IGNORED

What else should I get?

YEK

After a long deliberation I've decided to stay with ableton live and abandon my hopes of an all hardware setup.

I have some extra money 

I'm thinking get a new cartridge for the extra turntable for sampling

Also maybe a zoom recorder

I have nice headphones and speakers already...

• Like 1

If you're gonna stay with Live for a while get a push 2 imho.

I'd get a not too great cartridge for sampling, most stuff that's gonna be interesting enough to sample is gonna sound rough anyway, that's my take on it. I've only ever had a, eh, small taste of sampling. 

Or just get the zoom and spend the money you were gonna spend on the cartridge on befriending someone that has a great hifi setup and record collection and slowly introduce the zoom into your listening sessions. Build an amazing sample library and sell it. Use this money to gain access to someone with an even greater setup and collection. Rinse and repeat.  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, user said:

If you're gonna stay with Live for a while get a push 2 imho.

I'd get a not too great cartridge for sampling, most stuff that's gonna be interesting enough to sample is gonna sound rough anyway, that's my take on it. I've only ever had a, eh, small taste of sampling. 

Or just get the zoom and spend the money you were gonna spend on the cartridge on befriending someone that has a great hifi setup and record collection and slowly introduce the zoom into your listening sessions. Build an amazing sample library and sell it. Use this money to gain access to someone with an even greater setup and collection. Rinse and repeat.  

Is the push 2 better than push 1 ? because I have a push 1..

As far as cartridge I like the idea of one of those dj ortofons that you just plug in... hm

virtual CZ by Oli Larkin is $13 at plug in boutique if you need some CZ style wahtever. i don't own it but people seem to like it a lot. 

https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/1-Instruments/4-Synth/1158-VirtualCZ

there's a site where you can get hydrophones.. mic for submerging in water. they're not expensive if memory serves. i'll have to find the bookmark. they're made for field recording.  also there's those little conductive mics you can put on any electronics and it picks up all the fuzz and electro what not that's going on. induction mics! that's what i was trying to remember. 

here's links to recommendations for all the fun mics for field recording. 

https://www.creativefieldrecording.com/2017/06/07/the-unconventional-microphone-buyers-guide/

• Like 1

One does not just "Get Started Making Music"

At the very least we need to wait for masterclass videos on how to use each piece of gear.

• Like 1

People seem to swear by the Superlux S502 (semi-clone of a $3200 USD Schoeps mic) as one of the best affordable field recording mics of all time. You probably couldn't go wrong with a Zoom and one of those, although I've never actually tried one myself.

https://www.thomannmusic.com/superlux_s502.htm

EDIT: obligatory Gearslutz thread https://www.gearslutz.com/board/remote-possibilities-in-location-recording-amp-production/568801-superlux-s502.html

Edited by TubularCorporation

Push 2 is nicer in every way, but it’s not really an upgrade, from what I know, at least not a $800 one. The only functionality I know of that is different is I think there’s a “convert to simpler” button for audio clips.

There might be more, but really I think the push 2 is more about their split with Akai.