IGNORED

Ableton Live 11

hijexx

On 7/18/2021 at 10:02 AM, thawkins said:

Piracy is even kind of good for them because people can try out the software and sometimes end up paying for the full version, why would they break that flow.

Just biked in to say that I think this is an underrated truth of the music making industry. Over the years I've (NEVER IN CASE THE INTERNET IS LISTENING) torrented/Limewired a LOT of stuff (including Ableton) ... but in the end I've ended up purchasing pretty much everything that I ended up routinely using. Recently had to replace my failing laptop and realized... I am now like 99% legit. Everything I'm installing on the new rig I own outright, with a small % of things I'll pick up on Black Friday sales to round things out. 

I think I'm probably not alone here - pirating is kind of like taking software on an "unlimited demo" run and I imagine that a decent percentage of people end up actually shelling out for their software... or, at least, a % that is high enough that the company makes more $ than if they engage in hugely draconian anti-piracy methodologies.  

• Like 1

On 11/8/2021 at 3:32 PM, user said:

Been meaning to respond to this for ages. I noticed the same thing but I still have both devices in my library.  And to add to the confusion my yellow ones seem to be the live 11 ones the one in the screenshot has the mpe label for example. There's probably an easier way to do this but I just add my preferred version of live's devices to my favourites label thing in the browser, should have some sort of spring cleaning next year. 

Screen Shot 2021-11-06 at 20.29.13.png

I do this too. I have all the good ones marked, and I have also discovered I think from someone here that some of my favorite max devices moved to audio effects.

i love ableton man. Love that stuff about them telling the investors to fuck themselves.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just a quick question to anyone who is using Live 10/11 on a recent Macbook Pro (max 5 years old): is it even possible to run Live without having the CPU/GPU fan start up pretty much immediately?

It's been annoying me for a while. I keep my laptop in clamshell mode mostly, and regular browsing and whatever never requires the fan to start up, but Live seems to start using the fan no matter how complex the project is. ?

5 minutes ago, thawkins said:

Just a quick question to anyone who is using Live 10/11 on a recent Macbook Pro (max 5 years old): is it even possible to run Live without having the CPU/GPU fan start up pretty much immediately?

It's been annoying me for a while. I keep my laptop in clamshell mode mostly, and regular browsing and whatever never requires the fan to start up, but Live seems to start using the fan no matter how complex the project is. ?

regardless of what i was using on my 2018 6 core macbook pro the fans would come on and it'd get hot. i managed it with the "macs fan control" app which allows customizing the fan settings. i would set them to come on sooner at lower RPM just to get a jump on cooling things off in hopes they wouldn't go into full RPM over drive when things start getting CPU intensive. 

i know someone who's a graphic designer and always used the macbook pro in a dock w/external monitor and external GPU thingy and after some year of heavy use he essentially melted the thing. they're fine for most things but if you're routinely crushing it you'll shorten its life imo. 

i sold the 2018 mbp last year and got a shiny new apple silicon macbook pro and have rarely had the fans even turn on to be audible. 

so, it' snot just live that kicks off the fans on intel macbook pros.. it's everything. maybe some things are worse than others but i found that everything kicked off the fans sooner or later

• Like 1

Which MBP did you go for ? I plan to get a 14" M1 Max (the less expensive 14") and hope it'll be able to run sessions with L11, soon M4L and 5 to 10 instances of softsynths like Bazille, Hive, soon (hopefully) Zebra 3 at 96k... with processing. Mostly monophonic instances, otherwise with low polyphony and alway large buffer. Basically I cross-finger it'll be able to run the sessions my i9 9900k desktop can.

3 minutes ago, Nil said:

Which MBP did you go for ? I plan to get a 14" M1 Max (the less expensive 14") and hope it'll be able to run sessions with L11, soon M4L and 5 to 10 instances of softsynths like Bazille, Hive, soon (hopefully) Zebra 3 at 96k... with processing. Mostly monophonic instances, otherwise with low polyphony and alway large buffer. Basically I cross-finger it'll be able to run the sessions my i9 9900k desktop can.

M1 Max 16 inch. have hardly pushed it.  i'm not working in 96k. there's still a bunch of stuff that isn't apple silicon native yet.. but more things get added to the list every day. 

here's a comprehensive list of what is native apple silicon already. it gets updated all the time. 

https://asaudio.tech

i've done projects w/a mix of things running native and in rosetta2 and not had any issues. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, thawkins said:

Might be worthwhile to look into giving your mbp a good cleaning on the inside and possibly also refreshing the thermalpaste on the cpu.

I did this last year for my 2011 (lol) mbp that was running its fans at what seemed pretty much full capacity all the time and it's gone back to only fanning up occasionally, still going strong (fingers crossed). I cleaned it out previously a couple of times but I think redoing the thermal paste is what did it.

Might seem slightly daunting at first but if you go step by step and take your time it's very easy to do. I spent some time reading thermal paste discussions and settled on the gc-extreme paste by gelid. I'm sure other pastes are fine as well (as long as they're not electrically conductive). Besides the paste you'd need some form of canned air to blow out dust (keep a vacuumcleaner next to you to blow the dust into), brush is handy too, some cotton swabs, paper towels and isopropyl alcohol for cleaning off the old thermal paste and some gloves (keep your hands clean and prevents getting fingerprints on the heatsink after you've cleaned it). You'll also need some torx screwdrivers, the sizes you need for your particular model can be found in the various ifixit guides.   

Oh, and I'm able to run Live 11 on my 2014 (I think) MBP without constant fans. Do think having it in clamshell mode reduces its ability to dissipate heat somewhat as the wrist resting areas besides the trackpad usually get fairly hot. Also possibly somewhat reduced airflow into the fans but not sure about that.

Edited by user
  • Like 1

Thanks for the tips. I think I should look into cleaning it up and also not running it in clamshell, at least when making music.

Why I find this annoying is that I don't really run a lot of synths in Live, most of my gear sits in a rack. But yeah maybe 12 tracks of I/O is enough.

Edit: and the reason I think Live is doing this "somehow", is that if I have Reaper running, there is no fans whatsoever. Live with 1 audio track and no effects anywhere - fans go to takeoff mode.

Edited by thawkins

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Ableton Note iOS app now exists. i'm assuming the next wave of Ableton things is happening starting with this

Edited by auxien
added the full walkthrough video

Is there a piano roll/grid on that thing for making patterns or does everything need to be played in real time?

3 hours ago, acid1 said:

Is there a piano roll/grid on that thing for making patterns or does everything need to be played in real time?

you can do a decent amount of step editing after playing the notes in to a clip...but currently, as far as i can tell, you have to play things in manually first. 

2 hours ago, logakght said:
3 hours ago, YEK said:

Only apple?

Yeah, aren't you rich?

you can get into some entry level iPhones and iPads for 300-400 bucks. which definitely ain't cheap, but it's not world-ending pricing either (plus, there's used options of course). the app itself is 5.99. much cheaper than Live. (edit: i'm honestly surprised the app isn't $20 - $50 given how full-formed it already is on day one, and Ableton's premium pricing for Live)

Edited by auxien
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, auxien said:

you can do a decent amount of step editing after playing the notes in to a clip...but currently, as far as i can tell, you have to play things in manually first. 

you can get into some entry level iPhones and iPads for 300-400 bucks. which definitely ain't cheap, but it's not world-ending pricing either (plus, there's used options of course). the app itself is 5.99. much cheaper than Live. (edit: i'm honestly surprised the app isn't $20 - $50 given how full-formed it already is on day one, and Ableton's premium pricing for Live)

How the app can communicate with Live is really neat

Maybe I'll get it on my sister's family's ipad. Let the nephew play with it.

• Like 2