IGNORED

that one hipster house genre

marian

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regarding negative connotations. I often feel it as old-male-cat-and-grown-up-male-cat situation. There is some ageing jealousy, something like this.
Especially if you are involved in production process or bind yourself to some scene.
Speaking of music objectively I can't say it is crap since it is pretty decent stuff but I can't rid of "those damn kids!"-feeling yet.
I don't know what gonna be with me when a late 90 - early 00s german techno-house (in vein of early klang elektronik/playhouse, perlon, traum...) reincarnation will happen. I'm going to be super-jealous lol. And it is not so far idea/sound-wise. There was certain vibe though...

I had to say this.

My local mates which are younger than me for ~6 years and run their own label and do pretty big local festival were not interested in my recent stuff but when they heard my 13-10 yrs old tracks they gone really mad and decided to print this as 12" EP. I made most of them in 2004 when i was obsessed with Baby Ford's stuff (via German labels ForceTracks and Background Records) i also heard Rephlex's represses of Humanoid, Stakker Eurotechno and 808 State's Newbuild this time. I was also obsessed with history of rave, psychoactive chemistry, chicagoesque drum patterns and so on.

And yeah all ITB. 

EDIT: Ah also original title of that track was European Detroit Counterfeit

fao Sheathe (no glove no love? thats a joke btw)

again, its not "new" House thats the issue as previously mentioned, more the raft of poorly-made (to the point of inanity with taped effects etc), watered down (lets call a boring stack of wank exactly what it is) equivalents being heralded as something worthwhile

i can ruin your point further, with Ron Trent, Chez Damier, Larry Heard, Murk, MK, Glenn Underground, Mood II Swing, Black Science Orchestra, 95 North, Don Carlos, Faze Action, DSK, Mike Perras, One Dove/early Andrew Weatherall, Charles Webster/Love From San Fransisco, Vakula's gear from about 2000-onwards, labels like Nervous Records, Guidance, S4G/DiY Discs, 20:20 Vision, Glasgow Underground, Silver Network, Tweekin', the myriad of German labels from the noughties where lot of the latter are more contemporary......to enhance the point that this isnt an age-related argument.

what you're describing will go the same way as *96% of the direst shuffley uninspiring minimal guff Villalobos was playing a decade ago, ie forgotten, abandoned as McDonalds-esque remnants of an ADD-scene undermined by its own sense of actually meaning anything beyond the here/hear & now.

no-one will be listening to nevermind playing out the *96% of music listed ITT a decade from now & when you try & sell it on (if vinyl) around this time you'll find you'll be lucky to get pennies back for your entire investment.

*96% rule, ie that 96% of ALL House is fuckin terrible, but that 4%.....thats where sifting for nuggets registers genuine results.

i wont besmirch your interest further other than to say there are plenty of olde creaky bastards out there slowly selling off chunks of olde record collections & there are some superb deals going on Discogs if you know your House music.

Are some of these tracks actually recorded to tape or recorded in some other analog way (like mic to speakers), or is it all plugins?  Real as real.

Paging dude who said he is friends with the scene itself or whatever~

I posted The Cyclist earlier and he did all his stuff with hardware samplers and Tascam mixer.

Also while not part of the "genre" we speak of Nathan Fake and Luke Abbot have mentioned mastering / re-recording their tracks on cassette tape decks, not so much as overt lo-fi sound but subtle warmth.

to get academic, anyone here an admirer of Lo-Soul aka Peter Kremeier?

https://www.discogs.com/artist/1531-LoSoul?sort=year%2Casc&limit=500

given how diverse House music was even by the mid-late 90's & with the commercial presence of distributors, shitty clubs and derivative guff pumped by big-name repeat offenders, he got into a lovely gritty stripped down groove for a while that still had soul, swing and twelfty fathoms of deepness......his tunes could be quite "tracky" but could work either at home, in the car or on a big chunky rig. They would draw you in as a listener and thats what i dont here from a lot of the music posted ITT, with obvious exceptions (Voodoo Ray never ages ffs).

considering how much previous mint House is still out there to be discovered, i mean i'm still trying to process all the DJ Sprinkles/Thaemlitz

the thing i dislike the most with some of these releases is A) their transgression of the glory & emotionality that true "deep House" inspires in humans, and B) its attempt to "transfigure the commonplace", ie he name tags reek of it with irrelevant personal histories/biographies and some form of 90's nostalgia aside isnt enough to elevate it to what else is out there.

Finally, imagine an imaginary early 90's producer with the tag "Ritchie From Happy Days" doling out empty derivative 4/4, production process values outweighing the end result. It wouldnt have worked then & it doesnt work now.

To lighten the burden of reading any of this, here's some real House music both recent & vintage:

Mr Huckaby...

Blaze @ the peak of their powers:

Blaze get remixed by Ralph Lawson & the 20:20 Vision crew:

Juan Atkins's's's' "Is This Real?" never left me bag even today:

Theo P's "Orchestra Hall", slays dancefloors with a quality system it borders the esoteric:

and Kerri Chadler could fill an entire thread of his own:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fb466TZboyA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcPPOsc18Cg

giphy.gif

and to Sheathe, fuck all personal chap/chapess, play & buy what you "feel", just remember the versatile heritage & incredible arsenal of weapons at your sonic disposal

Would be nice if people could maybe post more of that kind of music this thread is kind of about. Like, instead of the kind of music that is already in kind of a lot of other threads on this forum. But then again, if people kind of did that they wouldn't get to flex their kind of amazingly deep knowledge of kind of okay music. 

Respect. Amazing. Heritage. 

giphy.gif

ok, i admit i don't know that much older house muic, but this is one of my favs:

here's a newer one i like too that isn't brofi, more like Q3 2014 "outsider"-->transitional--> "second wave lofi" era hybrid format

Would be nice if people could maybe post more of that kind of music this thread is kind of about. Like, instead of the kind of music that is already in kind of a lot of other threads on this forum. But then again, if people kind of did that they wouldn't get to flex their kind of amazingly deep knowledge of kind of okay music. 

Respect. Amazing. Heritage. 

giphy.gif

The tracks listed are a comparative bunch of gear that should put the derivative bollix to shame

If you see that as someone on an ego/knowledge trip, thats says more about you sorry bwlad & you dont really seem to grasp humour either, indeed such is the vastness of my superior insights, you shall henceforth address me as Lord of all House, or DJ Mixxy, or Heritage-House Archaetosser or....

House isnt usually a genre referenced or mined here, so to see a thread at all with so much pretentious guff, well.........see thats the thing, us old cunts just dont know how to hang.

I've tried to assimilate, but the flat cap, roll up cigs, pipe n slippers dont match any club door policies.

When i wore my nice shiny 75%polyester/nylon Matalan tracksuit recently, all the young people laughed while taking picture with their e-phones. So after that trauma, i stopped going out at all, the humiliation of it their smirks was too much.

So its just me, the missus, the records which she wants cleared out so she can have a "sewing room" and the dog, and he shat on the bed y'day too.

Jack Russell for sale? He eats shoes doe.

Fuck man, you didn't even read my post. You're just dropping obvious "true house" sign posts to an imaginary opponent.

My main point is, there's lots of new dance music that is authentically being made for and reflective of a new context and narrative which you seem incapable of grasping. Never once did I say a word for or against the stuff itt, but there is so much else out there, and to think everyone is using legowelt's smackos tape deck effect rack is hilariously reactionary.

Thats right, i was so frenzied with the intensity of hate, actual reading became a purposeless irrelevance.

Point is you didnt support it with anything substantial musically and maybe a few of these archaic tracks pricked your ear interest - not rocket science is it....and i thought we could be fwends, god dammit.

If you had read what was typed you'd have grasped that the general drift was about pseudo house vs whats already out there and the gulf/guff in quality, therefore specific case studies help.

If that irks you, i can get "thou shalt not" tattooed on my chest just like Kenneth Anger's huge "LUCIFER" ink, just to illustrate how the pho realzest cats hang, yoof.

Kenneth-Anger-the-America-001.jpg

well, the problem is i can't post much in this thread because it's under the DJ Boring umbrella, and the music i'm more inspired by isn't that, nothing against him. it would just make a big mess. plus, i'm really not interested in proving that "x" music is good. but that track i posted above, mitsuda, is a good example of something made recently that is really top of the line/beyond reproach. my point is, melodically, there are things out there now that have a different language that, to me, offer something huckaby doesn't. it's not that it supersedes that era/style, it just has something new that wasn't there before.

i also think that just because something is distorted or saturated doesn't necessarily make it amateurish or bad. a lot of the dance music from the past few years has been a really new merge of noise and house/techno 

i used to make house music when i was a kid where i would go to a house and record it with my phone, like the air conditioner and the dryer vent and the sound of the toilet flushing, all from outside in the yard. each track would just be the address.

i used to make house music when i was a kid where i would go to a house and record it with my phone, like the air conditioner and the dryer vent and the sound of the toilet flushing, all from outside in the yard. each track would just be the address.

Sooo, Matthew Herbert.

Also, Better Off Alone is one of those pretty good shitty tracks.  I was 17~18 when that shit was regularly on the radio.  Listening to it just now, it reminds me that I used to be so fucking horny, cuz the girl who eventually became my girlfriend in art school used to sing that track and she was so hot.  

"Dude, so you listen to house?"  "Yah, man- Alice Deejay and Sonique are cool."

Also...:

Pure house poetry.

cwmbrancity, I don't always agree with what you say and I'm ignorant when it comes to a lot of what you've shared when it comes house music, but I fucking love the way you say it. Genuine laughs were had and I tip my hat.

Archived