IGNORED

Too much great new music coming out

kuniklo

2020 was the worst year in my memory in every respect but music. There have been so many great releases this year and I feel like I haven't had time to give most of them the attention they deserve. Anybody else feeling a bit overwhelmed? Previously I felt there was a lot of new music coming out but I could sift through it pretty quickly and skip most of it but this year has been a bonanza.

Edited by kuniklo
  • Like 3

its been a strange year all round..i think if one good thing has come from all this covid business its that musicians, labels and outlets have had a real driving force to put extra time into their work. a lot of musicians especially (in the UK at least) have found that time is the one thing we seem to have a surplus of. 

trouble is, for me at least, its overwhelming sometimes. especially when bandcamp friday rolls around and the flood of new releases come through my inboxes..not a negative but very intimidating. my wishlist has never been fuller! and considering i'm in the camp of musicians putting more time into producing, its difficult to find the time to properly consume all this amazing music being released.

i've bought so much music, digital and physical, but barely had the time to touch ANY of it..again, not a negative, i love new music and stuff but my "to listen" list is absolutely swamped..

• Like 2

I feel that covid has created like, this mini renaissance for music, but like mause said above, its tricky because at this point theres SO much new music that were all gonna be back logged for a while. A blessing and a curse lol

• Like 2

16 hours ago, kuniklo said:

2020 was the worst year in my memory in every respect but music. There have been so many great releases this year and I feel like I haven't had time to give most of them the attention they deserve. Anybody else feeling a bit overwhelmed? Previously I felt there was a lot of new music coming out but I could sift through it pretty quickly and skip most of it but this year has been a bonanza.

list pls, i'm sure i've missed a lot of great releases and would love to listen to some

• Like 1

I've spent about seven years very gradually (and not always successfully) decreasing the number of new releases I buy each year, because there isn't enough time to listen to them. When I was a teenager, and even a student, I had shitloads of free time and a (comparatively) small record collection. At this point, there isn't enough time to listen to the stuff I already own, and putting in the hours to fully 'get in' to a new album is harder and harder. I keep following labels on Bandcamp and then having to unfollow because I've already bought two or three albums that week and know that I'll only give maybe one of them enough time to really sink in, and the other two will probably sit on my shelf and iTunes and only get listened to another four or five times in my life. 

It is the absolute first world problem, but there really is too much music and sometimes I wonder whether it'll just be better to step back and follow my favourite artists from now on. If only half of my almost-guaranteed-purchase artists released one album a year I'd still end up with more than I could properly get into.

But then I go through periods of wanting something that has a certain exciting 'newness' so this isn't going to happen.

Edited by purlieu

Yeah it's a good problem to have but I've found I have to deliberately focus my listening. I'm just happier getting deeper into a smaller number of albums then skipping around on ten new records every day.

They do say that hard times breed better art. That certainly seems to have happened this year.

3 hours ago, purlieu said:

But then I go through periods of wanting something that has a certain exciting 'newness' so this isn't going to happen.

This is my issue. Agree with all the points above, but I’m constantly in search of artists who innovate and are immersive. 

But yeah - I’m embarrassed at the amount of good music I go through that only gets 1 or 2 listens.

4 hours ago, kuniklo said:

Most of the stuff I really liked I tried to buy off bandcamp and not just stream so most of it is here:

https://bandcamp.com/kuniklo

bookmarked your collection for later digging..cant help but notice, you could use a little mause in there ?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Extralife said:

I see you gifted Impossible Star to someone. Nice one!

I’ve been listening to MBM since 99% way back in 1990. I haven’t followed his work that closely lately but I still enjoy it when it comes on. My brother is a huge fan so he got the gift. 

there's definitely too much new music, that's without a doubt. the problem imo is that we (i?) dont know how much of it is great because it's hard to sit with and absorb and enjoy much of it to be able to truly appreciate if it's 'great' or not because there's always the next thing happening, and at least for me it's hard to turn that spigot off and just enjoy what's there. 

Spoiler

edit: anyway i've got 2 or 3 new albums coming out next year! like and subscribe!

Edited by auxien
  • Like 2

Yeah a lot of my favorite records didn’t click into place with me until I’d listened to them many times. In fact many of them first struck me as annoying or confusing at first because they were doing something I didn’t understand right away. I’m trying not to lose that kind of attentive listening in the face of so much stuff I want to check out.

• Like 2