Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Legit introduction? Thoughts?

Anywhoo props for including the Buck Tick remix, definition of timeless. Those negative edge bass drums... mmmmh!

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it's great but not as an intro tbh

when introducing someone to ae I would never open with elseq/NTS ~10 min stuff (i've been quite critical about NTS but i don't think that's the case here), I would very much likely go with Altbizz / Montreal / r ess to give a taste and make the person want for more

I also don't understand why Exai is nonexistent in the list; it is not only my fav and also the very first album i listened to and for me it has a lot of good "intro to ae" moments

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, jaderpansen said:

Legit introduction? Thoughts?

Anywhoo props for including the Buck Tick remix, definition of timeless. Those negative edge bass drums... mmmmh!

first time i heard that track it was like 4am and I was on the rooftop dancefloor/outside area of a club called Simon's in gainesville FL in a proper for the environment state of mind and it hooked me hard and i didn't know anything about the track and didn't find out until years later that it was an Ae remix.  it may have been the first Ae track i ever heard actually. 1994.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, xflood as an opener is puzzling. Just slamming someone in the face right off the bat? Usually there's at least a few seconds of barely audible sounds before that happens :lol:
 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Exai is teh fucking god. 

i'm all for whatever playlists people put together. on streaming services it seems like something someone will just put on because lazy as fuck and also wanting surprises. 

i usually tell people who want to get into ae to start at the beginning and just go in order. spend a lot of time w/each release. 

hard to judge young people's habits these days when it comes to music. a lot of young people are into weird deep end shit. we had shows at work of some quite adventurous, noisy, droney, bombastic etc performances and loads a young people were well into it and totally captivated and open minded and connected to the thing they experienced. it was encouraging really. 

so, as for what's a good intro.. fuck it.. let people get in over their heads and swim to the surface for air if they need it. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

This is actually a really great playlist to give a nice cross-section of their discography. My only real complaint is that there are only two Quaristice (huge shoutouts to rale though, great tune) tracks and one EP7 track, which are two of my favorite releases. That's such a minor gripe though, I'm super happy with every track they did choose.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

i've made playlists of all sorts of things and as soon as i put one autechre track in the playlist it's followed by like 7 or 8 other Ae tracks because can't just pick one. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

A couple years ago I made a playlist of most of their "y-" tracks (y7, ylm0, yulquen, YJY UX & Yuop in that order). In retrospect that would work well as a chill mood sampler for the uninitiated. That is the only ae playlist I've really cared to retain, the rest don't get ongoing mileage.

 

Edited by Roo
  • Farnsworth 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Those 5 ys together are like a second off being precisely 30 mins as well. Good bedtime chill length.

Edited by Roo
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/15/2020 at 9:51 AM, Roo said:

A couple years ago I made a playlist of most of their "y-" tracks (y7, ylm0, yulquen, YJY UX & Yuop in that order). In retrospect that would work well as a chill mood sampler for the uninitiated. That is the only ae playlist I've really cared to retain, the rest don't get ongoing mileage.

 

lol i found that y-track mix a fun idea, i'm gonna try that

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/15/2020 at 1:01 PM, amad said:

I think it's great but not as an intro tbh

when introducing someone to ae I would never open with elseq/NTS ~10 min stuff (i've been quite critical about NTS but i don't think that's the case here), I would very much likely go with Altbizz / Montreal / r ess to give a taste and make the person want for more

I also don't understand why Exai is nonexistent in the list; it is not only my fav and also the very first album i listened to and for me it has a lot of good "intro to ae" moments

I don't agree with this idea of introducing someone to AE with a warm and inviting ambient track because that is not representative of most of their work. I don't necessarily agree with xflood either but I do think NTS works almost as a culmination of almost everything they had done up until that point. I reckon Dummy Casual Pt2 would be a great first track because it strikes a balance of dissonance & complexity with an easy to follow rhythm and brevity. I think as a first album tho Exai is less intimidating than NTS. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd make a chronological playlist for a proper newbie. Couple of tracks from each album and one from each EP. Let them sink into the whole thing over a couple of hours. 

There are undoubtedly a lot of people who are much more familiar with Ronald and Stewie's contemporaries and artists inspired by them, however, who won't find that much to be too overwhelming. In which case, this playlist does a pretty good job. Not enough Tri Repetae or Exai, but otherwise no complaints.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...