IGNORED

Autechre - PLUS 20.11.20

Blir

21 hours ago, markedone said:

x4 is the only track im not in love with on PLUS.  it really dwells on those farty sounds..

Cue the hate but .... to me x4 is 'modern-era' (i.e. post drukQs) Aphex but interesting !

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 11/4/2020 at 10:46 PM, Hugh Mughnus said:

I’m not seeing a lot of love for 7FM? For me that’s one of the weirder, stereotypically autechre-y tracks from the two albums. One of my favs

i really like it. has some problems tho: beat somewhat clunky (which might actually be the point) and not really gelling well with the swooshing textures, especially compared with all tomorrow's linoleum, which takes a pretty similar line. (... and which is 19 fucking years old, can you believe it?) however there's alot interesting stuffs happening in this track, harmonically.

• Like 2

Cue the hate but .... to me x4 is 'modern-era' (i.e. post drukQs) Aphex but interesting !
I thought this as well when I first heard it, that its the most Aphex thing they have ever done while still being completely them sounding. Its lush with dynamic percussion fills and emotive melody behind acidic bass.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

X4 is one of those tracks that will stand out among the “great giants” in the AE-verse.  This coming from someone that has listened to them since day one and picking up their “first” CD on a whim while cruising in the 90’s. Dropped it into the ol Pioneer CD I had installed in place of cassette. It takes you back to that moment to see the epic-ness they have become. It’s like a blast similar to learning Kung Fu in the Matrix!  One of their best ever. But I can go on and on about both of these works. Some of their most stunning production ever. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Lexicon said:

X4 is one of those tracks that will stand out among the “great giants” in the AE-verse. 

I’m with ya there bud! I’m absolutely blown away by that track. Fucks my feels 

• Like 1

Just now, Lexicon said:

X4 is one of those tracks that will stand out among the “great giants” in the AE-verse.  This coming from someone that has listened to them since day one and picking up their “first” CD on a whim while cruising in the 90’s. Dropped it into the ol Pioneer CD I had installed in place of cassette. It takes you back to that moment to see the epic-ness they have become. It’s like a blast similar to learning Kung Fu in the Matrix!  One of their best ever. But I can go on and on about both of these works. Some of their most stunning production ever. 

Also, I have auditioned my collection through various audio gear and have to say Marantz receivers truly do AE justice and if you are lucky enough to crank it up to “I feel it” or “11” in other parlance.....ducking wow!!

1 minute ago, Hugh Mughnus said:

I’m with ya there bud! I’m absolutely blown away by that track. Fucks my feels 

I just had to snap together a plus sign playlist with X4 - F7- 2 spins of R catz. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lexicon said:

Also, I have auditioned my collection through various audio gear and have to say Marantz receivers truly do AE justice and if you are lucky enough to crank it up to “I feel it” or “11” in other parlance.....ducking wow!!

Yep, I can testify to that too. Marantz is great for the 'chre.

honestly dont know why people praise x4 so much. to me tm1 open was easily the most banging track on the album. looks like its the opposite of most peoples opinions lol. can anyone tell me why they love x4 so much?

Edited by natios
  • Like 3

i get more of an elseq vibe from plus, and, if anything, an oversteps vibe from sign, though it is really different, and darker.

plus is drugs for sign? provides an elseq-like shuffling experience, when mixed. splits up the solid emotion with miscellania. if sign is an initialization then perhaps sign is the base album and plus is an addition to it?

dekdre scrap will make your neighbors trip balls

ecol4 is nice autechre dub. g 1 e 1 evolved.

lux106 - lush af? 1 = a, 6 = f

x4 - lovecraftian transforming machine elves funk with sublime ending

esle 0 - epic alien sci-fi funeral scene

nice laid-back, weird-shit album. the 2 combined strike me as a strangely powerful masterpiece.

Edited by very honest
  • Like 4

On 11/7/2020 at 9:15 AM, natios said:

can anyone tell me why they love x4 so much?

I love the percussion, harmonies and atmosphere throughout the track, but the big highlights that push it into top-tier for me are: the ear candy glitchfest that starts around 3:15, and when the chords come in at 7:42 and play that beautiful melancholy progression that leads into the outro. Like most of S+P it really shines on headphones

• Like 2

On 11/7/2020 at 10:15 PM, natios said:

honestly dont know why people praise x4 so much. to me tm1 open was easily the most banging track on the album. looks like its the opposite of most peoples opinions lol. can anyone tell me why they love x4 so much?

I don't love it, just enjoy: it constantly transforms in a pretty busy rhythm, making way for cool details here and there. The bouncy-reflecting quasi-percussional part starting from 04:52 makes it high level composition, otherwise the elements are a bit standard.

TM1 open sounds unremarkable to me, it mostly follows the same "acid trancey" type of idle, but i like the ending where only the pretty stuff remains, it's a nice closure.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Amen Lare said:

I don't love it, just enjoy: it constantly transforms in a pretty busy rhythm, making way for cool details here and there. The bouncy-reflecting quasi-percussional part starting from 04:52 makes it high level composition, otherwise the elements are a bit standard.

There’s your problem! You’re listening to elements not the music ?

• Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 2

DekDre Scap B - a heady, dubby soup. Recalling Perlence or Surriperre, we are sloshed about between retriggered kicks and reverberant bass fleps.

7FM ic - even more off balance now, a clumsy beat is accompanied by whooshing metallic textures. As the track settles, a detuned lead synth like from F7 begins to knit everything together. 

Marhide - the first track that really settled me. Sounds like zoviet france trying electro. 808s + tape hiss/extractor fans. Cannot go wrong. Maybe no synths at all on this track?

ecol4 - trippy alien prog gamelan. Sounds like the glassy, tuned percussion from  glos ceramic has been refined into something smoother . Reminded me a little of Parhelic Triangle or Reniform Puls.

lux 106 mod - very SIGN with that rich phased synth patch, (could be a moded106? I guess) but also very Oversteps with all that wandering chromatic stuff. Nice interlude.

X4 - Straight off, a fast beat, busy mexican jumping bean gonk sound. Ominous distant lasers/strings. Paced like something off the front of Untilted but develops in a way like something like irlite (get0) with all these slow moving backround sections. Then the fade to sterile pads is the cherry on top. Chef kiss.

ii.pre esc - its esc desc.. off SIGN..., but different!. And with some resonant zaps bubbling about

esle 0 - its gr4.. off SIGN..., but different!. And with some more gloomy harmonic choices. Two great tracks, but their impact is lessened here, in a different context.

TM1 open - one of their techno-adjacent tracks like 90101 5I-I. Hi-bpm almost juke hihats skitter around a mutant acid line. Then they reveal everything is happening in this cavernous space. Very different, not immediately lovable but intriguing. Sounds related to si 00.

After the more immediately gratifing SIGN im glad that PLUS has moments which leave me scratching my head. I like being outfoxed by ae. And then there is also so obviously top tier stuff like X4 and ecol4, so I'm happy. The only downside being the alternate tracks which dont offer anything better, which worked on MoT but not so much here on a separate album.

Edited by Key
  • Like 8
  • Farnsworth 1

This one is tricky for me and I haven’t been able to sit with it yet as much as I’d like.  But except for the three long tracks (all of which I’m enjoying quite a bit) nothing else feels quite... there yet. It’s not cohering.

It’s working as a companion to SIGN, maybe even a bit of a foil, but SIGN feels whole and this feels unbalanced, which isn’t a bad thing, just a thing. 

Something prickly about the track order here that I can’t quite put my finger on.  I’d love it completely if it were an EP with just ecol4, X4, and TM1 open with maybe marhide as a breather somewhere.

I’ll probably change my mind in a week once I can break out of the prison of my own expectations or whatever.  

Edited by baph
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, kieselguhr kid said:

found a long article about/review of AE's 2010-2020 output from a greek website which looks quite interesting

- if there's anyone on board who can read the language, a brief sum up would be much appreciated!

Google is a passable translator.

Edited by dcom
  • Like 1

deckards dreamscape B.. such a cool fuckin track.  turning into one of my favorites from both albums.

both this and marhide have the very apparent tape hiss at the end.. i also love the sound at the end of dek that sounds very much like a microphone drop.  busting out the hardware / samplers on these tracks probably?

Edited by markedone
  • Like 2

On 11/4/2020 at 9:46 PM, Hugh Mughnus said:

I’m not seeing a lot of love for 7FM? For me that’s one of the weirder, stereotypically autechre-y tracks from the two albums. One of my favs

I was thinking the same. Love that track.

15 minutes ago, nickinko said:

I was thinking the same. Love that track.

According to lastfm playcounts, F7 is the most played autechre track recently (Not sure who actually uses last fm, i dont but check it´s stats and comments for fun sometimes)

I also love F7.  Weird in just the right way

Edited by markedone