IGNORED

Richie Hawtin - Concept 1 (Bandcamp re-release)

dcom

1 hour ago, dcom said:

What do you mean by that? You can get all Bandcamp purchases in MP3, FLAC, AAC, Ogg Vorbis, ALAC, WAV or AIFF. Yeah, the price is a bit steep, but I'm always a bit surprised when people complain about the price of digital releases - the inherent zero-cost replication of digital files is not the basis of valuation, the music is.

I know. It's just that paying €25 for a (large, admittedly) bunch of mp3 files is ... not something that's in my system yet. However:

1 hour ago, dcom said:

I haven't been that impressed with this series, I will buy it and give it a proper listen, maybe I'll even start to like it. You don't have to, it's not mandatory.

This isn't true for me at all. I love the CD version to death and just skimming the Bandcamp previews made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

So of course I'm going to pull the trigger in the end. Just let an old man get used to the idea of having to move with the times, ok?

My favourite is nineteenth, tho what i don't appreciate at all is the constant panoraming of the audio. Closer/further is tolerant, but the hard left-to-the-right-and-back movement makes it unlistenable in headphones. So unnecessary for a minimal techno groove

https://richiehawtin.bandcamp.com/track/richie-hawtin-concept-1-96-10-19-00

Caved in, of course. Been listening to it on and off this weekend.

Made me appreciate how good the CD version is: they really picked the weirdest, most abstract tracks for that.

The additional material in this collection is much dancier. Nothing wrong with that, of course, and they're really good dancey tracks, too, but the attraction of this music has always been its cold futurism for me. Even Consumed, while good, is overly warm and fuzzy compared to the good Concept bits.

? money well spent, though.

I, too, have to admit that after a couple of listens the material seems much better from what I remembered. It's rather pleasant and unintrusive accompaniment for writing code.

• 6 months later...
11 hours ago, nikisoko said:

this popped up in my discogs activity feeds. dont know the deets at all

CD/vinyl compilation without all of the tracks from the (separate) vinyl releases. The digital has them all + a bonus track not available anywhere else.

Edited by dcom
  • Like 1

Yeah the digital cost made me cough a bit, especially considering this would have cost him nothing to set up.

It might have been in a different thread, but I've mentioned that i've got the alternative versions CD release of this and not the originals.  

So, i'm still on the fence with this.  Great music though.

2 hours ago, Soloman Tump said:

So, i'm still on the fence with this.  Great music though.

I'd been procrastinating for years on picking up the vinyl series one-by-one, which would've cost me at least 100-150 € and considerable amount of grind, so 25 € for the whole set in digital was a no-brainer. It's definitely not my favourite Hawtin material, but easily worth the asking price. A lot of people spend that amount on daily/weekly basis on craft beer pints or fancier drinks - or a couple of packs of cigarettes. The music's available in perpetuity after you buy it, but having lived hand to mouth as a student I know that 25 € can be a lot of money in many situations.

Edited by dcom

2 hours ago, dcom said:

I'd been procrastinating for years on picking up the vinyl series one-by-one, which would've cost me at least 100-150 € and considerable amount of grind, so 25 € for the whole set in digital was a no-brainer. It's definitely not my favourite Hawtin material, but easily worth the asking price. A lot of people spend that amount on daily/weekly basis on craft beer pints or fancier drinks - or a couple of packs of cigarettes. The music's available in perpetuity after you buy it, but having lived hand to mouth as a student I know that 25 € can be a lot of money in many situations.

I would add that the price is set for the whole world, and in a lot of countries that's far from an equivalent of coffee/cigarettes like it's usually presented in discussions.

The cost of producing a track is suped muddy subject, one notable standard is what streaming services pay per 1 listen -- you don't own the stuff offline, but that's the most common & convenient way of consuming digital releases currently -- and this pay is, like, less than a cent, making it three hundred plays for a dollar reward. Thus, when selling tracks 2 euro per unit like Hawtin does here (when the established practice is around 1 euro), you punish fans for finding a way to reward you more directly.

Not saying it isn't worth it, yet it's perfectly normal to stop at such prices.

1 hour ago, Amen Lare said:

Not saying it isn't worth it, yet it's perfectly normal to stop at such prices.

Sure, but it's not a sucker price either, when directly compared to the price of the whole series in second-hand (or new) vinyl or a hypothetical triple CD compilation. Yes, we can discuss the merits of liner notes, physical product properties etc. ad nauseam, but to me - a life-long vinyl addict in remission - it's a non-issue. 25 € is the price of two new vinyl releases with an average of 2-5 tracks per record. I also understand that it's a rare someone who has a monthly allowance like mine for music, but my argument stands: I'm not trying to convince a anyone to buy the release or anything else for that matter; when compared to other options of getting that particular music, it's convenient and not that expensive (I'm not taking zero cost piracy into account on purpose).

YMWV.

Edited by dcom