IGNORED

Thys & Amon Tobin - Ithaca

Squee

a0973969525_10.jpg

https://amontobin.bandcamp.com/album/ithaca

No samples on Bandcamp yet, but there are some short ones here:
https://store.visionrecordings.nl/product/vsn075-digital/

The EP they put out earlier this year was fucking amazing. Here it is for those who haven't heard it:
https://amontobin.bandcamp.com/album/ghostcards

• 2 weeks later...

Nice listen but I was kinda wishing they were gonna go full turbo nerd on some bass music.

Edited by acid1

I’ve been extremely underwhelmed by his output since moving to the Nomark format, and this release was no different. Which is a shame because he used to be one of my favourite artists.

theres the odd track on “Fear in a Handful...” that is p amazing but aside from that... like it’s all extremely well produced? But all the other releases including this one sound soulless to me, like it’s all music for car commercials pumped out by the corporate media team. I’m just picturing Mathew McConaughey in each track here...

anyone else hearing what I’m hearing?

/rant 

(haven’t had my coffee yet this morning ?)

Edited by Hugh Mughnus

1 hour ago, Hugh Mughnus said:

I’ve been extremely underwhelmed by his output since moving to the Nomark format, and this release was no different. Which is a shame because he used to be one of my favourite artists.

theres the odd track on “Fear in a Handful...” that is p amazing but aside from that... like it’s all extremely well produced? But all the other releases including this one sound soulless to me, like it’s all music for car commercials pumped out by the corporate media team. I’m just picturing Mathew McConaughey in each track here...

anyone else hearing what I’m hearing?

/rant 

(haven’t had my coffee yet this morning ?)

Yes. Nothing will ever come close to the Bricolage/Permutations/Supermodifiedtrio for me. 

• Like 1

I don't like The Foley Room and ISAM, but the last couple of releases of his (including these two with Thys/Theijs) have all been amazing. But he'll forever stigmatised by his early output.

• Like 1

I thought foley room was great! ISAM is where stuff started to fall off (in my books). 

I’m not writing him off at this point, and not even sure how to best articulate what is irking me about the recent releases... it just feels like they’re churned out en masse and they’re missing something, they don’t sound like Tobin. I guess you’re right he’s stigmatized by having a certain sound early in his career.

Sorry didn’t mean to derail the thread btw. Glad you’re enjoying this! ?

I’ll give it a few hours and give this another listen. ?

Edited by Hugh Mughnus

17 minutes ago, Squee said:

the last couple of releases of his 

Mind if I ask which ones specifically? I’d like to direct my attention to them (I haven’t heard everything new maybe I missed a few gems!) ?

39 minutes ago, Hugh Mughnus said:

Mind if I ask which ones specifically? I’d like to direct my attention to them (I haven’t heard everything new maybe I missed a few gems!) ?

"On A Hilltop sat the Moon" and "Pale Forms Run By" from "Fear in a Handful of Dust" are fairly similar, but they're so so good. I get goosebumps when the bass fades in. There are a lot of nerdy beep boop modular stuff on that release that should get any IDM boi hard. Those tracks don't do me any good, but each to their own.
"Long Stories" which came shortly after "On a Hilltop..." sounds like the continuation of what he had going on the Splinter Cell soundtrack just without all the sampling and drums. So imagine it being the Splinter Cell soundtrack on "intensity 0" on the game parameter that controls the music. I love it.

Then him and Thys/Theijs released "Ghostcards" which is the most sluggish and corny shit you can imagine filtered through pure genius and melancholia. It shouldn't work but it absolutely works.

I really like this new cinematic Amon Tobin.

Oh, and no worries about derailing the thread. We're just having a conversation and I'm trying to shovel Amon Tobin's new stuff into everyone's mouth.