IGNORED

Autechre - PLUS 20.11.20

Blir

2 hours ago, kausto said:

It also sounds ISS:SA-esque and Sublimit-esque kinda

There's always a strong feeling of "family resemblance" with Autechre's work, so totally getting comments around ISS:SA, Draft and Confield...  

ecol4 really makes me think of Tangle Ill, from 28 seconds onwards. Was searching like mad yesterday, thanks for the reminder. 

(edit) Going to have to listen to ISS:SA now. 

Edited by Shimon_Shimon
typo correction

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

48 minutes ago, gnarlybog said:

So far my standouts are the little piano-like part at the end of X4, esel 0 and marhide (which sounds like serenely floating through a sewer system)

yeah, what's up with that dumb piano?!

22 minutes ago, Shimon_Shimon said:

There's always strong feeling of "family resemblance" with Autechre's work, so totally getting comments around ISS:SA, Draft and Confield...  

ecol4 really makes me think of Tangle Ill, from 28 seconds onwards. Was searching like mad yesterday, thanks for the reminder. 

(edit) Going to have to listen to ISS:SA now. 

this made me digging old hard drives for old copy of Virsyn CUBE VSTi

Edited by kausto

3 hours ago, modey said:

7FM ic is a weird one isn't it. Not sure if I get it yet. Can't tell if there's a melody behind all the pew pew. 

Seems to have a lot of F7 wrapped up in it. I can only hear certain little bursts of those bending FM synth motifs sparsely peaking out behind all the laser kicks.

• Like 1

its been mentioned before, but 'DekDre Scap B' kinda invites speculations about them using deckard's dream, no?

also, since bladerunnervibes are paramount in r cazt ?

(just curious - thought it was exclusively maxmsp these days...)

Amazed by how X4 feels packed full of kaleidoscopic detail but also really airy and spacious 

Edited by FEF
Incoherent with emotion
  • Like 1

Ok time for a schizopost...

While Sean only mentioned 2 albums prepared during streams, you guys joking about a "purple" 3rd got me thinking about that solo LPs theory again. If the colors on Sign move from reddish to orange on a dark background, and the ones on Plus move from yellowish to green on a lighter background. What if there actually is indeed a third that goes from blueish to violet on a near white background with a title that is some abstraction on Rob. Making Plus the "together" part in the series. What's more, with the whole catalogue numbers both adding up to "14" maybe these releases are only the first of the two albums he mentioned and there is actually still a "15" in waiting too.

It may just be the power of suggestion, but I'm managing to find the album quite "green" sounding. With the exception of marhide, which comes off as a kind of rust/burnt umber/sepia sort of thing. I'm sure everyone cares ?

• Like 1

That's an interesting idea @Username. My feeling is that we won't get another album any time soon, but I could be wrong! 

I'm enjoying PLUS a lot more than SIGN - mainly because the weirder, less overtly straight-synth textures are more my kind of thing - but it's great they both exist. They're both good, but this both hits harder and seems to have more sonic intrigue. In fact, PLUS has got some really interesting white noise and hardware like sounds going on; I can see where people are finding links to EP7 (even if others aren't hearing it at all.) The more playful and strange proggy vibe, the noise, those "Left Blank" FM plinky sounds....EP7 was the first release I thought of.

• Like 2

this was mentioned in another forum (not sure if its been mentioned here) - DekDre Scap B could be a reference to Deckards Dream - https://black-corporation.com/product/deckards-dream-mk2/ 

that would explain a lot of the vangelis type sounds on signs as well.

so far im preferring Signs but i need to listen to this one a bit more

13 minutes ago, nikisoko said:

this was mentioned in another forum (not sure if its been mentioned here) - DekDre Scap B could be a reference to Deckards Dream - https://black-corporation.com/product/deckards-dream-mk2/ 

that would explain a lot of the vangelis type sounds on signs as well.

so far im preferring Signs but i need to listen to this one a bit more

deckard dream scape b.  pretty believable given how the track sounds, and sean played some stuff on the radio streams that indicate he's into that era of synth music (vangelis, tangering dream) 

Some more thoughts after listen number 2:

Getting a feel for the general flow of it now. It's like, cold and dry first half, warmer and more melodic second half. I've always liked music that has that kinda balance. I have yet to listen to both albums back to back but I like that as a whole, PLUS will add a lot of variety to the mix. I also think TM1 open bookends the album really well with M4Lema, just in the sense that both are long tracks that have a lot of progression.

I'm now thinking of PLUS as being kinda underwater too... but like, exploring the wreckage of an old sunken freighter or battleship.

Really phenomenal stuff, Ae truly are the greatest. It is quite unbelievable how much incredible and unique music they've given us over the years, and they just keep adding to the pile

• Like 7