IGNORED

New Aphex Twin 10" [TECH-004]

Icct

when?

There's no set schedule for releases; record pressing queues are quite backed up. Plus still sorting out some contenders for release. There's all sorts of Aphex stuff new/old... there were quite a few of the ravey soundcloud ones I'd really like to have on vinyl. Doesn't even necessarily have to be only one release by any of these guys either. Everyone has so many good tunes.

Make Rich or Tom (I'm still not sure who did the track) release the Rome track somehow please I beg.

That's Tom, and not a bad idea...

Welcome to Watmm, Todd :)

and yeah, fingers crossed for these gems to be finally released!

Okay so it sounds like there's an exclusivity clause (or something to that effect) with Warp, in which case it's quite awesome that you're finding ways to work around it to get things to happen. Reminds me of the story Rich told in interviews of back alley deals for remixes. Is there any way you could add some of us diehards to an email list or something? I don't do facebooks and I'd be willing to drive to a store if I didn't live so far away from civilization :)

As an aside a personal antecdote:

Over the past year I've visited the corporate music store that's the only record store within a normal distance (half an hour) from where I live, and I've been shot down for every release, every time. This store had a thriving electronic section even a few years ago, would regularly stock warp releases. They got the Cheetah ep in but not until a few weeks after release date. No new Orb. Definitely no Mike and Rich. But the weirdest was that they didn't have the new Tribe Called Quest in on release date, and got the cd in a week later but still no vinyl (christmas gift for gf). Pretty sure there's been others that I can't recall offhand. Is that a thing now with retail stores, releases getting online exclusive distro for the first week? Seems like it'd be antithetical to sheer sales numbers, but maybe it makes up for it in sales margins. Anyways good luck with the store!

Edited by Claudius t Ansuulim

Guest bitroast

Top move Todd, thanks for clarifying, I think the initial write-up of 'store-only, no digital, no online' left a bad taste in peoples mouth (myself included). I'm mostly relieved the exclusivity isn't done on purpose because that would just be a shame and a waste of (most likely) good tunes. Hope I get a shot at supporting this ;)

I totally understand. If I thought someone was screwing with music I loved I'd be pissed as well. The original post was only on my personal FB page so mostly meant as a heads up for local friends - not a public press release saying, "you can't have this", ha. Thanks

hiya. just wanted to say thanks for jumping in and explaining the sitch here.

and apologies for the initial negative reaction. very much thought it was more of a " " Manufactured exclusivity " " type thing instead of navigating around peoples / labels deals type thing. 

hope it goes smoothly and you're able to get some wider distribution on these releases cos us filthy foreigners are keen to hear :^)

Yeh, I was kinda rude in my initial posts there btw mr Super. Apologies for that. 

Now that you've explained it, it doesn't sound so bad. Still a bummer that the artists have to have a "workaround" for legal restrictions on distributing their material but when you put it like that you're actually doing a good thing..

Hope I'm able to get my hands on some of the delicious tunes that are sure to come out (saw some of your expected roster).

Edited by Bulk VanderHooj

when?

There's no set schedule for releases; record pressing queues are quite backed up. Plus still sorting out some contenders for release. There's all sorts of Aphex stuff new/old... there were quite a few of the ravey soundcloud ones I'd really like to have on vinyl. Doesn't even necessarily have to be only one release by any of these guys either. Everyone has so many good tunes.

Make Rich or Tom (I'm still not sure who did the track) release the Rome track somehow please I beg.

That's Tom, and not a bad idea...

Welcome to Watmm, Todd :)

and yeah, fingers crossed for these gems to be finally released!

post-3953-0-75335900-1481598683_thumb.jpg

in my dubious opinion, i'd say a one copy per customer policy is warranted, and Todd should realize he's gonna get email requests for mail order for the Aphex release from all over the world, that guy is an artist with a global fanbase.  mail order would be a great way to go, at least for US orders, although international postage / weight can get tedious and attract complaints from impatient customers.  A mailing list would be excellent for heads up of new releases, but that's up to Todd's mission statement and agreements with other labels.  it would be cool to make a pilgrimage to MI just to see this place, if the label releases do indeed put it on the IDM map, lol.  An epic quest to overcome airlines, driving dangerous roads, avoid enemy cops and snowy wintery conditions to reach your holy grail of a limited vinyl disc.  it's an IDM RPG

*all opinions from said RF are completely made up and do not represent the actual conditions in this town

maybe blerp will carry the Aphex 10" for EU customers...

Guest bitroast

it would just suck so bad if you went there and they were "out of stock sorry"

like when Wallyworld was closed

ms paint skills 10/10 imo 

Fhy1zdl.jpg

Thanks, everyone.

Definitely no hard feelings; I understand where you all were coming from with my vague post - It was made/directed at friends in the immediate area.

I know you all are true fans so I wanted to make sure you knew where I was coming from and that it was no intentional slight against you guys that love the tunes.

And as others have earlier pointed out, yes, Ypsilanti is kind of a dilapidated, irradiated, North American pile but it's our home and I love it... and also the only city in the universe that hosted the Rephlex 20th Anniversary after Chicago went bust, ha

Also, re: the Rome tunes.

That's Tom, and there's a whole LP of those he did long ago.

I really am going to check into whether there's a chance at them being released. I'd imagine there's some reason they're not out already but I'll at least give it a go.

Guest bitroast

I really am going to check into whether there's a chance at them being released. I'd imagine there's some reason they're not out already but I'll at least give it a go.

T1QQlHx.gif

Sheeiit.

This is almost on par with Rich confirming "in the heat"

As stated earlier, I work in Dearborn, not too far from Ypsi. If there's releases yall want, I can give Todd a call to check on availability and how many he'd sell per one customer.

Kinda sounds like a highly sought after craft beer release. ha.