IGNORED

Danny Elfman - Happy (Single)

Rubin Farr

First new single from the man in 36 years, has a kind of Jack Skellington vibe to it, then he goes aggro for a few minutes.  Who knew he had a sleeve?

https://music.apple.com/us/album/happy-single/1534699095

https://www.spin.com/2020/10/danny-elfman-releases-happy-new-song/

3D0B6523-D59F-4E94-AC07-37C59A3912F3.jpeg

BD2B8DE8-C703-4052-9720-AAEAC6DDE04F.jpeg

he's more yoked than i would have expected for an old dude who spends all day makin music for tim burton

but yah listening to his 90s OST work in middle school was largely responsible for my transition to listening to actual music from previously having listened exclusively to halloween sound fx tapes from dollarama. and listening to oingo boingo in high school was my transition from listening to just soundtracks to listening to music with beats in it

much like oingo boingo this new track is an interesting combination of "rich boomer who's a little too self-consciously quirky" and "talented composer writing a rock song while taking inspiration strictly from circus music"

Edited by Cryptowen

• 2 months later...

tbh i had kinda written danny elfman off 15+ years ago as seemingly being content to just write variations on the same half dozen OST styles for the rest of his career. it's nice to see that he seems to be making an active attempt to express his feelings & try shit out with this new project

3 minutes ago, Braintree said:

I just hear Jack Skellington when he sings.

I do find it interesting how even though these are (more or less) rock songs, they remind me much more of NMBC than they do Oingo Boingo (and I listened to a lotta Oingo Boingo back in the day)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hadn't noticed that these are on Epitaph. Interesting label choice.

I like that they're willing to put that statement at the end. Not a lot of big names are willing to say "sex work is work."

• 1 month later...
  • Rubin Farr changed the title to Danny Elfman - Happy (Single)