Jump to content

Boards of Canada - A Few Old Tunes (HQ)


dcom
 Share

Recommended Posts

digitally denoised, a lot of the ambience scraped away.. i'll stick with the 192, it's more faithful.  why do people feel the need to mess with tape rips?  it's like all those ropey copies of melodies from mars :trollface:

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, xy_politics said:

digitally denoised, a lot of the ambience scraped away.. i'll stick with the 192, it's more faithful.  why do people feel the need to mess with tape rips?

How did you determine that it's a digital restoration? I used the word ostensibly purposefully, I have reservations by default as well.

NVM, it's been confirmed to be a repackaged and re-encoded restoration job.

Edited by dcom
Link to comment
Share on other sites

oh, just the sound of it - like the music is half-submerged in black, inky goo.  i've spent a good amount of time working on restoration and denoising, and it's very, very difficult to get right, particularly for the more delicate electronic music, it just gets destroyed.  why i don't listen to kraftwerk's remasters - and they spent years trying to get it right, with no doubt the very best equipment.  autechre warp tapes 89-93 was an impressive job though

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, dr lopez said:

i have an original pressing of TEE and computer world and the remasters sound just as good. very good.

Imo the kraftwerk remasters are the epitome of how to do it properly. everything about them is excellent. 
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Alcofribas said:

Imo the kraftwerk remasters are the epitome of how to do it properly. everything about them is excellent.

Turns out I haven't heard the 2009 versions - I still had the 2004 promo set, which is dire, didn't know they'd done it twice..   A quick sampling and the 2009s seem to be really good, more like louder, punchier versions of the originals without all the life drained from them.  Looks like I have some downloading to do!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, xy_politics said:

Turns out I haven't heard the 2009 versions - I still had the 2004 promo set, which is dire, didn't know they'd done it twice..   A quick sampling and the 2009s seem to be really good, more like louder, punchier versions of the originals without all the life drained from them.  Looks like I have some downloading to do!

yeah the 2009 ones are legit

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/30/2020 at 9:55 PM, xy_politics said:

digitally denoised, a lot of the ambience scraped away.. i'll stick with the 192, it's more faithful.  why do people feel the need to mess with tape rips?  it's like all those ropey copies of melodies from mars :trollface:

just had a listen and this new rip does indeed sound awful. the tracks just sound like really bad mp3s, if your prefer lossy frequencies to tape hiss than you're listening to the wrong bootleg.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/30/2020 at 5:33 PM, dr lopez said:

i have an original pressing of TEE and computer world and the remasters sound just as good. very good.

those remasters sound good, but as you admit they were already starting with very high quality source material. i have TEE original pressing as well and it sounds excellent.  so the objectives are quite different with that kind of remaster as opposed to "cleaning up" something lo-fi.

im not intimitely familiar with this boc album so i cant comment if they lost any detail with this remaster.  it does sound quite clean though on first listen, sort of what i imagine it would sound like if they put out an official release (infamous boc-set). but i probably wont bother to download this, as the lofi qualities of the original tape never bothered me, it fits the music yknow..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

Sounds great. I daydream about them flooding bandcam. Remember when they said they thought someone was going to come out with an album with notthing but a little tunes album. I imagine an 80 minute cd by them. But yes, i insist THEM doing a bandcamp. I know they have one with, warp? I'm wondering if they're gonna do a summer/pop type album dedicated to what i hear could be the end of covid by 2022. Or earlier than that. :(

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/5/2020 at 10:48 AM, Dragon said:

just had a listen and this new rip does indeed sound awful. the tracks just sound like really bad mp3s, if your prefer lossy frequencies to tape hiss than you're listening to the wrong bootleg.

You have the tape with it's wonderful heavenly hiss?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...