IGNORED

Burial - Young Death / Nightmarket

berndspring1974

I listened to this a couple times while programming today.

Overall I like it minus some of the spacey arps at the beginning of Young Death.

Nightmarket is incredible!

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Decent tracks but these will have to grow on me, he seems to have steered back to sonic territory that will please more watmmers than the most recent work and it's good but not. I like "Nightmarket" more upon first impression.

I suppose I was ready for oddly looped hi nrg rave breakbeats and cathartic emotional samples and all that stuff that made Rival Dealer so arresting. 

nevermind these were fakes

I hate to say this but one of those fakes stood out to me more than the actual tracks (turns out the other was a UK garage tune by Shanks & Bigfoot from '99)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhKHwXkDRe0

A shame for Hyperdub that the surprise was ruined yet again, but anyway, assuming the leaks are legit (and they sound it, even though the guy who did it ripped it at the wrong speed) then the outro arpeggio is straight sampled from this, with the obligatory vinyl crackle

Always liked that Rabit tune. John Carpenter meets VHS Head.

damn dude, nice catch - that synth bit explains the "stranger things" vibe someone mentioned

nevermind these were fakes

I hate to say this but one of those fakes stood out to me more than the actual tracks (turns out the other was a UK garage tune by Shanks & Bigfoot from '99)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhKHwXkDRe0

The real tracks were originally upped, and then the channel owner replaced them with craig david and shanks & bigfoot a few hours later. lol.

Really liking both tracks a lot, but I can't help feeling they'd work a lot better on an album, or tied with at least a couple more tracks to make it a really worthwhile EP. It seems increasingly likely that he's not really interested in doing albums now, but I hope he'll be putting out slightly longer releases in future at least. Maybe a 2xEP CD release like Beat did for Street Halo / Kindred.

But yeah, the content is excellent.

Good stuff from Burial as always. 

Too bad it feels like all of his output is coming from Hyperdub demanding output from him. Almost a 26 Mixes for Cash vibe w/ AFX+Warp. Hehe. 

Wish he'd just organize his thoughts into an album. This slow trickle of 2 tracks a year for the last 5 years has been painful. X_X

Good stuff from Burial as always. 

Too bad it feels like all of his output is coming from Hyperdub demanding output from him. Almost a 26 Mixes for Cash vibe w/ AFX+Warp. Hehe. 

Wish he'd just organize his thoughts into an album. This slow trickle of 2 tracks a year for the last 5 years has been painful. X_X

strikes me that this is the release medium which he's happiest with.

As the biggest Burial fanboy in this forum I hate to say I'm a bit disappointed.

I like Young Death, It put me off at first with deep house vibes but It's already growing on me, that last section of the track is probably my favorite part of the release.

I can't get into Nightmarket though. I like me some synthwave every once in a while but this track just does nothing for me.

It's too early to tell really, when Rival Dealer came out I had the same thoughts iirc and it ended up growing on me hugely.

memba when burial used to make 2-step?

memba when he sampled christina aguilera?

oh, memba when he sampled michael jackson? i memba!

we don't live in 2010. if william bevan were to keep retreading old ground it would be really fucking boring. can't say that i'm over the moon with his recent fondness for new age music but at least i don't memba something similar.

This is far from mindblowing but I'm a sucker for Burial and this is quite nice. It's already one of my top EPs/singles of the year but only because 2016 was kind of a garbage fire of a year for new music overall imo. The direct lift of that Rabit - Tearz sample is lame because that song is only a few months old and a better version of the same sample. Other than that this is the usual style of strong vignettes, just wish they were a bit longer/more expanded.

I keep laughing at 3:09 in Nightmarket though as I can't help but picture Eric Wareheim at 1:29 to Kanye's "Famous" (is that the actual sample sped up I wonder?)

Archived