IGNORED

why does Live mess with my MIDI CCs? please help a dumbuser

thawkins

I admit I am not much of a manual reading person, and it is probably described somewhere inside, but I don't even know what section to look at. I need to rant about this, tomorrow I will Google (unless it is down again).

Basically my issue today is that I am messing with my project, and I have some loops going, I may have touched some CCs on my external MIDI controllers but there is no arrangement automation or no clips on the track that I am about to record a loop on.

So I arm the track and grab the drumsticks, ready to record this really sick beat I have on the Yamaha DTX12M. Before I start recording the clip in session view, I rehearse a bit and the sound and everything is nicely in place.

Then I hit the clip record button, using my trusty Boss FS-5u and it triggers nicely the clip record in Live, BUT FOR SOME REASON, Live has sent a MIDI CC setting the filter cutoff to 0 so I suddenly can't hear my sick beat as I am playing it. What is going on?!?!

This happens also sometimes when I have messed with the physical CC72 release knob on some gear and I guess Live stores this knowledge somewhere in order to reset the value to the most useless value ever - the 0.

I guess it has to do something with the automation system and how Live records the things I do.

I remember having similar issues in the past. IIRC it had something to do with some automation data not being deleted correctly. Was a very frustrating process. Try toggling the automation data as well, might fix it.

• Like 1

Yeah it only usually happens when I am recording on a track for the 2nd time.

I find it absolutely ridiculous that I can have the track running and armed when I noodle around (and arrangement record is on), so I actually have tweaked the CC in question to a nice value, and the moment I hit record, it "helpfully" resets.

Perhaps related to the overdub setting? I mostly only record audio anymore with live. Not for this reason but memory is a bit fuzzy

Edited by user

Overdub makes no sense because this CC reset happens a long time into the project where there should be no pre-existing automation on the track. Also it's literally resetting the CC value when I have just tweaked it to a nice value and want to record a clip that's only notes.

It might be something I am missing with the different modes of arrangement automation.

Thanks for thinking along btw.

2 hours ago, thawkins said:

Overdub makes no sense because this CC reset happens a long time into the project where there should be no pre-existing automation on the track. Also it's literally resetting the CC value when I have just tweaked it to a nice value and want to record a clip that's only notes.

It might be something I am missing with the different modes of arrangement automation.

Thanks for thinking along btw.

I'm glad to help, even/especially when it's no use ?

Fair point regarding overdub. Like you say; have you tried toggling the back to arrangement switch? That's fucked me a couple of times.

• Like 1