I'm getting old and the "Best Albums" thread made me realized I haven't been arsed to seek out any new music in... like... more than a year.

What's cool right now? Seriously I don't mean like what's on instagram or whatever but like in real life? Like, stuff that cool and/but non-IDM people are actually bobbing their heads to in the car?

Is it that lo-fi house that sounds kind of like the type of George Benson record they play in the men's dress shoes section of the mall?

demdike stare and wearing pants like this, every teen is running around like that in vienna at the moment (even in wintertime)

onlineImage.jpg

Is America ahead of this cuffed jeans thing, or did Europe start it, we copped it, then now it's retro again for Europe to grab it? Kids here in some scenes were on that years ago.

People have been doing this since the invention of jeans, especially in warm weather type places. 

yeah, you buy off the shelf trousers, they aren't tailored to the right length so you just fold them up. Then some kids see it and it becomes a thing. Then it goes away for a bit and the more functionally minded continue doing it and the next batch of kids copy the thing that they see as novel, and round and round it goes.

I don't know. I stopped following RA, Fact, pfork, stereogum, indiemusicheads, etc. most of this year. WATMM, friends, and local radio are my primary sources. That said I used Spotify a lot at work and it's Discover Weekly playlist has been a huge source of new stuff. It's also mostly recommended based on my listening habits. At this point it's a steady stream of music that is often new and rarely mainstream or "trendy" taste-maker bullshit.

Archived