IGNORED

Do you listen to music more on bandcamp, soundcloud, or something else?

Brisbot

oh, i'll buy direct from labels if their web shop is good. also bleep. i've never listened to music on my phone. ipod ftw. 

i've hunted on line for things out of print/not available digitally etc. 

• Like 1

i spent a lot of money on bandcamp this year, a mix of vinyl and digital stuff. also do mail order from record shops either via their sites or discogs. forced exposure sometimes. i try to avoid bleep these days unless its something i really cant get directly from the US. 

i miss crate digging ?

• Like 2

I go to soundcloud for DJ mixes and weird stuff I have followed in the past.

Bandcamp recently thanks to BC fridays so I can support artists and buy vinyl.

Youtube sometimes for discovering stuff through recommendations.

I usually listen to all the links people send me and I find in chats or something like that.

There's also web radio like Soma.FM, FIP (France), ERT Kosmos (Greece) that is nice to put on to have some random stuff.

• Like 1

I spent thousands of pounds on music in my life. Something really neat about the latest album being available at the press of a button for almost peanuts. Folks can argue about Spotify as much as they like but I paid my dues many times over. I still sometimes pinch myself at what a nifty brilliant tool Spotify is. Not the whole, but a large chunk of the music universe at the tip of my fingers for a tenner a month. Amazing. Anyone who complains about Spotify must be just young and never forked out minor fortunes for double cds, plus a bus fare, plus the risk that (because you have never heard the god damn thing) it might be a total waste of time and money. And also to be able to curate your own playlists blending individual tracks from different genres into your own unique sonic story. Spotify is fucking ace. But yeah I'd be happy to pay a little more, or perhaps some method of giving something extra towards younger or up and coming artists. 

Edited by beerwolf
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/24/2020 at 7:47 AM, beerwolf said:

I spent thousands of pounds on music in my life. Something really neat about the latest album being available at the press of a button for almost peanuts. Folks can argue about Spotify as much as they like but I paid my dues many times over. I still sometimes pinch myself at what a nifty brilliant tool Spotify is. Not the whole, but a large chunk of the music universe at the tip of my fingers for a tenner a month. Amazing. Anyone who complains about Spotify must be just young and never forked out minor fortunes for double cds, plus a bus fare, plus the risk that (because you have never heard the god damn thing) it might be a total waste of time and money. And also to be able to curate your own playlists blending individual tracks from different genres into your own unique sonic story. Spotify is fucking ace. But yeah I'd be happy to pay a little more, or perhaps some method of giving something extra towards younger or up and coming artists. 

I agree with you wholeheartedly. I too have spent thousands of dollars as a teen and young adult, so definitely feel like i’ve payed my dues. I stopped buying CDs in 2005 and haven’t looked back. Also,  I’m neurodivergent af, so something abt just being able to press a button and have music to listen to in bed, while cooking, showering and going for long walks at night is second to none. Playlisting is the second big draw, as I believe having certain tracks play after the other really creates some sort of magic, changing the environment around oneself. Its become a tradition now to review my year and tell the story of the subsequent months as a playlist - really a therapeutic activity. I do think abt buying vinyls in the future when i can afford it and have the space, but for now Spotify takes the cake :music:

• 3 weeks later...

I try to buy stuff I really like off Bandcamp but it seems like a losing battle. Even records that get a lot of good reviews on forums like this often only have 20 or fewer buyers. Not enough money to do anything with and certainly not enough to live on. I don't like what streaming is doing to music but it seems unstoppable.

• 4 weeks later...

I wanted to warn everyone that bundcamp has installed a plugin well it crushes files by at least 3 or 4 db the original volume ancje yiutube and all social networks for more than a year. the result is that for those who listen to the sound it is flat, confusing and devoid of dynamics and I apologize. for those who buy there will be no problems of this type. the downloaded file will arrive intact and exciting. Thanks to all for your attention

LORY D

1. Local files: Winamp, VLC, or flash drive into car & home stereo receiver.

2. Bandcamp

3. SoundCloud

4. Pandora

5. Vinyl/CD

6. Youtube

7. Cassette (Don't have a working player right now)

I try to listen to local files as much as possible when I'm at home, but lately I have been just streaming albums from Bandcamp out of laziness. I use SoundCloud to share and listen to private tracks and WIPs a lot, and I occasionally listen to stuff in my feed. With Pandora, I use it mainly because my cousin added me to a family plan with no ads; it functions the most like radio for me, like for when I want to "throw on Skinny Puppy" for my wife. Not a fan of the streaming royalty paradigm though so I try to minimize usage. In my car I have a 32GB flash drive with mp3s, and a few CDs. 

I have small(ish) cassette and vinyl collections as well....I was doing vinyl/cassette nights with a small group of friends a few years back, I miss that.

I will never use Spotify

On 12/24/2020 at 7:47 AM, beerwolf said:

Anyone who complains about Spotify must be just young and never forked out minor fortunes for double cds, plus a bus fare, plus the risk that (because you have never heard the god damn thing) it might be a total waste of time and money. 

Also, false

Edited by eczem
  • Like 1