IGNORED

Magnox

Untitled

Hi,

So, at the age of 48 I decided to start making some tunes.....

Years ago I dabbled about with Reason but didn't really do anything exciting with it. 

Last year I bough a new laptop and a Live10 suite and started up learning the basics through youtube tutorials etc (learning shit is harder when you're older!)

I've done a couple of tracks that I'm kinda happy with, though I think there's something missing?

Thanks for looking/listening.

• Like 2

the percussion is quite dry in Ice, so that could be something to look at. there's also room for a melody, though this would take the track in a different direction.

they're both pretty sound structurally and reasonably full, so maybe what you perceive as being missing is just down to mixing/mastering.

Edited by QQQ
  • Like 1

Cool, thanks for taking the time to listen.

I hear what you're saying about melody, but I was trying to get a cold, dry kind of sound (hence the percussion sound).

I still have a LOT to learn esp mixing and mastering.

Thanks for your feed back

liked the vibe you were starting with on Dec 2 there.

as far as 'missing' that felt the same to me....my first suggestion would be to maybe add in to some top end percussion, ride cymbals and the like, as well as maybe even some toms or the like. this obviously being more 'IDM' type stuff, obviously do whatever works for you, but the sound overall could use with a little more tones... and that leads me to say that i think what's most missing from these two are some stronger basslines and some sort of mid-range melodic idea/complement. sort of what a piano or guitar would generally occupy, but ya know, more IDM nerdy than that of course :cat:  so some weird sounding keyboard chordal thing maybe?

just throwing out ideas after first quick impressions, there's no rules in music of course so whatever you think works go with of course, we're not on WATMM because we're wanting paint by the numbers stuff ? hope to hear more you do down the road, keep experimenting :music:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I've finished another track.

Quite pleased with this one. Made using pseudo generative techniques (thanks to watching Ned Rush videos on Youtube)

Hope you like it.

Edited by Untitled

I quite like them as minimal as they are. I like to add texture in my own tunes by adding rattles and rhythmic noises in the background, using a stereo imager to almost completely remove the middle so they dont cut through the mix atall.

11 minutes ago, pcock said:

I quite like them as minimal as they are. I like to add texture in my own tunes by adding rattles and rhythmic noises in the background, using a stereo imager to almost completely remove the middle so they dont cut through the mix atall.

Thanks ?

Yeah, I'm still learning, but having loads of fun while I'm at it.

Have you got a link to your tracks, please?

Edited by Untitled
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hi,

So, still finding my way around Ableton. Seems to be no end to new toys to try out in M4L. 

I've uploaded a couple of new tracks over the last week. I'd be interested to see what you think. Criticism is most welcome.

Thanks

Edited by Untitled
Links added
  • Like 1

Congrats on starting to make tunes! Some lovely moments there - I like "Ice" ?

I think I would mix some of the percussive elements a bit lower, they sound a tad loud in some of your tracks like "Ayn".  That is what you might be going for deliberately (to highlight the beats) though. For my taste, I would've have loved them to be a bit lower in the mix.

• Like 1

Hi,

Thank for the feedback.

I totally agree, listened to Ayn in the car last night, the kicks were overpowering everything else. Sounded great at home though.

I think I need to watch some mixing and mastering tutorials.....

Uploaded a new version of Ayn, following the above feedback, thanks ?

Turned the percussion down, turned everything else up, and changed a few bits. Sounds better to my old ear holes.

Edited by Untitled

1 hour ago, eassae said:

Nice work. I love the sub under the kick. Tons of presence and a nice contrast to how delicate everything else is.

Thanks, appreciated!

As said above I'm still learning, and I feel I'm starting to get there slowly.

In regards to the kick, I've starting making my own drum sounds instead of using samples. Sounds loads better to me.

Thanks again x

Hi,

Thanks!

Mostly using M4L probability and randomising midi devices, often controlled by LFOs etc.

My aim was to create non repetitive music without it sounding random, I'm kinda happy where this direction is taking me, seems there's lots to explore, esp now Live 11 has now got probability functions built in.

• Thanks 1

Yea I'm still getting a handle on 11, but I'm already finding that it's much nicer to adjust direct probability values rather than working through devices.  I think if I ever buckle down and attempt to create a Max for Live device, it would be a version of Beat Repeat that works for MIDI instead of audio.  

• Like 1

Thanks ?

No samples, all done with Operator in Live 10, mostly my own sounds, but one preset that I messed about with.

Operator has become my favourite synth, I use it more than anything else. Just finishing an ambient track using only Operator. Its ended up being quite scary!

Edit: One of the pads was done with Wavetable.

Edited by Untitled

Hi, me again......

I've uploaded a couple of tracks to my SC that I've been doing over the last few days.

Both are done using nothing but Operator.

Opr. is another attempt at non repetitive IDM using probabilities etc

Ord. is an attempt to make an uneasy sounding ambient track. Might be a bit cheesy, but I learnt a fuck-ton about sound design making both of them.

As always, criticism is welcome, still lots to learn.

Thanks for listening. Expect a few more as I have the next nine days off work.......

• Like 3

On 3/4/2021 at 4:28 AM, Untitled said:

Both are done using nothing but Operator.

pretty cool, Operator is powerful. rather liked Opr. out of the two, could definitely see that getting a little more work and finalized. definitely feel like the constituent parts need a little space between them, a touch of separation/reverb/something, feel a bit raw as it is (tho of course raw =/= bad!)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, QQQ said:

ayn v2 is lovely, though if i'm not a fan of the stretches and glitches from 4:30 onward. i'd rather the track ended before there.

Funnily enough I was looking at Ayn again today, and came to the same conclusion. I guess I got a bit carried away with the effects. Expect version three at some point soon.

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.