenous British myths concerning the actual location of the Underworld, Annwn of the dead ruled by Arawn, was the Preseli Hills in Pembrokeshire

these are the same hills sourced for Stonehenge's oldest & most revered megaliths, the Bluestones, but this interpretation isnt established in the archaeological canon

steve-davis-05.jpg

In New Zealand there is a species of flightless Fly (Mystacinobia zelandica) which lives only on the bodies of a single native bat species. It feeds on its host's feces and has formed a proto-caste system in which females tend to and rear all the larvae and males defend the colonies by emitting a shrill frequency, all of this happening on and around the roosting bats.

81_Batfly_05-600x454.jpg

In New Zealand there is a species of flightless Fly (Mystacinobia zelandica) which lives only on the bodies of a single native bat species. It feeds on its host's feces and has formed a proto-caste system in which females tend to and rear all the larvae and males defend the colonies by emitting a shrill frequency, all of this happening on and around the roosting bats.

81_Batfly_05-600x454.jpg

what makes them a fly if they cant...fly?

81_Batfly_05-600x454.jpg

what makes them a fly if they cant...fly?

Good question! Other than lacking a pair of wings Mystacinobia shares key physiological features with other insects in the order Diptera so it is a 'flightless fly', yes.

Speaking of Flightless flies, did you know that the largest completely terrestrial animal in Antarctica (meaning one that spends all its time on land) is another flightless fly: Belgica antarctica, the flightless midge! Wings were slowly done away with as the harsh freezing wings of Antarctica would carry the winged insects asunder. 

_76829483_image3.jpg

This insect (Antarctica's only insect btw) can survive freezing temperatures with a sort of protein-based antifreeze and its dark purple body can absorb what little heat is available from the scant sunlight.

Archived