IGNORED

writing DANCE music

YEK

Watmm is tight because I can feel a multi page trumpet discussion brewing in a thread about making dance music.

of course I’ve listened to my share of miles. If I had to pick a favorite player off the top of my head, it would be arve henricksen. His style is a little samey, but he helped me chart a course to my own trumpet tone, because he really affirms the trumpet can have a soft, expressive folk music feel to it. It’s a tone that comes out more when you are first learning, and most teachers would tell you it’s just an amateur sound on your way to achieving a traditionally bright concert tone, but yeah there is so much space for more interpretation regarding how a trumpet should sound, but you don’t fine nearly as many examples of idiosyncratic tone like you do on an instrument like guitar.

nother good one is John hassel? I love putting some effects on my trumpet too.

heres the one trumpet track I’ve uploaded if anyone is interested

https://m.soundcloud.com/space-available/halo

• Like 1

Like I said, I’m too weak to play trumpet. I do have a history, however, of competence on the tenor saxophone. If saxophones weren’t so crazy expensive, I’d have bought one already.

Instead, I’m working my way through a jazz guitar book (Mickey Baker). My fingers hurt like crazy but it’s very satisfying. Much better than staring at a screen (laptop or Elektron) to make music. Must be a COVID thing.

50 minutes ago, dingformung said:

I can't emphasise enough that all drums need to be tuned to the key of your track, there is much more depth to the sound that way and mixing is easier: Everything sounds less muddy, and much clearer.

i think from the AAA when asked about lack of melody i think techre response was "it's funny because every part of our tracks is tuned" [puts on sunglasses gif]

• Like 1

I make techno every once in a while when I get tired of doing intricate stuff. I made a short album of techno tunes with the Digitone that should get a release at some point.

This was the last one I made (also Digitone): https://colindyer.bandcamp.com/track/june-chune

• Like 2

Man I’ve been watching some Giant Swans sets recently and their live energy is so infectious. For me the only time I make DANCE music is when I’m jamming with someone. My main friend who I played live with before has moved to Seattle. Really wish I had someone to do live techno with again.

Trumpet was the second instrument I ever wanted to play, but it made my face hurt so much the first time I tried it that I changed my mind.

The first instrument I wanted to play was the accordion, but that should go without saying.

3 hours ago, sheatheman said:

Man I’ve been watching some Giant Swans sets recently and their live energy is so infectious. For me the only time I make DANCE music is when I’m jamming with someone. My main friend who I played live with before has moved to Seattle. Really wish I had someone to do live techno with again.

oh true.. i forgot about jams w/a friend who loves acid techno.. we some dance-ish tunes way back. all live jams too which was fun. live jamming in a techno rule set is pretty dope.

free download btw. 

https://buriedintimecompilations.bandcamp.com/album/dica

• Like 1

Nice and raw. I’ve never uploaded jams really besides solo jams  

Whenever I jam 1/2 bar techno, I always end up with the tempo at like 127-135.

in truth the half bar/8 sequencer steps formula is better with some tracks/machines set to 12 steps, some to 2 bars, some 3 bars, etc. all those interlacing rhythms are what make the repetition interesting for an hour. Also, you gotta continually remake the patterns and tweak parameters.