IGNORED

Ableton Live 11

hijexx

https://cdm.link/2020/11/ableton-live-11-is-coming-feature-by-feature-heres-whats-new-in-detail/

So, Live 11…

It gives you stuff you asked for.

Comping. (Finally!)

Clips are far more powerful – easier to view, easier to edit multiple loops at once, and add features like probability and randomization.

Follow actions now make sense. (I was going to say “more sense,” but I won’t mince words here.) Also, they work in Scenes – at last.

CPU metering is actually useful and works per-track.

Linking tracks makes it easier to edit more than one track at the same time.

Racks finally let you save Macro states, and use 16 macros and not only 8.

It’s more creative and more nerdy.

Tempo can follow audio signal, for freer playing.

There are loads of creative new devices, including wild granular and spectral and pitch shift devices.

It supports MIDI Polyphonic Expression – MPE – which means it’s both possible to edit expression per note with the mouse, and to control instruments (and effects) with expressive devices like the Sensel Morph or Linnstrument.

There’s a ton of love for existing devices, for still more sonic possibilities.

Waiting for Ned Rush to get ahold of this and make a Windowlicker tutorial using the new spectral time effect

• Like 2

Its so funny. Last night I spent like a good 15 mins starting to program the midi scales for each key into the piano roll (basically you shunt all the notes to the left of the grid, push the start point after, then fold and bam everything is in that scale). Being able to fold to scales plus comping is enough to justify this for me. Spectral device *drools*

• Like 1

My only disappointment is that it's not currently installed on my computing device

Edited by Silent Member
  • Like 2

looks tasty

as someone who's never used ableton (still a die-hard reason 6 wanker lol) would you lovely folks suggest i give this a whirl while they're running the 20% deal?

or would i simply benefit more from upgrading to reason 11, what with knowing the interface pretty well and so on...

Former Reason user, now Ableton Certified Trainer, so even if I'm obviously biased toward Live, I'd strongly suggest you give it a try. Demo is fully functional for 30 days.
I reckon using Reason 11 as a VST inside Live could be a perfect combo if you're a Malstrom / Scream 4 addict ;) I have no clue how generous R11 upgrade path might be (or not) though.

edit: Valleyfold beats me to it :)

Edited by Nil
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Valleyfold said:

Try the Ableton demo. And then upgrade Reason so you can use it as a plugin in Live ?

6 minutes ago, Nil said:

Former Reason user, now Ableton Certified Trainer, so even if I'm obviously biased toward Live, I'd strongly suggest you give it a try. Demo is fully functional for 30 days.
I reckon using Reason 11 as a VST inside Live could be a perfect combo if you're a Malstrom / Scream 4 addict ? I have no clue how generous R11 upgrade path might be (or not) though.

edit: Valleyfold beats me to it ?

will try demo on the weekend, cheers lads 

1 hour ago, Kennylogg Bubblebath said:

looks tasty

as someone who's never used ableton (still a die-hard reason 6 wanker lol) would you lovely folks suggest i give this a whirl while they're running the 20% deal?

or would i simply benefit more from upgrading to reason 11, what with knowing the interface pretty well and so on...

I used reason from 2007-2014. Once I actually learned ableton, I got 9 suite and a push, and I haven’t made another song in reason since.

ill always love those synths though, and which I could use them in ableton without paying again.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, sheatheman said:

I used reason from 2007-2014. Once I actually learned ableton, I got 9 suite and a push, and I haven’t made another song in reason since.

ill always love those synths though, and which I could use them in ableton without paying again.

how well do ableton's pre-installed instruments fare against what reason has to offer?

perhaps my biggest attraction to reason is the synths. i love the patch selection and having the ability to fully control the sounds.

Interested in switching to Bitwig but was going to wait until Ableton 11 to see if it makes sense to switch. Idk, a little underwhelmed with the features and not sure if it warrants a new version. Would have expected to see this stuff in a mid version update like what they did with Live 9. It's definitely a step forward but just not far enough for a charged version update imo

The Grid alone in Bitwig makes me want to switch. Any thoughts from bitwig/ableton owners?

1 hour ago, Kennylogg Bubblebath said:

how well do ableton's pre-installed instruments fare against what reason has to offer?

perhaps my biggest attraction to reason is the synths. i love the patch selection and having the ability to fully control the sounds.

Reason definitely has better presets on its stock synths. Thor really has some legendary stuff. I remember this one patch called like ambient piano pgm or something that would crash my 2005 MacBook if I played more than a few notes.

that said, the ableton stock instruments are just as capable, and probably faster to get results with. The visual feedback in reason probably helps it feel like you have a real instrument under your fingers, but I’ve been patching soft synths for so long now that I prefer the streamlined minimalism of ableton.

my most-used instruments are Analog, Operator, and Simpler.

Edited by sheatheman

i went for the preorder update deal. if you have 10 suite you can preorder at a discount and save some bucks. i'm havily invested in live workflow and max for live devies. excited for hte new hotness. 

i was given bitwig 8 track as part of an offer with a eurorack module but haven't really jumped into it. i should at some point but the right moment hasn't presented itself.