IGNORED

Is Hyperpop The Future Of Pop?

hijexx

11 minutes ago, chenGOD said:

I'm just trying to clarify that this is nothing really new.

that's my take on it too. it just sounds like pop+ or aspects of pop searching for a trend or a sound or smoething. somoene did it then a bunch of other people did it and now they're a trend. meh. 

3 minutes ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

I don't recall hearing anything that sounded much like the new Arca or Sophie in the pop world 10 years ago.  But many of the other clips I've checked in this thread do sound like parody of what I've been hearing for a long time... and not like what I associate with either of those artists, so I'm not sure I'm totally clear on what the genre is.

brokencyde? ?  lols. there was all kinds of pop weird 10 years ago. we probably just didn't hear it. 

edit. sorry. 

Edited by ignatius

45 minutes ago, sheatheman said:

This is a dumb conversation though. We should just post music in here. Who cares about ethnomusicology

Spoiler

14 minutes ago, Alcofribas said:

would you like to come back to mine? i should warn you - my cum...it's very hyper

Spoiler

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Farnsworth 1

i, human #3458739543580, have an opinion on this music that i think not only transcends the ideological confines of the genre but does so in a way that renders the genre lesser than others, and therefore renders listeners of the genre lesser as well, but most importantly, lesser than me, because not only do they listen to this music despite it being so heavily ready for criticism, but they didn't come up with the criticism themselves, and the feeling this gives me inside makes me so happy that i can't enjoy this music, in fact it exceeds the enjoyment that those who enjoy listening to this music receive when they listen to it.  the idea that people want to enjoy things rather than deconstruct them makes my grin wider than the chasm between the iqs of those who listen to such substandard music, and myself, a superior music listener who has much more in-depth taste

This is what I consider to be the prototype of what this thread is referring to, which I lump in with Arca/Sophie, but seems incongruous with a lot of the other references mentioned such as 100 Gecs.  In which case... what is the genre people most commonly use to describe this:

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Alcofribas said:

get that guy a record deal

Never mind a record deal, that guy is clearly a comedian.

"Never want to have another one for as long as you live, but you know what? They just keep on cumming."

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

This is what I consider to be the prototype of what this thread is referring to, which I lump in with Arca/Sophie, but seems incongruous with a lot of the other references mentioned such as 100 Gecs.  In which case... what is the genre people most commonly use to describe this:

I like that quite a lot. Very Mark Fell/Markus Popp, but with vox.

Listening to the SOPHIE album, it's kind of all over the place, I don't think "ponyboy" is really representative of the album in general. I still don't think it's very good or anything, but that's just my opinion. Like I think there are people doing more interesting things with pop music.

I will say that AG Cook is a good producer - he takes a lot of elements from vapourwave/dream pop/"edm" and blends them together well.

it seems so often that the meaning and impact of the music is supposed to come from the personal sociopolitical positioning of the artist themselves and not the other way around. this is really fucking problematic from an critical perspective. the personal is not inherently political, esp. when art is concerned. second-wave feminism is very discredited these days and i don't know why that has stuck around.

Edited by dr lopez
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, dr lopez said:

it seems so often that the meaning and impact of the music is supposed to come from the personal sociopolitical positioning of the artist themselves and not the other way around. this is really fucking problematic from an critical perspective. the personal is not inherently political, esp. when art is concerned. second-wave feminism is very discredited these days and i don't know why that has stuck around.

this is the flip side of the tendency to cancel art if the artist had objectionable views at any point in their life. i feel like we live in a moment where all criticism takes place on the level of a social media profile and rarely goes much deeper than this. I like this music or this movie bc it is promoted as being by a person who has the kind of profile signifiers i identify with etc. we’re obsessed with identities but only their surface. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dr lopez said:

Which is kind of where my disliek for the latest Arca album comes from. So much personal exposition.

To be fair, I think this particular bit of nonsense (hyperpop) is coming from the genre fetishists....weird group them.

2 hours ago, dr lopez said:

Yes earlier in the thread someone mentioned the vital contributions to early electronic music by queer/LGBT people, but I think in all of those examples, the extent at which they made the music about themselves was far less pronounced than with these hyperpop artists. 

As much as enjoy some hyperpop, what you describe really limits that enjoyment, and I also can't take it seriously. AG Cook is good because there's a strong sense of irony and satire, it's MEANT  to be vapid and self centred, because it's satirising pop music from the 90s and early 2000s. It's definitely an extension of vaporwave.

But just like vaporwave, there's a vast range of attitudes within the hyperpop genre: some artists seem to exaggerate pop sensibilities because they think its just good, like they're not in on the joke. I kinda like Arca's latest album, but I feel like it sits in this category, probably Sophie too.

But then there's also the whole thing of it being pop music at the end of the day and pop isn't meant to be taken seriously and somehow Arca and Sophie are all laughing at us that it's ACTUALLY US that don't get the joke, they ARE making ironic pop music while simultaneously making a serious artistic and "political" statement because of some post-post-modern ideological labyrinthine trap where A is equal to A AND B and nothing really makes sense... Ugh... 

• Like 2
  • Farnsworth 1