IGNORED

A beginner’s guide to Autechre

NewSchoolScience

2 hours ago, toaoaoad said:

What kind of "guide to Autechre" skips an entire 10 year span including some of their most significant output (confield/draft/untilted/quaristice)?!  

:facepalm:

Guess you could say they...

...Overstepped a few things

• Haha 1
  • Farnsworth 1

1 hour ago, hijexx said:
4 hours ago, toaoaoad said:

What kind of "guide to Autechre" skips an entire 10 year span including some of their most significant output (confield/draft/untilted/quaristice)?!  

Guess you could say they...

...Overstepped a few things

eu1sXjB_d.webp?maxwidth=728&fidelity=gra

4 hours ago, NewSchoolScience said:

I can't respect an article about Autechre that doesn't mention the brilliance of Untilted.

2 minutes ago, Hugh Mughnus said:

Why do they need a bandcamp and bleepstore? Why not just one or the other? (Not sure how fees/warps cut works...)

Why wouldn't they use everything possible just in case? They lose what exactly? Some people prefer bandcamp as a place to buy music. Warp may not like it coz of the fee, but the cut from Spotify, Apple music etc. gotta be incomparably lower, yet they are there (and not in one streaming service but all of them).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Amen Lare said:

Why wouldn't they use everything possible just in case? They lose what exactly? Some people prefer bandcamp as a place to buy music. Warp may not like it coz of the fee, but the cut from Spotify, Apple music etc. gotta be incomparably lower, yet they are there (and not in one streaming service but all of them).

I don’t know. I tend to consolidate as much as I can. I don’t store my schoolwork on multiple drives, I don’t have a separate fridge for meat, produce, and dairy etc. Lol

Thats precisely what I’m asking is what the benefits are as it would make more sense to me to keep it in one place (streaming services aside as that’s a different form of revenue). If they take a smaller cut using bandcamp or bleepstore why not just... direct fans to where they get a bigger cut?

honest question I’m not criticizing or anything 

Edited by Hugh Mughnus

Oh, I guess I missed something obvious - you can stream from bandcamp but not the bleepstore right? That makes sense then lol. Derp. Me and my iPod ?

Edited by Hugh Mughnus

8 minutes ago, Hugh Mughnus said:

I don’t know. I tend to consolidate as much as I can. I don’t store my schoolwork on multiple drives, I don’t have a separate fridge for meat, produce, and dairy etc. Lol

Thats precisely what I’m asking is what the benefits are as it would make more sense to me to keep it in one place (streaming services aside as that’s a different form of revenue). If they take a smaller cut using bandcamp or bleepstore why not just... direct fans to where they get a bigger cut?

honest question I’m not criticizing or anything 

You, like, answered your question yourself -- if you consolidate most of the stuff on, say, bandcamp (one fridge for everything), why would you go to other places (separate fridge for Ae, separate fridge for this, another one for that) for some unknown cut economy every time?

It even maybe so that keeping up bleepstore is costlier than using bandcamp for a label. Tho that's not a question of label's convenience but customer's. You keep it in one place and have less customers as a result.

• Like 2

Thanks. I don’t really agree though as a consumer it’s kind of frustrating having so many storefronts. The only real analogy I can make is vidja games - every big company under the sun now has their own exclusive “launchers” where there’s exclusive rewards etc. Just use steam damn lol. I’d rather just know exactly where to go for all things chre’. 

I don’t think given their fan base it will result in any tangible extra market penetration tbh but I understand what you’re saying. Anyways I’ll stop distracting from the OP. 

It's pretty nice to read a small retrospective that doesn't just completely gush over Confield for 3 paragraphs, even if it deserves it. I do agree that them skipping so much is bizarre though.

@Hugh Mughnus Think of it like people having only bandcamp instead of most of us that have a Bleep or autechre.ws account going on. Bandcamp is super easy to use and can get a fair bit of exposure out for those that don't yet know there's something else they could love.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, xyrofen said:

It's pretty nice to read a small retrospective that doesn't just completely gush over Confield for 3 paragraphs, even if it deserves it. I do agree that them skipping so much is bizarre though.

@Hugh Mughnus Think of it like people having only bandcamp instead of most of us that have a Bleep or autechre.ws account going on. Bandcamp is super easy to use and can get a fair bit of exposure out for those that don't yet know there's something else they could love.

Ahh ok yeah I gotcha. Sorry I’m a bit slow. This makes sense for sure. In this regard honestly I’d prefer it on bandcamp since I do about 50% of my purchasing on there. Thx xyr ?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, toaoaoad said:

its almost comical, like did they just read the list of albums, start making a summary, get bored and skip to the last few ones?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Hugh Mughnus said:

Also the streaming capabilities etc that bleepstore doesn’t have. The bleepstore is kinda redundant now then since we could just... buy this stuff off of regular bleep.com?

AE_LIVE was exclusive for the bleepstore for a long time, and some of the merch too. AE_LIVE 14-15 is now available on regular bleep, but 16-18 still isn't. And there are the Warp Tapes too...

Ae still makes better use of the own bleepstore, as most the other warp artists ('Pusher, Plaid). Seefeel has a few exclusives on his bleepstore too. 

Edited by Chabraendeky
  • Like 1

I love bandcamp but I agree — pretty mediocre article and of course I have all the music already.

BUT I did want 2 bump this thread to point out: the COVER ART of several of the bandcamp releases here is pretty high-quality (1200 x 1200 — higher than I’ve been able to find elsewhere for myself anyway, and fairly crispy in most cases), so if you’re like me and always looking to beef up the embedded artwork 4 your files, click around on these release pages and snarf away

PUMPED to have rather crispy GANTZ GRAF album art for my files all of a sudden!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3