IGNORED

Burial - Young Death / Nightmarket

berndspring1974

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nightmarket is definitely the better of the two tracks but, overall... yeah, it's pretty underwhelming  :shrug:... I still love older Burial, but he's kinda lost me with the last couple releases, I didn't care for Rival Dealer much either, Temple Sleeper was just ok.

Burial is so weirdly non-commital sometimes. Nightmarket could have really gone somewhere, but whenever it gets into a groove, it's like Burial says "ahh scrap that" and just does something else. I like Young Death a lot except for some of the vocal bits, but it kind of frays out in a few spots. Temple Sleeper is committed, but it's so simple it's boring. The piece with Zomby is messy and cringey. Why can't they flesh out their compositions more?

Rough Sleeper is a treat still, and pretty cohesive, I still have hope that they can pull out a few more full, fleshed out tracks. It's frustrating though

Burial is so weirdly non-commital sometimes. Nightmarket could have really gone somewhere, but whenever it gets into a groove, it's like Burial says "ahh scrap that" and just does something else. 

Yeah part of we was like "did he leave the percussion track on mute, render and export it, then realized he did this after he turned it in for mastering?"

I liked Nightmarket more but overall this EP is a bit of a yawner and I can say that after multiple listens with and without headphones. I liked it but it didn't hook me in like Rival Dealer did. 

leaked

(HDB100BURIAL - NIGHTMARKET.mp3)

hahaha, I love it. good catch whoever pointed out that it needs more gun shells though

I just... the mental image of wisp painstakingly recreating the signature Burial garage shuffle cracks me up.

I think I actually like this more than the real deal.

Burial is so weirdly non-commital sometimes. Nightmarket could have really gone somewhere, but whenever it gets into a groove, it's like Burial says "ahh scrap that" and just does something else. I like Young Death a lot except for some of the vocal bits, but it kind of frays out in a few spots. Temple Sleeper is committed, but it's so simple it's boring. The piece with Zomby is messy and cringey. Why can't they flesh out their compositions more?

Rough Sleeper is a treat still, and pretty cohesive, I still have hope that they can pull out a few more full, fleshed out tracks. It's frustrating though

Part of the charm of Burial to me is that it all comes across so incredibly simple.

First post after many years of lurking. Rival Dealer is underrated in his catalog. Sick tunes on that one. This 12" has been growing on me a lot. 

Crossing fingers for more soon. No evidence, but it does feel like this is a precursor to...something. 

I think he has already released some albums under another name. At least that's my theory.

Yeah his stuff as Four Tet is pretty decent... :emotawesomepm9:

As ever I am left scratching my head as to how Burial makes his compositional decisions; like, how to place what where, add a sample here etc. I mean, I suppose one could wonder the same for any music but these more recent Burial 'vignette collection' tracks stand so far outside of traditional composition & arrangement that I really can't predict where the track will take me as I listen, repeated sample choices and aesthetics not withstanding.

And I love the perfectly imperfect production, the way lossy pitch-shift artifacts are embraced rather than hidden, all the clicks from hastily cutting and pasting mp3 samples... It could all either be completely slap-dash or he may have spent the better part of the past year making only these two tracks and agonising over each crackle. We'll not know, nor would I want to particularly. All I know is that his music comes from a genuine place and it moves me.

Archived