IGNORED

Ableton Live 11

hijexx

Totally missed this on its initial release but ableton put up a package called Building Max Devices containing lessons to help teach people how to build max for live devices, also comes with 90 example devices. I'm just about to install the pack but already quite excited about this as, even though a lot of info is already out there I felt there was quite a gap between very basic info and delving deep into the max forums, the various books that are available and a number of in some cases slightly obscure websites that are spread all over and this pack seems to offer a sort of middle-ground that's nicely contained.

This playlist has overview videos for all the lessons: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoh4MB-kbBmI1pXYI4M1jX2_5xpMNS-g-

The pack: https://www.ableton.com/en/packs/building-max-devices/

• Like 2

I need to learn Ableton Live much more. 

I just order a book called The Music Producer's Creative Guide to Ableton Live 11 by Anna Lakatos. 

I hope I can learn basics and deep stuff from it. It is a pretty advanced DAW

• 4 months later...

I hadn’t used Ableton Live since v4 (I didn’t get along with it then, the workflow an UI just didn’t click with me). 

I recently played with Bitwig Studio, really liked it, and decided to try Ableton Live 11. 

I haven’t felt this inspired to make music in years. Now I’m jonesing to get hold of Live 11 Suite, I just gotta sell a kidney first

• Like 4

5 hours ago, mcbpete said:

is that actually modifying the clips in the Arrangement view? weird if so, not sure i've ever seen any M4L device that can do that.

the same basic effect can be achieved in Session view with follow actions. instant VHS Head is quite right.

1 hour ago, oscillik said:

I hadn’t used Ableton Live since v4 (I didn’t get along with it then, the workflow an UI just didn’t click with me). 

I recently played with Bitwig Studio, really liked it, and decided to try Ableton Live 11. 

I haven’t felt this inspired to make music in years. Now I’m jonesing to get hold of Live 11 Suite, I just gotta sell a kidney first

you might want to stick to Bitwig since that's where you started, it tackles a lot of Ableton issues, namely latency, while bringing a lot of new features and maintaining practically the same workflow. if it wasn't for Max4Live, I would've switched to Bitwig, but sadly I'm hooked.

1 hour ago, tbf said:

you might want to stick to Bitwig since that's where you started, it tackles a lot of Ableton issues, namely latency, while bringing a lot of new features and maintaining practically the same workflow. if it wasn't for Max4Live, I would've switched to Bitwig, but sadly I'm hooked.

I know of the similarities of the two (and of where they diverge as well), and Max for Live is a massive draw for me too. My main problem with Bitwig Studio is that you only get 12 months of updates from when you purchase, and have to buy a 12 month upgrade plan to get point releases (which they erroneously refer to as "major" updates). There's no concrete information on their site about how much these upgrade plans cost directly from them, which in my opinion is concerning — they should be up front about how much it's going to cost me as a user to get point releases.

In BItwig Studio's defence, I really like the CLAP instrument format and its capabilities, but there isn't a huge momentum with it yet. On the other hand, Bitwig Studio doesn't support AU plugins, and I believe that VST3 can still be quite buggy. So it's 6 of one and half a dozen of the other…

Edited by oscillik

2 hours ago, auxien said:

is that actually modifying the clips in the Arrangement view? weird if so, not sure i've ever seen any M4L device that can do that.

the same basic effect can be achieved in Session view with follow actions. instant VHS Head is quite right.

if you dig into the live object model (https://docs.cycling74.com/max8/vignettes/live_object_model), the CLIP object has a property called `position` which can be used to get or set the position of a clip in the arrangement view. So to DIY this you can just leverage the LOM to get all the clips for a track and shuffle around their position in the arrangement.

In my mind you could probably get an equivalent effect from just using a sampler and randomizing which samples are played at which position but it might look more impressive to do it in the arrangement.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, auxien said:

but you have to load the session view to get it to work. you can't be editing and arrangement and select a chunk of it w/loop markers and do the same thing. this is a bummer imo and it'd be more useful if it allowed this. it'd be a lazy way to randomly come up with happy accidents or mess w/transitions etc.. the longer walk through video goes through the details better. 

also, novel music came out w/a little live sampler recently and added "Scratching" sort of. 

longer tutorial of basic features. they make interesting sequencers and stuff. the Seeds package seems dope.. things more interesting than this little dohickey but it seems cool too. they have a free device or two at their website. 

https://www.novelmusic.org

39 minutes ago, exitonly said:

if you dig into the live object model (https://docs.cycling74.com/max8/vignettes/live_object_model), the CLIP object has a property called `position` which can be used to get or set the position of a clip in the arrangement view. So to DIY this you can just leverage the LOM to get all the clips for a track and shuffle around their position in the arrangement.

In my mind you could probably get an equivalent effect from just using a sampler and randomizing which samples are played at which position but it might look more impressive to do it in the arrangement.

the live object model is bonkers. there's a couple youtube vids of people messing with it and doing arbitrary things because they can. basically make it like Live for Max instead of Max for Live.

Edited by ignatius
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Do you guys think that the cheapest "intro" version of Ableton Live would be enough to mix and beat match together a bunch of tracks to create a mix? It doesn't have to be real-time. Just something better than let's say Audacity. I can then master it later with some other software if needed.

For sure, with the Intro version you can have up to 16 simultaneous tracks with 16 scenes.... For starting off that limit is more than capable at putting together a full track or mix

Here's a comparison between the Intro, Standard and Suite releases - https://www.ableton.com/en/live/compare-editions/

• Like 1

Could probably even do it with Ableton Live Lite, for which you can get a serial number bundled with Koala Sampler on iOS, for £4.99

• Like 2

Thanks guys! I might have the Lite license keys somewhere. I'll check when I get back home.

don't mean to be that guy. but as a under-privileged latin-american citizen I can say there's other ways to circumvent this

• Like 1