IGNORED

A beginner’s guide to Autechre

NewSchoolScience

On 10/17/2020 at 1:36 AM, xyrofen said:

It's pretty nice to read a small retrospective that doesn't just completely gush over amber & tri rep for 3 paragraphs, even if it deserves it. I do agree that them skipping so much is bizarre though.

ftfy

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I sort of get not including Draft and Untitled - superb as they are, they feel less like key moments in the Ae catalogue as some albums. Confield is probably left off because it has a reputation of scaring people off, but it's clearly important as it's the cutoff point between "musical" Ae and "bald German nerds" Ae. Quaristice is the point where they abandoned the traditional album format in favour of a collection of sketches (augmented by additional releases of longer versions), so deserves a place. I wouldn't have picked NTS out of the Exai/Elseq/NTS trilogy - Exai is probably the highest quality start-to-finish, with Elseq the best value overall. 

• Like 1

On 10/17/2020 at 2:52 PM, ascdi said:

I love bandcamp but I agree — pretty mediocre article and of course I have all the music already.

BUT I did want 2 bump this thread to point out: the COVER ART of several of the bandcamp releases here is pretty high-quality (1200 x 1200 — higher than I’ve been able to find elsewhere for myself anyway, and fairly crispy in most cases), so if you’re like me and always looking to beef up the embedded artwork 4 your files, click around on these release pages and snarf away

PUMPED to have rather crispy GANTZ GRAF album art for my files all of a sudden!

Thanks for the tip... i also like to keep my digi collection crisp and those bandcamp ones are just that.

I do find it interesting how LP5, EP7, Chiastic (among others) are physical media scans, while Tri Rep looks to be a digital source.

Edited by markedone

2 hours ago, markedone said:

Thanks for the tip... i also like to keep my digi collection crisp and those bandcamp ones are just that.

I do find it interesting how LP5, EP7, Chiastic (among others) are physical media scans, while Tri Rep looks to be a digital source.

Yeah, the Chiastic and Envane files are okay, but still not so great imo. Bummer because those are some of my favorite arts. Agreed on Tri Rep, I did a double-take when I saw what they had, not sure where it came from!