IGNORED

Gescom - AMKS_1

hello spiral

53 minutes ago, user303 said:

Awesome mix ‼️

I couldn't agree more! Came at the right time, too. I thoroughly enjoyed the entire broadcast.

• Like 1

Can anyone recommend some great albums/tracks that would be similar to this scratch-tastic marathon? 
I know turntabalism is a pretty immense genre to explore, but this seems way more intense than most of what I’ve stumbled upon before 

22 hours ago, fizzkinz said:

Can anyone recommend some great albums/tracks that would be similar to this scratch-tastic marathon? 
I know turntabalism is a pretty immense genre to explore, but this seems way more intense than most of what I’ve stumbled upon before 

I don't think it belongs to turntablism genre per se, turntablism is sort of ready-made music based on creative playing of records in real-time, which is why it's also pretty slow compared to this.

The robotically relentless (probably fully programmed) scratching on this works more as a mask to hide a stripped down collection of sculpted breakbeat loops, each roughly a minute long with no development. I guess there could be a market of somewhat tasteful breakbeat sample libraries, but since i have no experience with that to me this only recalls the Bumps project from Tortoise percussionists.

Here's a playlist if you haven't heard:

• Burger 1

I think I'll have to file this as an interesting experiment rather than anything I'll actually come back to.

If they'd built it up a bit more and there was more variety I could see it - some iss:sa style pads on top would really help for a start. 1hr of just mangled breaks and software scratching gets a bit tedious.

• Like 1

On 1/6/2021 at 6:44 PM, fizzkinz said:

https://www.discogs.com/DJ-Q-Bert-Wave-Twisters-Episode-7-Million-Sonic-Wars-Within-The-Protons/master/78565

there is an entire movie to go along with this album. 

there is a whole series of return of the dj albums -

https://www.discogs.com/label/883388-Return-Of-The-DJ

also worth watching are any of the DMC world championship finals, especially from the mid to late 90s. this one is a classic

• Like 4

I ended up having to encode the WAV to MP3 to have it sound decent on my old phone MP3 player, otherwise it sounded like literal garbage in WAV format (probably due to the age of my device)

Anyway, I feel like this harkens back to that Ae Residence Advisor mix from summer 2019 as a collection of 80s hip hop. Hell, it could even be the same samples but processed and remixed. But overall it's a fun, stress-free listen for me. Nothing really complex to mentally dissect, no heavy/dreary chords. Just a big caffeine-laden smoothie blended from old samples.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, nikisoko said:

one more, this album is great and super 'musical' on top of great turntablism

https://www.discogs.com/Kid-Koala-Carpal-Tunnel-Syndrome/master/14189

Damn, blast from the past this one, I bought it when it came out. Had the edition with the little comic n shit<3

19 hours ago, toaoaoad said:

FWIW Sean stated in AAA that this wasn't them tho ^ 

but that it's "another gescom related person" ?

That’d mean there’s a person out there, that’s iiber talented and it’s neither samnyt nor bubfyt

:trap:

5 hours ago, mcbpete said:

This could be the equivalent B side

Nonsense. incomplete without wild record scratching (don’t care if the scratching is programmed as some have said). Honestly it’s not the drums underneath that I care about at all. 

I had seen most of these turntable competition vids already, and they don’t really fit what it is about this set that I like. I have also seen wavetwisters before, but as Im digging into to some of the other Qbert stuff I guess it does give me the feels I’m looking for. 
still, something about this gescom one just really does it for me.