IGNORED

th red a

toaoaoad

What happened to the days when individual trax from the newest album got whole threads dedicated to them? Discussion of SIGN and PLUS seems to have already dried up around here, yet the discovery is ongoing, at least for me. 

th red a became an unlikely favourite. It's pretty minimalistic, with only two "instruments" really active. But the amount of fine detail and variation is amazing. Sometimes like blasts of electricity, sometimes like cellos, these chords whoosh in like a gust of wind and then sizzle away, and then it's anchored by that gurgling bass/hissing thing.

The sound design on this is just so satisfying.

• Like 4

I never did such a thread, my hypothesis is after huge elseq/NTS uploads the experience of a single track subjectively diminished, sort of accelerated inflation happened.

The track is beautiful, was my second favourite from the very start (first being M4 Lema), mainly for exquisite sprawling bass. The synth lines felt nice but a bit weary because of its enclosed tightness.

After some time and thanks to PLUS (and bonuses, too) broadening the acoustic context and soothing expectations, i am feeling slightly warmer towards SIGN and this track definitely shines the brightest. It's actually cool that the most weary track becomes the most wear-resistant of all.

I believe "th red a" hints at "thread" just like that, it really feels as a thread

• Like 1

Yeah this one seems to be a bit of a marmite track.

A lot of people I talk to say that one drags for them, that they find themselves checking out how long is left etc.

For me it flies by, I never realise how long it actually is. Love it.

• Like 2

thanks for bringing this to attention. i haven't listened to SIGN/PLUS for weeks, i needed the break (as always) but because of this thread(a) i've listened to the track individually just now and found a new appreciation for it

• Like 2

i love this track, it always gives me the mental image of some futuristic cityscape shimmering in the sun. i get the same vibe from some of their other tracks that sound really bright like Nil and Fold4, Wrap5.

it also reminds me a lot of eastre, since they're both composed of repetitive tones and bassy background noises with similar sound design (despite eastre having a totally different mood, so much darker)

• Like 1

the track is brilliant as anything else awtekr but i find something else very interesting: upper bass / lower mid frequencies are pushed to their limits, especially the upper bass compressed bursts, so much that the track is like continuously on the edge to explode! it's also a bit irritating to me ? ...interesting but irritating! anybody else would filter it but it's obviously intentional like that bc the 'melody' is 'alone' and filted would sound weak and it'd need an additional bass line or somethin'... to sound remotely as edgy 

Edited by xox
  • Farnsworth 1