IGNORED

tired

Thiefinger

Good atmosphere. Somewhat enjoyed that the breaks came in rather late. Might have worked being a minute shorter I feel, there's a sense of having "discovered" everything after 5 minutes. Could be personal though.

I think its good but could be better. I think for me it takes way too long for the breaks to kick at which point it was struggling to maintain my interest. Also the breaks sounded like they had to much reverb on them when beats ought to be largely dry. Also I think I would have like to have heard a lead in there or riff / hook to come on top of your chords too and for the bassline to get a bit more busy once the beat kicks in. I really think the beats should come in from around 1.5-2 mins max. Anyways hope you take my criticism with a pinch of salt and I am to be constructive. ?

I dig the fractured nature of this track, in terms of the first half being very chill and having an after-hrs sorta feel, paired w the beats coming on towards the end 

In terms of the length, I don’t have an opinion on that, as my tracks tend to be entirely improvisational jams w myself. When i’m working on something of a longer duration, I solve that by just adding more things to it, to keep it interesting for myself - not a prescription, just my working method 

Also, I clicked on this because it said tired - definitely identify w the mental exhaustion, just getting back to working on stuff after months of stagnation, myself, so kudos for getting back into the swing of things 

/ I like the dreamy instrumentation. When the drums kicked in, it felt riotous ✊? would love to see the drums expanded, if anything, as they are a really good anchor 

Edited by jellied cope

Nice tape-saturated kinda feel on the synths at the start. The way the bass subtlely slides in is v.appropriate. Really good textural space all round in the first couple minutes. Captures the feeling of the title very well! Especially around two minutes in when the energy picks up a bit - you almost get the sense of someone pushing through a rut, consciously deciding to shake off the entropy.

The vocal line: gives me an interesting sensation. Immediate reaction is that it feels out of place compared to everything that came before, but then I find myself thinking that this actually works thematically. You've got this vocal that sounds like something out of a classic house or dnb track, something really extroverted & high energy (same with the drums that come in towards the end). But here they are in the context of this otherwise moody ambient track. Almost gives me the sense of someone who has experienced those sorts of high-energy realms, and is looking to slowly make their way back to them - but it's a process. There's this need to consciously break away from the logic of the more slumberous/exhausted mode, even if that means a jarring articulation. This track is like Badiou's idea of the event as a rupture in the pre-existing logical totality of the state: it captures the moment at which one consciously decides to seek out a new pattern, even if that means letting go of the pattern they had been carrying out previously.

Great track. Personally I imagine I'd prefer it without the singing, the rest of it has its own identity but the vocal has strong Burial vibes. But then I don't much care for Burial so that's probably affecting my perception.

• 2 weeks later...

I think this song is really awesome for what it is, a burial like ambient track. Track length was not an issue for me at all, but it did feel a bit over the top repetitive at times. I would also widen the sound of those drums as thebro said, as theyre a bit muddied in the current mix. Overall really cool track and look forward to you posting more stuff dude!

• 4 weeks later...

Very pleasant track. Beautiful chords and progression but it lacks contrast. Add some fine low volume dry glitches/micro rhythms and sizzling/fuzz and place them in the foreground to contrast the dreamy/lush sound of the track and to add some counterbalance to the roominess. Imho

Edited by dingformung

This is really great, those breakbeats have a really cool tone that matches the vibe of the track, I don't know what you did to them but it's awesome. And yes the vocals definitely remind me of burial... I guess it's the spookiness of putting soul vocals under a ton of reverb. Sounds great

• 4 weeks later...

the vocal sample definitely gives off a burial vibe. i like it

a touch more crispness to the break/certain elements of the break would work nicely i think, add a little extra contrast

A strong Burial vibe came to mind, but one well-captured in its own right. Length not an issue, could always add more contrast and harmonic variation for greater dynamic structure. Perhaps a bit more body in the drums. Otherwise, I really liked it!