IGNORED

Burial - Young Death / Nightmarket

berndspring1974

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I have is about 18 1/2 minutes long. Slow as Hell, and fucking beautiful.

Is that a normal musician's 18.5 minute long piece or a Burial '9 lots of 2-minute snippets of stuff strung together by periods of vinyl crackle and street noises' piece ?

I don't understand people dissing Burial in this way ^^

He has created an engaging distraction from "tracks" proper with these audio vignettes he now creates, however occasionally.

They are absolutely brilliant with headphones and take me away like a good radio show or storyteller. Perfect when i just want to disappear at work.

truly a joy to have you back for an xmas treat B, xoxo

just balancing the hater/fanboy ratio musicmakers, xo to u too

For me it's mainly cos it sounds more like flipping through a Boomkat preview of an album rather than actually hearing an album, I never hear enough of the track for it to develop properly. He used to be able to maintain a single idea for more than a minute or two and I'm just hoping he goes back to that again one day (e.g. the below lovely track)

yeah i totally agree with you on that actually pete, there are so many bits i'd prefer fleshed out for sure.

bit of a tease and seems a little like he couldn't commit fully to a beat pattern sometimes lol, i kinda get it though. like dilla sketches

What I have is about 18 1/2 minutes long. Slow as Hell, and fucking beautiful.

Is that a normal musician's 18.5 minute long piece or a Burial '9 lots of 2-minute snippets of stuff strung together by periods of vinyl crackle and street noises' piece ?

You're gonna hate it.  haha

this is beautiful stuff. it's sorta like he's managed to assimilate some elements of come down to us into his style but in a non-cringeworthy manner this time round.

your young death should be around 5:35, and nightmarket around 7:08.

For me it's mainly cos it sounds more like flipping through a Boomkat preview of an album rather than actually hearing an album, I never hear enough of the track for it to develop properly. He used to be able to maintain a single idea for more than a minute or two and I'm just hoping he goes back to that again one day (e.g. the below lovely track)

I mean this was definitely the case for Truant / Rough Sleeper, but otherwise I don't think he's done too much like that, has he? Most of the shorter bits on the other EPs tend to be more ambient in nature, which reflect the ambient interludes on the albums. 

I mean this was definitely the case for Truant / Rough Sleeper, but otherwise I don't think he's done too much like that, has he? Most of the shorter bits on the other EPs tend to be more ambient in nature, which reflect the ambient interludes on the albums. 

yeah but i mean compare these:

2005:

2007:

2011:

2012:

2013:

there's a definite move towards something there, which is much more long-form and collagey.

that doesn't seem to sit well with the lovers of the first album, but the people who loved the second one seem to be much more on board with it in my experience.

First impressions:

Young Death: Like someone made a Burial parody. Extremely underwhelmed.

Nightmarket: Decent. Nice atmosphere.

Also: snippets of ideas strung together by periods of crackles.

EDIT: Anyone who nominates this in the "album of the year"-thread must die.

The only disappointment I have with the release is that Young Death is fantastic for just over 3 minutes and then it pewters out. Night Market is fine but isn't hitting me quite like his previous releases.

I would be very happy with a full LP built around Young Death, I think it's outstanding. I'm a big fan of Rough Sleeper, this track is hitting alot of the same nerves.

Archived