IGNORED

Aleksi Perälä - Midnight Sun

pabs

4 hours ago, pabs said:

Ok, I finally finished listening to part 4A.  WOW.  For those of you saying Aleksi puts out too much stuff and you're gonna skip this one, don't.  It's a new direction for him, yet again.  After crunching my brain, it finally dawned on me by about the end that it is very reminiscent of D'arcangelo ala Broken Toys Corner.  This album is very Rephlex, it's like a mix of the above and classic Ovuca.  Some beautiful melodies on this one.  Favorite track MAY be #7.  It's really hard to say.  This album is a single vibe.  I love this guy.

+1

And ftr I'm usually these days in camp "it's too much". 

I totally get the "it's too much" sentiment, but it's all about what you prioritize.  At the end of the day, good music is good music.  If RDJ put out this much music, I'd listen to all of it also.  For me I get excited every time I see AP put something out...I take a lot of walks and have a lot of music time these days, so I'm always down to hear what he has to say.  These have really been hitting the spot during this extra shitty year.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, pabs said:

I totally get the "it's too much" sentiment, but it's all about what you prioritize.  At the end of the day, good music is good music.  If RDJ put out this much music, I'd listen to all of it also.  For me I get excited every time I see AP put something out...I take a lot of walks and have a lot of music time these days, so I'm always down to hear what he has to say.  These have really been hitting the spot during this extra shitty year.

This series in particular has been awesome. I’m walking less lately (Canadian winter lol) but I’m still trying to make time for all of these!

• Like 1

This series in particular has been awesome. I’m walking less lately (Canadian winter lol) but I’m still trying to make time for all of these!

Oh shit, fair enough buddy! I forget that not everybody has walkable weather.

I’ve got a check my southern California privilege…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, pabs said:

For those of you saying Aleksi puts out too much stuff and you're gonna skip this one, don't.

I am one of those and dammit, yes, 4 A is a complete diverse album of music. And it is quite good.

• Like 1

Tell me about it…The guy can do so many styles, but this style might be my favorite. He does the dreamscapes thing so well… Getting a lot of Wasted Sunday/Astrobotnia vibes, which is a very good thing!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, species8472 said:

@Extralife honestly don’t really know sun electric - tell me where to start

https://www.discogs.com/Sun-Electric-30794-Live/master/23484

Epic ambience.

https://www.discogs.com/Sun-Electric-Present/master/23486

Their masterpiece.

https://www.discogs.com/Sun-Electric-Aaah-CD/master/23480

What I used to call good trance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, sherkaner said:

I can always count on you to catch my references from like a quarter century ago. You also must be painfully old.

(By the way, Sun Electric on bandcamp: https://sunelectric.bandcamp.com/ )

I’m 38...not that old. But yeah, I’m trying to teach my kids about Sun Electric. 

3 hours ago, pabs said:

But the next Bandcamp Friday is Feb 5, he’ll be up to 13D by then...

That's what the wishlist is for, my man.

7 hours ago, sherkaner said:

I can always count on you to catch my references from like a quarter century ago. You also must be painfully old

A quarter of a century is nothing!

Those Sun Electric records still sound good to me in the right mood though. Takes me back to listening to them on San Francisco trains on my discman. 

my take is that there are amazing tracks on all of them so far and you're a fool for not listening to everything he puts out. sifting through it all is part of the fun. the lesser tracks put you in colundi headspace and uncovering a gem is a great discovery

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, dr lopez said:

my take is that there are amazing tracks on all of them so far and you're a fool for not listening to everything he puts out. sifting through it all is part of the fun. the lesser tracks put you in colundi headspace and uncovering a gem is a great discovery

You're not wrong.  I get stoked for the sifting every time!

However, I do think that 4A may be his best overall album in the last 2 years, which is saying a lot given his volume of releases...anybody who doesn't like the treasure sifting that we do should at least listen to this one.  I just can't stop listening.