IGNORED

Considering getting an EP pressed to vinyl.

glomewav

I have a 6 track (around 10 mins per side) ep I was wanting to get pressed to vinyl and distribute to some local record shops and my bandcamp. I thought 10" was the way to go so I got a quote from pirate press. I knew it would be high but was not expecting $1,500 for 100ea with artwork. Should I go back and get a quote for 12" 45rpm instead? Or is this about the average cost for a short run? I wasn't expecting to actually make money doing this but at least the potential to break even would be nice. Am I looking at this the wrong way? I know I could just do cassettes because they're all the rage and much cheaper AND DIY but I don't even have a working cassette deck either. 

• Like 1

Years ago (ok, decades) when I was looking into this, having artwork done significantly added to the cost. This is why white labels exist and why so many labels just use generic sleeves.

• Like 1

seems about right. 10 inch records are always more expensive.  a few years back i did a couple vinyl releases of 200 each, 12 inch, and it was around the cost you were quoted if not a little less.

Not sure who you got the quote from but i had really excellent experience with Dietrich Schoenemann at Complete Mastering. he has a lot of connections. so, he did the mastering and cut the master and got us in line at a pressing plant for a good price. he sort of took the ball and ran w/it. saved us a lot of time and headache. 

http://completemastering.com

https://complete-usa.com/h/manufacture.htm

don't forget sleeves/jackets/artwork.  a good way to go if you don't go full color on the artwork is to find a local screenprinter. these were screenprinted and everyone was really happy w/the way it turned out. made for nice unique release/artwork since every one was a little different. 

0011274472_10.jpg

• Like 3

6 hours ago, ignatius said:

seems about right. 10 inch records are always more expensive.  a few years back i did a couple vinyl releases of 200 each, 12 inch, and it was around the cost you were quoted if not a little less.

Not sure who you got the quote from but i had really excellent experience with Dietrich Schoenemann at Complete Mastering. he has a lot of connections. so, he did the mastering and cut the master and got us in line at a pressing plant for a good price. he sort of took the ball and ran w/it. saved us a lot of time and headache. 

http://completemastering.com

https://complete-usa.com/h/manufacture.htm

don't forget sleeves/jackets/artwork.  a good way to go if you don't go full color on the artwork is to find a local screenprinter. these were screenprinted and everyone was really happy w/the way it turned out. made for nice unique release/artwork since every one was a little different. 

0011274472_10.jpg

Thanks for all the advice. I’ll shop around. Or I may just do cds. I like the idea of a local screen printer or even DIY on cardboard jackets with stickers

• Like 2

6 hours ago, glomewav said:

I have a 6 track (around 10 mins per side) ep I was wanting to get pressed to vinyl and distribute to some local record shops and my bandcamp. I thought 10" was the way to go so I got a quote from pirate press. I knew it would be high but was not expecting $1,500 for 100ea with artwork. Should I go back and get a quote for 12" 45rpm instead? Or is this about the average cost for a short run? I wasn't expecting to actually make money doing this but at least the potential to break even would be nice. Am I looking at this the wrong way? I know I could just do cassettes because they're all the rage and much cheaper AND DIY but I don't even have a working cassette deck either. 

I think 10” vinyl is the coolest format, but it is limited in running time. Folklore Tapes overcame that limit by doing 2x10” releases, which were perfect IMO.  But yeah, double the cost, gatefolds, etc.

7 minutes ago, glomewav said:

Thanks for all the advice. I’ll shop around. Or I may just do cds. I like the idea of a local screen printer or even DIY on cardboard jackets with stickers

dietrich at complete had the jackets leftover from another project and sold them to us for cheeeeap. so we scored some deals where we could. 

4 minutes ago, Rubin Farr said:

I think 10” vinyl is the fattest format, but it is limited in running time. 

My gf thinks so too :cisfor:

:catcry:

*kegels intensify*

• Farnsworth 1