IGNORED

What albums are you listening to thirty years ago this month (December 1990)?

fumi

13 years old, and had a short but intense gangsta-rap period.

NWA, Public Enemy, 2 Live Crew. Didn't have a lot of money, so it was a lot of sharing and copying cds from friends on to cassettes. Still remember my first CD bought, Straight Outta Compton. At the same time I guess I listened to what was on the radio. MC Hammer, Michael Jackson, Roxette, Tone Loc, Milli Vanilli and so on.

This was pre-Prodigy, so I didn´t listen much to electronic music. Some dance-pop like C+C Music Factory and Snap. Of the more credible stuff, some JM Jarre, and a band I remember really blew me away; The KLF.

• Like 2

great idea for a thread. I really had to dive deep into the memory vaults to try and remember some of this.

as mentioned earlier, 1991 was really the year that changed it all music-wise for me. something happened in the cosmos late that year that resulted in some earth shattering albums being released, resulting in a massive change to the direction of popular music. crazy to look back and see that GnR, RHCP, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Metallica, all had those landmark albums released within a few months of each other at the later part of '91. 

but late 1990 was still new jack swing territory when it came to popular stuff on the radio. the Simpsons were massively popular I remember, Fresh Prince of Bel-Air was the cool new show, and TMNT were everywhere.

and of course, this guy was the king of it all:

spacer.png

Ice Ice Baby was THE song of 1990. everybody knew all the words.

other than that, I can remember listening to Paula Abdul, Janet Jackson, Technotronic - Pump up the Jam, Kid n' Play, U Can't touch this, and also Depeche Mode - Violator had a bunch of hits that were being played around this time.

• Like 1

Around this time 30 years ago? I was on leave from bootcamp. I remember really being into Jane's Addiction 'Ritual de lo Habitual' album. Public Enemy 'Fear of a Black Planet'. Happy Mondays, Charlotan's UK, Soul II Soul. That's what's jumping out right now.

• Like 2

Flood (They Might Be Giants album) - Wikipedia

This album started me on a TMBG journey that I'm still on now
And my kids love the TMBG kids stuff

PinkAlbum.png

Their first album is from 86 but was re-released in the UK in 1990.

Depeche Mode - Violator.png

Depeche Mode - Violator

The Raw and the Cooked.jpg

Club classics vol. one.jpg

The B-52's - Cosmic Thing.jpg

Cosmic Thing - B52s - Love Shack etc

Adamski Doctor Adamski's Musical Pharmacy album cover.jpg

They pushed Adamski in the wrong direction but some of this was good

Hmpillsnthrills.jpg

Happy Mondays of course

The Cure Mixed Up.jpg

The Cure - Mixed Up - I had a mate who was well into the Cure, I ended up listening to this a fair bit

File:Guru Josh Infinity Album Cover.jpg

Guru Josh, lol. Actually I still listen to Whose Law (Is It Anyway) (Speedball Mix) for nostagia

Ninetyalbumcover.png

I had this but it never seemed quite as good as it was supposed to be. I preferred Guru Josh and Adamski

Warehouse Raves 2 album cover

Friends of my older siblings were into the rave scene, I remember this compilation. Really remember this track

Deep Heat 5 [VINYL]: Amazon.co.uk: Music

And this one

KLFcover-chillout.jpg

KLF - Chill Out
Also from older siblings. Still a really good album

Good list here if you need to jog your memory: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_UK_top-ten_albums_in_1990

Edited by zazen
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In 1990 I came across this really impressive Scottish girl with long curly hair, lots of eye liner and black flowing robes who wore Cure t-shirts. She was intriguing enough to make me check out Disintegration. Didn’t think much of it at first because, hey, not enough loud guitars, but it grew on me.

The other memorable moment was listening in on a friend’s Walkman and he had Jane’s Addiction’s “Of Course” on. I didn’t know rock music could be that weird.

1990 was the year I said goodbye to hair metal and Metallica and got into “alternative music”.

I don’t listen to the Cure much anymore, though, and Jane’s only when it’s warm outside and my brain is starting to melt.

• Like 1

I was still too young to be aware of music my parents didn't listen to or that wasn't on the radio.

Radio: "Dreamweaver", "Simply Irresistible", "Wicked Game", "Kokomo", "Bring Me a Higher Love", "You Can't Always Get What You What"

From Mom & Dad's collection: U2's The Joshua Tree, Take Six, Leo Kottke, Bonnie Raitt, Lyle Lovett (Dad's favorite chili-cooking soundtrack), Mary Chapin Carpenter (they played Late Night Grande Hotel so much I hid their CD because I was going insane), Windham Hill compilations, Tom Petty, Annie Lennox, and the Mannheim Steamroller Christmas album this time of year.

Steppenwolf, George Thorogood, Neil Young, and Jethro Tull when Mom wasn't around. A bunch of other dad rock like Steely Dan that I never developed a taste for.

+1 for Mom's favorite weekend house cleaning album (that snare on "She Drives Me Crazy" still fucking slaps):

38 minutes ago, zazen said:

The Raw and the Cooked.jpg

Edited by sweepstakes
  • Like 1

This is from Jan 1991 but too serendipitous to not post here.

In Jan 1991, BBC Radio 1 organised some big concerts at Wembley Arena, called it 'Great British Music Weekend'.

808 State had a slot, with MC Tunes. I recorded this from the radio and had it on a cassette, used to listen to it a lot.

Recently found exactly the same broadcast on yotube, I remember every second of this.

It starts with a remix of Cubik which is a BANGER

This was the line up - Carter USM were also there, but I hadn't discovered them yet

img_0261.jpg?w=750

3 hours ago, scumtron said:

@zero How old are you? 91 was probably the most defining year for me as well.

born in '79.

music from 91/92 made a huge impact upon me. Pearl Jam, Nirvana...those guys were gods to just about every 13 year old back then... and I remember being blown away when I saw 2 kids around my age playing guitar together in early '92. seeing them playing enter sandman riffs, under the bridge, stuff like that, which was getting massive radio/MTV airplay at the time, led me (and tons of other kids) into wanting to learn guitar.

• Like 2

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png
spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png
spacer.png

... all of those were on tape except that faith no more album and the Jane’s Addiction album (those were 2 of my first CDs) ...

I was really into “cassingles“ back then. I had so many. 
spacer.png

Also, big yes to public enemy, mc hammer, the b52s and weird al (so much weird al). 

Edited by J3FF3R00
  • Like 1