IGNORED

Cult48 - 1.1 (self-released)

dcom

24 minutes ago, Extralife said:

So...is this legit?

Someone should clear this up ... if there is plagiarism involved it's pretty sickening.

Why I believe it plausible that Cult48 is Boards of Canada. Just for fun !!
(sorry for my english, I'm using google translate)

We have the link between numbers and religion / sect / cult.
The type of sounds and constructions (rhythm, sound effects, etc.)
In interviews, BOC have already claimed to have several tracks worked.
Several similarities between BOC and Cult48 videos
On an image from their facebook page, Cult48 have two records (coming soon) called DAT extractions 91/96 and DAT extractions 97/01. So that suggests that Cult48 has been around for a long time. In addition, BOC recorded on tapes.
The use of numbers written in letters: Cult forty eight and BOC: Seven forty seven / sixtyten
In a discussion forum (Twoism), a user (Phade Rhombus) of Cul48, if he is one, talks about Cult48 while mentioning WE, so it's at least a duo.
Phade Rhombus: Triangles and Rhombuses - Music Has the Right To Children.

10 hours ago, Extralife said:

Sounds more like Brainwaltzera.

Not for me. Brainwaltzera have more speed beats like drum 'n bass. Cult48 don't have rythme like FXmas mod DAISY CHAIN, maramu or bUnker. But every possibily is there. ? (again, sorry for my english)

I do not care who Cult 48 is, I don't believe the hype ... it sounds a little shallow to me, it's not bad, it just does not do it for me.

Instead these do deserve more love IMHO:
https://lovekrafty.bandcamp.com
https://citiesofearth.bandcamp.com

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ARPA said:

I do not care who Cult 48 is, I don't believe the hype ... it sounds a little shallow to me, it's not bad, it just does not do it for me.

I really don't think it's appropriate to render an opinion on someone's work, and then say "but these deserve more attention (as much as I like lovekrafty).

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Joyrex said:

I really don't think it's appropriate to render an opinion on someone's work, and then say "but these deserve more attention (as much as I like lovekrafty).

Maybe the exact phrasing is arguable (what's with deserving love nonsense), but that's really helpful to understand where the disappreciation comes from, instead of guessing whether the guy gets it stylistically or simply not. Usually it requires a follow-up elaboration that often doesn't follow.

This transforms a "negative" opinion into a "positive" substantial one

1 minute ago, Amen Lare said:

Maybe the exact phrasing is arguable (what's with deserving love nonsense), but that's really helpful to understand where the disappreciation comes from, instead of guessing whether the guy gets it stylistically or simply not. Usually it requires a follow-up elaboration that often doesn't follow.

This transforms a "negative" opinion into a "positive" substantial one

My point (which I really in retrospect didn't make very clear) was to say instead of saying "this is better", perhaps provide more constructive criticism as to why you didn't find the OP's submission agreeable.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Joyrex said:

My point (which I really in retrospect didn't make very clear) was to say instead of saying "this is better", perhaps provide more constructive criticism as to why you didn't find the OP's submission agreeable.

As an aside, not all my (new) release submissions are endorsements or recommendations, they may be only for information purposes. If I'm recommending something, more often than not I'm explicit about it. I'm also not investing an iota of myself on the submissions, whether someone likes a release or not isn't about or reflecting on me (unless committing an ad hominem, in which case I'll rhetorically eviscerate the perpetrator).

Bicker away to your heart's content.

Edited by dcom
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, ARPA said:

For my part, I like the atmosphere and the sounds of Cult48. Maybe it's because I'm getting old.?
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll listen to this.

• Like 1

I really dislike Cult 48 for the same reasons Electrobleep mentioned. If it just had the same vibe, I would be fine with it. But all these clones who shamelessly tries to copy "the whole package" like Cult 48, Clocolan or early Tycho really rubs me the wrong way. Track titles, imagery, the "mystique". I guess you can get some attention doing this stuff, but is the goal to sound like a really anemic copy of your idols?

For those who would like music with BOC-vibes/atmospheres but with som originality I would recommend Percival Pembroke- "A Course In The Theory Of Drones", Boreal Network- "Itasca Road Trip", or 1991.  

• Like 3

7 hours ago, scumtron said:

For those who would like music with BOC-vibes/atmospheres but with som originality I would recommend Percival Pembroke- "A Course In The Theory Of Drones", Boreal Network- "Itasca Road Trip", or 1991.  

hey thanks man, I'd never heard of Boreal Network. that album sounds great.

• Like 1

On 1/1/2021 at 10:07 AM, dcom said:

There's a counter-claim on Twoism that I'm inclined to trust rather than the now-deleted thread here on WATMM.

Anyone could claim to be a part of Cult 48 though. This person also made this post the same day they joined Twoism so i give it 0 credibility on that alone.

Also what this person writes on Twoism is: "The person making the allegations was never a member of Cult48." which does not contradict the alleged claims against the group.

The person who claimed they had their music released as Cult 48 was indeed NOT part of it and was not even informed. Seems like that was the problem.

Edited by omnii
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, omnii said:

Anyone could claim to be a part of Cult 48 though. This person also made this post the same day they joined Twoism so i give it 0 credibility on that alone.

Also what this person writes on Twoism is: "The person making the allegations was never a member of Cult48." which does not contradict the alleged claims against the group.

The person who claimed they had their music released as Cult 48 was indeed NOT part of it and was not even informed. Seems like that was the problem.

ACK

just got around to giving 1.1 a proper listen thru and say what you want about the faux boc-ness, its a pretty solid album!

cant help but agree that there is a strong boc-ness at large here but ya kno, we probably wont see a real boc album again for another decade so its nice to get the fix.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

got send two promotional cd's with unreleased (?) material

both with a single 60 minutes mix.

uvb-76 (on spine) 283 miles (inside) bull image on front

mdzxb (on spine) 224 miles (inside) goat image on front

mlon

On 1/7/2021 at 3:38 PM, omnii said:

Maybe Cult48 is the new GESCOM

• Facepalm 1

10 hours ago, mlon said:

got send two promotional cd's with unreleased (?) material

both with a single 60 minutes mix.

uvb-76 (on spine) 283 miles (inside) bull image on front

mdzxb (on spine) 224 miles (inside) goat image on front

mlon

angry d&d GIF by Hyper RPG