IGNORED

Quora: why are so many musicians fascinated by autechre?

Draft78

just found this open question in the net.. i post it just because the Knute Snortum's answer is cool:

https://www.quora.com/Why-are-so-many-musicians-fascinated-by-Autechre

..Meshuggah are mentioned in the question ... well, I've seen them play a few hours ago, and at times there was a real kinship with Autechre, not only in the mathematical tangles, but in the overall impression of a huge meta-musical gear, in movement. Live, this aspect is more evident than to home listening.

Some musicians like Ae and some don't, just like other people. The question assumes that the musicians who like them must have some special reason. What if the musicians who like them just like their music like the rest of us?

Ae are pretty up front about their lack of formal musical training. Doesn't surprise me that musicians would look down on their stuff. Who gives a fuck though, honestly?

That's a complete joke

Autechre's instrumental variety eclipses what one human can play on an instrument individually.  It's literally impossible.  A highly skilled orchestra could not even replicate it.  Nobody takes into account timbral and textural modulation as high as they should.  

I'm not fanboying but just saying the truth about physical vs. electronic music capabilities for even the best instrumentalists.  It's no longer even hard to match that in complexity using computers.  It's not some comparison of old vs. new it's just a realistic comparison, no pianist can say "Hahaha I can play that on my piano" because they can't create any of those textures with any physical instrument except computers.  It has to be 

/wayTooAttemptedSeriouseResponseOnSomethingThatDoesn'tMatter,ThatItsLol,Lol.

it's funny because squarepusher has got all that musical training and whatnot, but imo his music is harmonically and melodically less dense than autechre's a lot of times (that doesn't mean i'm not a huge fan of his music)

I know many musicians who actually laugh at autechre. Like literally laugh. for a jazzman or guitarist, melodically, autechre is really ordinary

"guitarist" lol, just... lol

Guitarded

form vs content. interesting thing about ae i that ppl think that the form is what makes them that good.

and, pls, what do jazzmen know about content? let them think about vletrmx21 for a second...

and for that matter many like ae cause of the formal part, their technical mastery. justifiably, yes, but they miss the genius part

I know many musicians who actually laugh at autechre. Like literally laugh. for a jazzman or guitarist, melodically, autechre is really ordinary

"guitarist" lol, just... lol
Guitarded

form vs content. interesting thing about ae i that ppl think that the form is what makes them that good.

and, pls, what do jazzmen know about content? let them think about vletrmx21 for a second...

and for that matter many like ae cause of the formal part, their technical mastery. justifiably, yes, but they miss the genius part

+1 FORM

Jazz musicians are notoriously tone-deaf to nuances of structure and timbre

For most of them, all they can hear are notes and phrases...i.e. if something can't be easily conveyed in standard musical notion, they can't even hear it

hm..always had the feeling that their musical genius is totally underrated.

Me too.  There's absolutely nothing like them.  They must be artistically valuable in an academic way or summin lel if someone really looked into it

is this a new watmmeme?

Archived