IGNORED

Happy Day-for-Night Anniversary

phudoshin

Happy 4 years since this epic event when the Aphex Twin came out of a small hiatus to wow us with such an extraordinary performance including his first live twiddling in years, a secret  event-only vinyl release,  tracks from Jlin , qebrus, sd laika,  acid rain, supreme visuals from weirdcore and the getting together of a lot of former, current and new watmmers via the dischord channel.

I flew over from Ireland to throw myself at the US reave scene before Trump took hold and it was spectacular... met really amazing people but have drifted away from contacts over the years. Still it was such a special time and am forever grateful how it all unfolded. Im going to watch the whole live show later and revel .

Thanks Rich and big up to KAttin, Whitley, pbod, hallusiphile, elusive, guidewire, sean and all the crew. Just wow

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.a52ae295ffbc2a6ffab608ab7cf3ceb9.jpg

• Like 6

Loved being a part of all three Day For Night Festivals. Got to meet some really lovely people from here at the last festival like @omnii, @xxx, @WhitleyStriber, and kattin. 

It was that Aphex show that spurred me on to finally sign up for an account here...and I had been lurking since the early 00s. 

I also remember some random dude who was wearing at Aphex Twin SAWII ball cap (!), who had no cash for the vinyl, so I bought him one for the hell of it. 

DFN seemed to be such a well run, state of the art AV festival. Was so proud to have it in Houston when I was living there. Was a shame that it had to be shut down because of the founder getting himself in trouble for harassment. Probably won’t ever get to see so many artists I love so close to home ever again.

• Like 7

46 minutes ago, Extralife said:

DFN seemed to be such a well run, state of the art AV festival. Was so proud to have it in Houston when I was living there. Was a shame that it had to be shut down because of the founder getting himself in trouble for harassment. Probably won’t ever get to see so many artists I love so close to home ever again.

I didn't go, but was also living there at that time. our company Christmas party was in downtown Houston that night, and it was pretty impressive to see that many people out and about around the north end of downtown, as Houston's downtown is normally pretty dead. it was great to see Houston get something like that, as there really isn't much in the way of an electronic music scene there compared to big cities on the coast.

and yeah, sucks they couldn't bring it back after Omar was kicked out. I knew him when I was growing up there. was friends with guys he was in bands with back in the '90s and needless to say, he's always been a bit of a douche.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, hijexx said:

Yeah all the art exhibits in the old post office were top notch, was cool to just wander around that space

they're turning that building into a bunch of shops & restaurants. looks like they used some DFN shots on their website:

https://posthtx.com/

• Like 1

Sorry I missed mentioning  xxx ... the soundest fella. I also met Richard divine at the preparty, was blown away by OPN, butthole surfers and squarepusher too. Never got to meet paparex nor went to nasa but you can’t have it all. I ended up doing a fun radio show with kattin and Whitley over the waves and it’s still going in some form so fair play.

let’s hope rich plays again in 21 

• Like 3

Thanks @phudoshin for the blast from the past memory, hard to believe that epic weekend was 4 years ago! I like the idea of re-watching to commemorate that amazing set. Shout out to all the peeps from watmm that I had the great opportunity of meeting and friending, you all know who you are. What an amazing experience, cheers to all

• Like 4

Had to chime in since this is indeed such a special memory to me as well. Im not the most travelled raver but ive been around, and i can still say with certainty that its the most incredible event ive been to. When the world was normal, i would often find myself comparing various art experiences to dfn 16. It was a blast on its own, but the people i was with made it perfect. I randomly travelled w some childhood friends and ditched them repeatedly to hang w you watmm folk lol

Sometimes when i listen to Posers, i can still see some of your faces. Right up by the left speaker stack :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BoomTssPhace said:

Had to chime in since this is indeed such a special memory to me as well. Im not the most travelled raver but ive been around, and i can still say with certainty that its the most incredible event ive been to. When the world was normal, i would often find myself comparing various art experiences to dfn 16. It was a blast on its own, but the people i was with made it perfect. I randomly travelled w some childhood friends and ditched them repeatedly to hang w you watmm folk lol

Sometimes when i listen to Posers, i can still see some of your faces. Right up by the left speaker stack ?

I forgot to mention your name in my earlier post...duh. I remember you made us all go to that 2Many DJs acid house installation, which was awesome.

• Like 1

DfN Highlights (for me):

• Meeting some of you guys and not being killed for being me :dadjoke:
  • Watching Aphex with Tycho, and getting to see and talk to him and his bandmates again
  • Meeting Steven from WARP and hanging with the other WARPLords
  • Having others suffer Houston's wacky weather with me
  • Aphex Acid in the rain!

Lowlights (for me):

• Not meeting Richard despite WARP's best efforts
  • Not hearing more of OPN's set
  • While exhilarating, walking in the cold after being soaked by rain back to my car wasn't too fun
  • Not getting a vinyl at the show (but eventually getting one later)

So overall a great experience; too bad it's likely to never happen here again.

• Like 3

On 12/18/2020 at 3:36 PM, zero said:

they're turning that building into a bunch of shops & restaurants. looks like they used some DFN shots on their website:

https://posthtx.com/

i used to work at the architecture office that is designing this development (OMA). i wasnt on the project full-time but helped them on the early schematic design proposals and for some deadlines.

We were working on it at the time of dfn 16, and so (of course) i asked if we could schedule a site visit at the time of the festival, but (of course) it wasnt in the cards. ?

Edited by markedone
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Lets not forget that one of the musical highlights was Nightmail, which totally blew me away when I recognized it - Richa often plays a track related to the location he's in   - did you know that? - so the Post Office got this one. I've just got a copy of the exclusive Printworks 2019 vinyl that has this track, as a xmas pressy to myself  so I'm very chuffed that it ties in with the 4th anniversary 

• Like 1

On 12/23/2020 at 5:03 PM, phudoshin said:

Lets not forget that one of the musical highlights was Nightmail, which totally blew me away when I recognized it - Richa often plays a track related to the location he's in   - did you know that? - so the Post Office got this one. I've just got a copy of the exclusive Printworks 2019 vinyl that has this track, as a xmas pressy to myself  so I'm very chuffed that it ties in with the 4th anniversary 

lol i never realized that connection, richard always a few steps ahead.  he seems fond of that track, has played it out a couple times iirc.  but dfn was the first

- Richard was AWESOME!

- I recall the Bjork audience crushing each other to get to get a look at her DJing in a bush.

- Squarepusher was pretty great.  

- Loved that Moon shadow installation somewhere in the post office.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

haven't logged into this site in a bit and just saw this. it really was an amazing weekend meeting all the amazing people (pbod, guidewire, extralife, boomtsphace, joyrex, xxx, omnii, kattin, phudo, anoscura + friends (thx for letting me bum the apartment 2017), and so many others to list everyone from those dfn weekends . its a shame what happened with the festival but maybe something will come up in lieu of it. the freezing rain was easily one of the best moments at any festival i've been to. also ran into venetian snares hanging with John Frusciante 2017, smokehouse rave w/ ceephax, way too many more to list.. so many good moments.  i would be lying if i didn't say that i think about those dfn weekends from time to time.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Best festival I've been to. I really loved walking between galleries in that huge, dark building. They were spaced really well. Ran into @cygnus walking between stages, and hung out with Katie Kilobyte (can't remember her handle at the moment), @Goiter Sanchez was with me throughout the AFX set. I think it was @joshuatxuk that I met across a fence? I was pretty lit towards the end there.

• Like 3