IGNORED

Burial - Chemz

fumi

1 hour ago, thumbass said:

It's all over the place but i fucking love it

It's a bit much the first time around and won't become one of my favorite tracks of his anytime soon. But yeah, listening to it again I can't deny that I like it. :catfallen:

• Thanks 1

@thumbass Could be a point, don't know about RYMs popularity or number of members, but Plaid's Polymer (2019) has double the ratings compared to Scintili (2011). You have to go back to Ultravistor (2004) to find more ratings than Be up a Hello (2020).  

1 hour ago, scumtron said:

@thumbass Could be a point, don't know about RYMs popularity or number of members, but Plaid's Polymer (2019) has double the ratings compared to Scintili (2011). You have to go back to Ultravistor (2004) to find more ratings than Be up a Hello (2020).  

Same, I don't really know how popular RYM is but I know that most of the people listen to music don't even know about it's existence. I could be wrong but I thought that maybe that could be a reason taking in the fact that he still has a lot of listeners on streaming services.

Anyway, preordered this on Bandcamp, can't wait to hear Dolphinz.

Edited by thumbass
RYm = RYM

10 minutes ago, NewSchoolScience said:

Nice samples from The Advent's track 'Audio Illusion' in this too.  Elements of Life, what an album that was.

There's a continuation of Elements Of Life on Cultivated Electronics, tracks from the same era.

• Like 2

I don't mind a 12" with material like this on, it was his ambient 10"s that baffled me. Awkward format, totally lacking in any immersion because of the need to flip sides after six minutes and the whole thing's done before you've properly got into it. The tracks make total sense in the Tunes compilation, but as singles they were utterly baffling.

I do have a fondness for whatever he does because he's never really upped his production game, there's always an amateur feel to everything he releases. He always gives off the "guy making a few fun tunes in his bedroom for himself" vibe which I kind of dig. I like this tune, nice atmosphere, a bunch of sounds I enjoy mixed together in a somewhat unconventional way. He still manages to conjure images of walking through a city at night in a way that no other artist does.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, purlieu said:

I do have a fondness for whatever he does because he's never really upped his production game, there's always an amateur feel to everything he releases. He always gives off the "guy making a few fun tunes in his bedroom for himself" vibe which I kind of dig. I like this tune, nice atmosphere, a bunch of sounds I enjoy mixed together in a somewhat unconventional way. He still manages to conjure images of walking through a city at night in a way that no other artist does.

This is pretty spot on, I agree. Young Death in particular nailed those city night vibes for me. 

Digging this new track alot.

Edited by Friendly Stranger

yeah - love a lofi aesthetic. but this actually just sounds terrible. it hurts my ears.  

certainly overshadows whatever potential good musical ideas are actually in here. 

just sounds lazy. i feel like he put this track together yesterday to meet the burial xmas expectations. 

Edited by species8472
  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

5 hours ago, Soloman Tump said:

This sounds like a pirate radio mix, recorded in 1992.

I guess that is the point.  If he wants to keep on releasing 12" rather than albums then that is fine by me.

I thought this too, not that specifically but how much this sounds like a 12+ minute excerpt of DJ mix that didn't finish downloading.

Zomby-esque percussion around 6:30, I like the second half of this more. I like it but it's a weird track.

8 minutes ago, beerwolf said:

Coolio ?

Thread is muted until I hear the track a few times as I’m sure the Burial Buzzkill Squad are in full effect.

i’m pretty sure Burial is captain of that squad

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Facepalm 1
  • Burger 1

I can't be the only one who mentally associates Burial, Christmas, and a classic watmm post from years back...I'm sure it was @jules who described putting the household to bed, retreating to the study to sit by the fire, sip scotch, and relax with the latest Burial 3 track ep crackling in the background...at least that's how I remember it. I could be completely wrong here and this is a false memory I implanted.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, zero said:

I can't be the only one who mentally associates Burial, Christmas, and a classic watmm post from years back...I'm sure it was @jules who described putting the household to bed, retreating to the study to sit by the fire, sip scotch, and relax with the latest Burial 3 track ep crackling in the background...at least that's how I remember it. I could be completely wrong here and this is a false memory I implanted.

Come Down to Us is a Christmas night tradition for me now. I haven’t checked this new track out yet.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, endera3rd said:

Here we are, up here, at night.

There is just something so nostalgic about that main twinkly melody. It just perfectly captures the spirit of the season as a kid or something. 

• Like 2

I totally agree.

It’s extremely controversial I suppose, among the knobs that love to thumbs-up or down stuff here, that Come Down To Us is my favorite burial track. And the ep that it’s on is very special. It’s like he touched the monolith with that one.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, zero said:

It was definitely @jules He created a WATMM tradition that Burial always seems to honour.

I think this year, the track is a bit lame. I was hoping for something more like Young Death/Nightmarket or Beachfires.

Maybe he just chucked this up because he knew he had the WATMM deadline looming. Lol.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2