IGNORED

post your favorite hi hats

Alcofribas

I love when you have a complex, intricate beat and then a real simple hi hat comes in filling each note to anchor everything.

Aphex seems to do this a lot, like at 0:54 in Laughable Butane Bob

• Like 2

On 12/26/2020 at 7:17 PM, toaoaoad said:

nice pick, love these hats. the way the 808 is mixed here is so good, i love how upfront the hats are with a bit of delay and modulation, how boomy the kick is and how totally chill and soft the snare is. the hats really steal the show though.

i still freak out about how good this album is. there's a lot of really cool sampling on this, i remember reading back when it came out that those big percussive sounds on this were from samples of them banging on a beer keg. also how the intro synth strings were meant to resemble the sound of waves - i love how each note/chord sounds like a different variation of the same patch. the PWM synth always gets me so good on this - it's pure emotion to me.

• Farnsworth 1

6 minutes ago, Alcofribas said:

nice pick, love these hats. the way the 808 is mixed here is so good, i love how upfront the hats are with a bit of delay and modulation, how boomy the kick is and how totally chill and soft the snare is. the hats really steal the show though.

i still freak out about how good this album is. there's a lot of really cool sampling on this, i remember reading back when it came out that those big percussive sounds on this were from samples of them banging on a beer keg. also how the intro synth strings were meant to resemble the sound of waves - i love how each note/chord sounds like a different variation of the same patch. the PWM synth always gets me so good on this - it's pure emotion to me.

goddamn just relistened to this. what a fucking beast. it's like techno chamber music on nyquil or something. it has everything - the 808, the 303 acid bassline, lush pads. but it's just in it's own universe of utter lushness what the fuck.

• Burger 1

an alco original:

the first time i ever got drunk was listening to in sides. this was new at the time - the summer of 96 when i was 14 i used to listen to the radio before bed and this one station would play kind of cool stuff and they played "the box." the name was scorched into my brain: orbital. the box. in sides. the next day i walked over to best buy and got the album. it completely blew my mind. this was one of the main records that really pushed me into full blown love of electronic music (with the downward spiral kicking it all off and subliminal sandwich sealing the deal). i could only listen to this on special occasions because it was so powerful and at the time that meant on friday or saturday evenings when my mom worked late and i could be alone and just crank it. so, my friend gave me a bottle of wine he stole from his dad and even though we were supposed to drink it together i decided i was gonna bust it out on one of my special evenings with in sides. it took me like half an hour of destroying the cork to get those crimson tides flowing but once it got going i turned on in sides to volume 11 and had the time of my goddamn life.

sometime after track 3 i woke up the next morning. i new something was wrong. first of all, why was it the next day lol. second, my lights were on? and importantly, my door was open. this never happened, my chamber remained an inner sanctum locked from outside invaders (my mother). i got up and drank a bunch of water and my mom explained to me that when she came home there were multiple messages on the answering machine from my upstairs neighbor asking me to turn down the music lmao. so she knocked on my door and asked what was up but i told her i was busy and wouldn't come out. i have no recollection of any of this. anyway, eventually i relented and opened the door only to immediately barf all over myself. she instantly saw the wine bottle on my desk (as well as some empty beer cans i must have taken out of the fridge where her boyfriend kept his elixirs. i went in deep.) later on i noticed that in my cd player was the second fucking disc - my drunk as listened to all of in sides and then moved on to the second fucking bonus disc after cracking some random beers like the man of the house, the king of his castle.

alco's first drunk review: 10/10

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

In Sides is their masterpiece. Those pitch bends/vibratos on The Girl with the Sun in Her Head are :yeah:

In my early teens I had Orbital 1 first, and then Middle of Nowhere which was the newest at the time, then Snivilisation, and then finally picked up In Sides after that. I'd been familiar with The Box (and The Saint) already, so I knew that In Sides was kinda "the" Orbital album I needed to get, but I lived in a remote community and was limited by whatever I could find at the record store when we'd go into town. When I picked it up it's like everything I already knew I loved about Orbital came together in one singular piece (although interestingly there are no 4-on-the-floor tracks on the whole album). They managed to capture something on this album that is as diverse and colourful as the artwork. Everything is so lush and alive. 

Edited by toaoaoad
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, dr lopez said:

i remember reading eugene's weak ass review of in sides on here a few years back, getting mad and drinking a bottle of wine in protest

yeah that was cringe. he said it was like video game music

On 12/18/2020 at 11:24 PM, toaoaoad said:

re: Squarepusher hats, if I had to pick one from Burningn'n it would definitely be this one:

I mean damn.

And absolutely this one too:

Yes!! How the F does he make the 606 sound so JAZZY?

Edited by sweepstakes
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, sweepstakes said:

Yes!! How the F does he make the 606 sound so JAZZY?

Right? Truly programmed with the mind of an actual drummer. Some of those riffs are just so tasty. This is the kind of thing that really set him apart from the rest. 

==========

Unrelated:

Say what you will about Thom Yorke's electronic productions, but this came on the other day and reminded me how I always loved that aggressive hi hat in this tune, it really characterizes the whole rhythm. And it's a killer tune in general. 

Edited by toaoaoad
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

this thread is great, shall it skitter on.

a nice simple hat pattern anchors the beat on this tune, with just the right amount of echo and reverb (ie, loads) in the mix

Edited by markedone
  • Like 2