IGNORED

Autechre - PLUS 20.11.20

Blir

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

31 minutes ago, subsequent said:

while i think the tracks are quality stuff i'd be lying if i said i can't somewhat relate to his sentiments about the album's identity and flow, or lack thereof. it does work in conjunction with sign but as standalone it has some serious momentum issues and i still mostly blame the "sign outtakes" for that (ii esc, else). they're also so close to their sign counterparts that they fall into some weird uncanny valley territory for me, where it kinda feels like listening to sign all of a sudden but it doesn't and contexts get all weirded up. blah.

i'm still damn happy we got this. marhide and tm1 sure contenders for all time favs.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Lianne said:

As much as I’ve said PLUS is totally great, I don’t really get ii.pre esc (or esle 0, though that ones a bit of a moodier listen at least.) lux 106 mod has maybe more to dig into than either I think, but in truth also feels a bit weak. Anyone really like these? They kind of just dampen the flow and aren’t interesting in a pretty way either. Even if they had been on NTS I’d find them low ‘meh’ points. 

I do like them a lot, with esle 0 being my more favorite one i think. I like the melody stuff

43 minutes ago, subsequent said:

lol kind of incredible how different people can be. I pretty much disagree with everything he says. I don't want to be an elitist dick but it's hard to not say that he just doesn't get it, or at the least, it's just not for him...  ecol4 is incredible and has way more progression than most stuff on NTS. the only track on nts that comes close to being as good is elyc9 7hres but even that is in a different zone than ecol4. The second half is really tense and there are a lot of good percussive things going on, as well as atmosphere... That relentless "bass" sound and the nice dry percussive elements that then grow into a sort of climax after 12:33 ish with the weird glassy sounds... So, just no... Calling it a slog or anything other than exceptional is imo wrong ? (imo imo imo)

Edited by coax
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, subsequent said:

He can be insightful at times but it really is just personal opinion, at the end of the day. The difficulty and obtuseness of autechre are what keeps me coming back. It's like a floating feather that you cant quite catch. 

I don't want to be cruel but hey its a visual medium — I hope his patreon supporters fund a new hair cut. When he does that hair flip in the back my blood pressure rises.

Edited by gnarlybog
  • Haha 2

This album is so fucking awesome, it’s hard to believe we were given 2 studio albums in back to back months. Especially after the NTS and live recording spoils. 

I love Sign and Plus in equal measure, for their own unique merits. I love how they are both unmistakeably Autechre, in the best way. I love that they gave these to us during these very hard times, in what has been the shittiest year in memory. 

i needed these. I needed something to look forward to, enjoy, and escape into. 

Also - DekDre Scap B. Come on now! Holy shit.

• Like 15

4 hours ago, subsequent said:

What a fucking gimp. Who the fuck even makes YouTube videos because they think people care for another trivial and unsubstantial opinion? If he could actually understand Autechre's music and on that basis gave a more substantial criticism, then I'd be interested to hear that, but he says the most ignorant & trivial things and obviously didn't even notice most of what's going on in the music because it's too subtle for him.

• Like 9
  • Burger 1

Why are you getting all riled up by some YouTube rando normie nobody and going U WOT MATE THAT'S OOT OF ORDER YA HOOR in our farthest corner of the universe where he can't even hear you let alone know that you even exist?

Edited by dcom
  • Like 5

he's a twat.  srsly. youtube random normie is accurate. put it on a year from now and maybe he'll get it then. spend a month w/each autechre album in chronological order. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Friendly Stranger said:

This album is so fucking awesome, it’s hard to believe we were given 2 studio albums in back to back months. Especially after the NTS and live recording spoils. 

I love Sign and Plus in equal measure, for their own unique merits. I love how they are both unmistakeably Autechre, in the best way. I love that they gave these to us during these very hard times, in what has been the shittiest year in memory. 

i needed these. I needed something to look forward to, enjoy, and escape into. 

Also - DekDre Scap B. Come on now! Holy shit.

@Friendly Stranger is that mark frechette in your avatar btw?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, eclipsis said:

recently when i listen to X4 i think of four of seven for some reason... idk if that's that lowpassed synth at the beginning or what

That was actually my feeling on first listen, I think it's not just the sound but also the mood of it, and I think it has similar melodies, particularly if you compare the endings of both. I also like how in both cases there's this idea of all this super hi tech, futuristic sounding stuff before it and then at the end of the album there's a shift to something kind of retro. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dcom said:

Why are you getting all riled up by some YouTube rando normie nobody and going U WOT MATE THAT'S OOT OF ORDER YA HOOR in our farthest corner of the universe where he can't even hear you let alone know that you even exist?

Yeahh...can't be arsed to even play this ignoranus vid, if this was supposed to trigger some watmmers then it's probably winrar...

Edited by Adamovich
  • Like 1