IGNORED

Autechre - PLUS 20.11.20

Blir

23 minutes ago, Adamovich said:

Yeahh...can't be arsed to even play this ignoranus vid, if this was supposed to trigger some watmmers then it's probably winrar...

I agree. Won't even validate it with a click and add to his play count

• Like 1

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah that was something else for sure. As much as I enjoy SIGN...This was a different type of fuckery. Very nice ? lol.

The two together are easily my fav release since exai. 

• Like 2

That reviewer sort of points up what I found to be the problem here, and it's an understandable one. When you drop a 4 hour album followed by an 8 hour one that are both full of what a lot of people (including me) cite as some of their most experimental and often best work in a long time, going back to a more traditional album length format is inevitably going to be - at least initially - underwhelming. We don't don't have the quantity. And on top of that, they've moved back to a more "melodic" form - as complex as it frequently is - than previous work that requires more structure and less algorithm. That isn't what many of us want from an Autechre release right?

But... these albums need to be given time, I think. It's odd that they've released them separately rather than as a double album like Exai, which might have ultimately garnered a better reception. But even Exai was hard to absorb on initial release because it was so fucking long and dense, and why try to recreate that anyway?

I didn't like PLUS when I first heard it. I was under the impression that it was just a shorter, more minimal take on elseq and NTS. But of course it's not, as tracks like X4, marhide, TM1 open or lux 106 mod attest. I'm fucking hooked on this album now, because the complex melodic element is just fucking awesome... like Oversteps and Move of Ten. I hope soon to be equally hooked on SIGN.

Did they maybe release these in the wrong order?

• Like 4

Anybody else think it's little strange there hasn't been any proper interviews as such?

Yeah, there was the article in the NY Times, but it wasn't exactly an in depth interview.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Jamesqdot said:

That reviewer sort of points up what I found to be the problem here, and it's an understandable one. When you drop a 4 hour album followed by an 8 hour one that are both full of what a lot of people (including me) cite as some of their most experimental and often best work in a long time, going back to a more traditional album length format is inevitably going to be - at least initially - underwhelming. We don't don't have the quantity. And on top of that, they've moved back to a more "melodic" form - as complex as it frequently is - than previous work that requires more structure and less algorithm. That isn't what many of us want from an Autechre release right?

idk, long time ago i've learned not to want anything specific from an AE release because the bros do as they please (as it should be) and my only job is to decide whether i personally like it or not

AE ≠ AC/DC

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Untitled said:

Anybody else think it's little strange there hasn't been any proper interviews as such?

Yeah, there was the article in the NY Times, but it wasn't exactly an in depth interview.

I don't necessarily think it's strange, but I am going to Google News a couple of times a day looking for them ?  I wish that full two-hour conversation for NYT would be released, of course. I tweeted kudos to the interviewer & enquired about it, but that unsurprisingly didn't garner a reply.

Edited by Mic Finger
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Mic Finger said:

I don't necessarily think it's strange, but I am going to Google News a couple of times a day looking for them ?  I wish that full two-hour conversation for NYT would be released, of course. I tweeted kudos to the interviewer & enquired about it, but that unsurprisingly didn't garner a reply.

Maybe it'll come out later, or after something we don't know about.....

^i think that sorta thing is pretty standard for more mainstream interviewing of artists of most any type. trim it all down to whatever approach the writer thinks makes sense and the editor needs that week.

maybe there's some more interviews waiting to drop around the physical releases of PLUS.

otherwise, the only reasonable solution is AAA pt. 2 :doge:

Edited by auxien
  • Like 11

4 hours ago, eclipsis said:

idk, long time ago i've learned not to want anything specific from an AE release because the bros do as they please (as it should be) and my only job is to decide whether i personally like it or not

AE ≠ AC/DC

This occurred to me last night when I was out walking and listening to PLUS (what's in the OP, the new quote system sucks) 

I was thinking that now that we are conditioned into those elseq + NTS track lengths, SIGN and PLUS almost feel like eps, with Quaristice style blink and you'll miss it track brevity. Even though that's not the case and they are normal length album and track lengths.

Weird time dilation shit.

• Like 2

Right, I fucking love it as well, goes well with sign. More banging and less arty, nice to have bit of both.

Need to listen to them where even tracks belong to the sign set and odd tracks are in plus (index starting from 0 like a normal person).

Last track is in the "goae traensce" genre, that kick drum made me chuckle. I was saying that I would love to see the facial expression of anyone who made it while they were at it, or maybe not.

Started listening to move of ten for some reason with those two new additions from Electronic Arts.

• Like 1