IGNORED

Aleksi Perälä - Midnight Sun

pabs

59 minutes ago, ignatius said:

it's a weird one. like he's working forward and backwards simultaneously.. gonna reach back and connect the streams of colundi and astrobotnia.

i just remember i saw him for that planet mu tour way back w/dmx krew and mike p. at the casbah in san diego.. mike's computer crashed like 30 times. early days of laptop hi jinx. 

Very much feels like a colundi x astronobotnia release to me! Good call

20 hours ago, Extralife said:
20 hours ago, Stickfigger said:

Hardest working generative algo out there at the moment 

I’m not a producer. Do you think there is truth to this? How much would you say is generative?

Algorithmic music has been around for ages. I think he sets up a formula for sound palette and roughly how songs will go and basically does a "paint by numbers" with his own material. Personally, I don't have a problem with that since his formula is so enjoyable. It must be very robust, and that's commendable.

These aren't bad, but a lot of the tracks just seem like minor variations on the same concept. I ended up picking a couple of my favorites but i'm kind of running out of steam for buying full Colundi "albums".

• Like 1

Look at the order he put the latest albums in: 

image.png

More Midnight Sun albums to complete the puzzle? Not caught up with 2B yet, but I've heard 1 and 2A a bunch of times now, plus that 2 hour mix. Incredible how he keeps his sound fresh with the frequency of output. Hardly have time to revisit the older stuff, so whenever I'm in the mood for it (had a few months off with colundi) I can just catch up with just new stuff instead ?

Nice one, Aleksi. On the top of his game. 

• Like 3

Just now, Herr Jan said:

image.png

More Midnight Sun albums to complete the puzzle? Not caught up with 2B yet, but I've heard 1 and 2A a bunch of times now, plus that 2 hour mix. Incredible how he keeps his sound fresh with the frequency of output. Hardly have time to revisit the older stuff, so whenever I'm in the mood for it (had a few months off with colundi) I can just catch up with just new stuff instead ?

2b is already out? Lol ? I’m just figuring out midnight sun 1 

7 hours ago, Herr Jan said:

image.png

Good catch on the puzzle!  We can probably expect 3A, 3B, 3C next...

Listening to 2B right now for the first time....barely on track 3 but WOW.  holy shit this guy's on FIRE.

7 hours ago, Herr Jan said:

image.png

What 2 hour mix?

As much as I really like a lot of the stuff he's done in the last few years I do wish he'd do a bit more editing. It feels like these four albums could have easily been just one of 100% strong tracks. I now have 24 albums from him in my collection and I'm not sure I have room for very many more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ok, I finally finished listening to part 4A.  WOW.  For those of you saying Aleksi puts out too much stuff and you're gonna skip this one, don't.  It's a new direction for him, yet again.  After crunching my brain, it finally dawned on me by about the end that it is very reminiscent of D'arcangelo ala Broken Toys Corner.  This album is very Rephlex, it's like a mix of the above and classic Ovuca.  Some beautiful melodies on this one.  Favorite track MAY be #7.  It's really hard to say.  This album is a single vibe.  I love this guy.

• Like 2