IGNORED

Possible move from Buzz to Ableton.

mcbpete

This is a repeat post of what was of yesterday's board. So yeah, I'm thinking of finally shifting from Buzz to Ableton after 5 years of constant use (and 15 years of constant tracker use) and would live some advice in the possibility of shifting.

If there like a step sequencer mode a la tracking. I've tried using the ReVisit VSTi/Vst but its hella buggy so isn't really an option. Basically I want the power/stability of Ableton but the ease of use of Buzz (yeah I know some folks think Ableton is MUCH MUCH easier, but I'm grown up with trackers so the change is pretty mind blowing).

Cheers again.;

Pete...

Guest heliumbaboon

you could try putting a column of clips down a track in session view and setting the follow action to 'next' on all of them. then you could draw you automations into the individual clips. maybe that would be a similar to how trackers work. it's a very open ended program, so i'm sure you can figure out some common ground. good luck to you.

It's been my expirience that no matter what, the interface of what you're using determines what you will get outve it. This could be different for you or anyone else, but for me, I just cannot write decent music at all without a tracker style interface. This, I'm quite sure, has something to do with me starting to write music in my early teens. My brain was still ever so slightly finishing up developing and tweaking itself out, and it locked trackers in there right connected to "music creation". Ive tried switching to other things because of features or power or whatnot, but its to no avail.

Right now Im using ReNoise (which 5% sucks because its the damn FT2 style interface.. S3m/IT forever!!!!!!), because it sounds goddamn good, is a decent VST host, and well, you can make good musics with it I think.

Just my two cents of thinking long and hard before investing a ton of time/money/etc into something that might end up just being more frustration than reward.

Guest heliumbaboon

i made this file just to try to make live4 act trackerish. it's just the think break w/ next follow actions & some clip envelopes (sample offset & a filter sweep at the end). just start the 1st clip and it should run thru it by itself. may sound familiar.

heliumbaboon_tracker.zip

I'm drunk.

It all comes down to what you feel comfrtable wiht.

I feel comfortable with buzz..

If you feel comfortable with buzz, I suggest you stick with it.

But yeah like i said in the previous fourm, Ableton is good if ouy want to do live stuff.. I have only used it to compile loops live, not to do 'sequencing'.. so something~!

i made this file just to try to make live4 act trackerish. it's just the think break w/ next follow actions & some clip envelopes (sample offset & a filter sweep at the end). just start the 1st clip and it should run thru it by itself. may sound familiar.

heliumbaboon_tracker.zip

Cheers for the download. God I hate feeling so alien to this. I have no idea how that single channel even works. I can see the loop repeated downwards but how is each section is programmed differently completely eludes me. I've tried single clicking, double clicking, right clicking, switching between Session view and Arrangement view but nothing seems to show how the thing was programmed. This freaks me out cos Buzz really seems almost completely out of use now due to recent stability problems with this laptop (100% CPU & 280 Mb of Ram, on a completely blank arrangement, and no I don't have spy/ad ware, virus' etc. normal 'puter usage is only 1-2% CPU use) but I also cannot seem to figure out programming in Ableton one bit.

So at the moment I'm in a music limbo, but I've got to construct a soundtrack for my final year project or I'm fucked. So either struggle and use Buzz with lockups, immediate quits without warning, glitchy playback or learn from scratch something with musical concepts that I'm completely alien to. This is bad. :unsure:

This freaks me out cos Buzz really seems almost completely out of use now due to recent stability problems with this laptop (100% CPU & 280 Mb of Ram, on a completely blank arrangement, and no I don't have spy/ad ware, virus' etc. normal 'puter usage is only 1-2% CPU use) but I also cannot seem to figure out programming in Ableton one bit.

Something is really wrong there. I have a Celeron 266 w/ 128meg RAM laptop running 98se and it can run Buzz just fine. Obviously not with all of the machines I could load in on my P4 2.8 ghz 1gig RAM desktop, but it can still run buzz and some machines no problem. What sortve CPU do you have? Hows your hard drive space? Are you SURE you don't have anything running in the background? Sound card drivers fucked up?

Also, have you tried ReNoise?

Guest Josefmcb

why not try a reinstall? my buzz ends up completely shizzd every 6 months-ish and i have to go back to an old install or reinstall it.

getting to grips with new software would be fine if you were just pissing around, but for a project i would've thought it's probably best to try to sort out the prog you're used to.

EDIT: oh wait i've just read your posts at buzzmachines.com- i guess yuo've tried all that shizzle. oh well

Mr.Joe D'Kellm-> Yeah I really don't want to move/learn a new program now, I really should have noticed this stuff before. But time wasn't on my side.

ten fingers ten toes-> There sure is a problem, my crappy old 256Mb AMD 1500+ laptop had no problems running this stuff either (except for some of Joe's more demanding tracks :) ) and I'm currently running an AMD Athlon 3700+ with 1Gb of ram. And virtually nothing else is running (like I said, I currently have around 1-2% CPU use on an idle desktop). I don't think its the drivers either as other music software on here works fine.

Oddly when I go to View -> Preferences and select a soundcard the CPU drops to about 5-10% use, but as soon as you OK/Cancel the requester it shoots back up to 100% again. Even using Silent as the audio driver makes it go back up to 100%. eek!

ten fingers ten toes-> There sure is a problem, my crappy old 256Mb AMD 1500+ laptop had no problems running this stuff either (except for some of Joe's more demanding tracks :) ) and I'm currently running an AMD Athlon 3700+ with 1Gb of ram. And virtually nothing else is running (like I said, I currently have around 1-2% CPU use on an idle desktop). I don't think its the drivers either as other music software on here works fine.

Oddly when I go to View -> Preferences and select a soundcard the CPU drops to about 5-10% use, but as soon as you OK/Cancel the requester it shoots back up to 100% again. Even using Silent as the audio driver makes it go back up to 100%. eek!

I'd just start reinstalling everything on that laptop. Windows, try different soundcard drivers, directx, everything. There is no way in hell that thing shouldn't be a perfectly adequate Buzz host. Just blow it all up and reinstall everything, there has to be a culprit. I suppose it could be the hardware itself, is Windows behaving oddly at all on it? Anything else not running right on there?

Nope, Buzz is the ONLY thing on here not working. The laptop itself is real new as well. Only about 2 months worth of stuff on here (if that) so I don't think a reinstall is required.

My only guess is that Buzz is having severe problems coping with my Athlon64 (even though its only working in 32bit mode as I'm running normal Windows XP) but I haven't heard anyone else having a similar problem.

Damnit, why does it have to break now....

Erm. For some reason it now works. I seemed to just uninstalled it (again for the third time) restarted the computer and installed it again. And erm it works !!!

Cheers everyone by the way.

This is a thank-you track now that I've got teh Buzzingtons back in order. I forgot how fun this program was to use again. A track in the style of a C64 loading music (meeting the required c64 sid-tech standards natch : Well maybe not, but in that vein anyways) ).

This is a thank-you track now that I've got teh Buzzingtons back in order. I forgot how fun this program was to use again. A track in the style of a C64 loading music (meeting the required c64 sid-tech standards natch : Well maybe not, but in that vein anyways) ).

Ill have a listen when I get out of work! Glad your problems got sorted out.

Trackers forever man!

Archived