IGNORED

The Orb - Auntie Aubrey's Excursions Beyond The Call Of Duty Part 3 (The Orb Remix Project)

fumi

1607073625_cs4863251-02a-big.jpg

Wow. This is a pleasant surprise. Most of 2020 has been full of rather unpleasant ones.

Part 3 in this long running series. I remember picking up the first one back in the mid-90s - back when I was slimmer and had more hair.

I'm still very fond of the first two in the series, especially the first one. I'm sure there will be some interesting pieces on here too.

https://theorb.lnk.to/auntieaubreys3

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, fumi said:

1607073625_cs4863251-02a-big.jpg

Wow. This is a pleasant surprise. Most of 2020 has been full of rather unpleasant ones.

Part 3 in this long running series. I remember picking up the first one back in the mid-90s - back when I was slimmer and had more hair.

I'm still very fond of the first two in the series, especially the first one. I'm sure there will be some interesting pieces on here too.

https://theorb.lnk.to/auntieaubreys3

Oh wow, yes!! Agree that part 1 is great, part 2 is meh. Excited to hear this!

Cautiously optimistic about this one. First part is unfuckwithable. Second part has a few great tracks surrounded by crap. 

And as we all know, Orb of recent years has been hit or miss. 

(I did enjoy Familia though)

2 minutes ago, Extralife said:

Cautiously optimistic about this one. First part is unfuckwithable. Second part has a few great tracks surrounded by crap. 

And as we all know, Orb of recent years has been hit or miss. 

(I did enjoy Familia though)

18 minutes ago, Friendly Stranger said:

Oh wow, yes!! Agree that part 1 is great, part 2 is meh. Excited to hear this!

24 minutes ago, dr lopez said:

first one is good, second one not as much but still ok. wonder what this'll sound like

Yeah, the first one was stellar. Second one was not so good. Hope there isn't a pattern emerging.

Yes, that first one is excellent, and the second one felt like a huge dip in quality by comparison, although there are some great tracks on there. I'm cautiously optimistic about this, but the Orb has been pretty disappointing lately, for the most part. 

Wow - this is totally unexpected to me. Conversely I think I prefer vol.2 over 1 but that may just be the order I heard them (Had 2 for about a decade longer than when I found a copy of the first). As long as it has a lot of Fehlmann stuff I'll be OK with it....

That first one really was kick-ass. Had a listen again this evening. 

The Depeche Mode and Erasure remixes. Keiichi Suzuki- Satellite Serenade, Yasuaki Shimizu - Secret Squirrel.

Little known fact: On the original 1996 release, many of the tracks are mastered in mono. The 2001 reissues (still bearing the 1996 copyrights) corrected the error, but also changed the tracklist.

Here is the full double album from 96. Man, those were some good times.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, purlieu said:

This is truly unexpected. I like the "oh, we haven't done an album in this series for 20 years, let's pick it up again" vibe.

The Orb project is basically a cash-grab at this point. It can still be entertaining at tImes.

Here's the bandcamp link https://liquidsounddesignuk.bandcamp.com/album/auntie-aubreys-excursions-beyond-the-call-of-duty-pt-3-the-orb-remix-project

Edit: lol I didn't realize it was behind the link the first post

Anyway, defo buying digital

Edited by zkom
  • Like 1

Funny thing is I already have the Auntie Aubrey's 3 and 4 bootleg compilations on my hard drive so need to rename those maybe to something different. Can't remember where I got them but I've had them for more than a decade I'm pretty sure.

Listened the whole thing from start to finish. The style and quality varies quite a lot, there are some tracks I really like and some are quite meh, but it's 2h21min so there's plenty to pick from. So don't be put off by the first track with the dubstep wobble bass if you hate that sort of thing, the rest of the tracks aren't really similar.

1 hour ago, zkom said:

Listened the whole thing from start to finish. The style and quality varies quite a lot, there are some tracks I really like and some are quite meh, but it's 2h21min so there's plenty to pick from. So don't be put off by the first track with the dubstep wobble bass if you hate that sort of thing, the rest of the tracks aren't really similar.

Yeah looking at the tracklist, there are remixes from many of the Orb’s incantations of the past 20+ years. Always loved the Davy Jones one.

I broke down and bought one.

1 hour ago, dr lopez said:

sending a prayer to maggie thatcher to log back on and send us those rare plateau mixes. goddamn it i can't believe i lost those. FUCK. 

I got em somewhere. Give me a minute.

Yeah, I keep wondering about him. I remember he was really kind negative toward the orb for a while after his departure, to the point that he wrote a bunch about it. Just seemed kinda petty, at a certain level, the way he was talking shit, and maybe a little crazy. But the dude's stamp on the orb was undeniably great. I vaguely recall hearing some solo output of his about ten or so years ago that I quite liked. Really weird, and that was some of my favorite stuff about the orb back in the day, like the Pomme Fritz and Orbus side-roads. I recently revisited Orbus for the first time in a while and was instantly reminded about why that was my favorite album for so many years. 

As for this collection, I've had it on in the background while I've been working and doing stuff around the house, and it's pretty good. I'd say it's not nearly as adventurous as the first compilation, and not nearly as cringe-y as some moments in the second collection, but it also lacks some of the genius moments that the second collection has, too. It's like a less-offensive, mellow follow-up to the second collection. But hey, if it doesn't make me cringe (the way, say, the Metallic Orb featurin' Davey Gillsmore does), then I'm happy to add it to my very large Orb CD collection. 

• Like 1