IGNORED

Song of the Year 2020

T3551ER

4 hours ago, brian trageskin said:

just realized this is a song thread as in human voice singing. i didn't post songs, i see our mexican friend did the same mistake. language barrier innit

here's some songs 

Nah, songs don't need words. .. though this does bring up a philosophical question about what constitutes a "track" versus a "song." I think Aphex actually addressed this at some point making some sort of distinction between songs having a distinct structured format whereas track are a bit more meandering. I don't know. I could have just made that shit up. 

Anyway, carry on. Some of these seem like they are dancing precipitously close to the edge of satire but, since this is the WATMM SOTY playlist, I'm keeping 'em on because, damn, isn't that such a WATMM thing to do? Also, that clowncore track is trif. 

6 minutes ago, T3551ER said:

Nah, songs don't need words. .. though this does bring up a philosophical question about what constitutes a "track" versus a "song." I think Aphex actually addressed this at some point making some sort of distinction between songs having a distinct structured format whereas track are a bit more meandering. I don't know. I could have just made that shit up. 

Anyway, carry on. Some of these seem like they are dancing precipitously close to the edge of satire but, since this is the WATMM SOTY playlist, I'm keeping 'em on because, damn, isn't that such a WATMM thing to do? Also, that clowncore track is trif. 

thanks for clearing that up 

btw i wasn't shitposting with my selection, i genuinely like those tunes a lot. it's probably not to everone's taste but it's what i like

no idea what trif means

1 hour ago, brian trageskin said:

thanks for clearing that up 

btw i wasn't shitposting with my selection, i genuinely like those tunes a lot. it's probably not to everone's taste but it's what i like

no idea what trif means

Cheers M8 - and apologies. Sometimes it's hard to tell (particularly around here) if people are on the nose or not (I know I've fallen prey to being pretty snarky myself). No offense intended, and I actually quite liked those tracks (I'm on a bit of a rock meets K/J-pop meets metal kick so these actually kind of slide in well alongside that) - I do think the great thing about this list is, whether it is in jest or sincere, there is such a wide array of different sounds that I absolutely would never have just come across on my own. 

Trif means "terrific" - think it's British'ism that I stole but it might also be a valley girl thing I stole. 

• Like 1

Technically, a song is a type of composition that follows a fixed format, but colloquially it's used to describe any composition.

One of my professors used to harp on me for that bullshit.

• Like 1

if a track with someone singing in it makes you wanna dance it's a dance song. if that shit happens in Europe it's a eurodance song 

so... no, not music

2 hours ago, Taupe Beats said:

My favorite track of the year is a different Interplanetary Criminal track:

Yes that one is great as well, this ep was amazing, prob my fav of the year

Edited by thumbass
  • Like 1

My favorite is probably that Beltran track. I normally hate this kinda cheesy early 2000's "lounge" type track, but he managed to make it actually sick. love the percussion work and the guitar melody.

Edited by Ayya Khema

13 hours ago, Roo said:

hahaha man, my M8 turned me on to Donny Benet earlier this year with this video which is friggin' hilarious but also made me realize how much I loved the track itself. His shit is great.

Yeah, his music videos are always a bit of an event. He has made guest appearances on Rage (and other ABC stuff) a couple times since around 2013-14, bit of a dean on retro kitsch and a very funky man. We've recently had a few similar artists who've walked that fine line between irony and genuine avidity, most notably the likes of Kirin J Callinan, Alex Cameron, Holiday Sidewinder, Sam Sparro, Jack Ladder, The Chats, etc.

Konichiwa was possibly my favourite single of the 10s, and he gave me another SOTY here. Mr. Experience was his first album to fully work for me front-to-back.

On 1/4/2021 at 7:53 AM, T3551ER said:

UPDATED: Youtube Playlist here: 

Damn, that Strokes song is REALLY good.  Haven't really listened listened to them before, and didn't realize they were still making music.  Will put them on my list.

21 hours ago, Roo said:

Yeah, his music videos are always a bit of an event. He has made guest appearances on Rage (and other ABC stuff) a couple times since around 2013-14, bit of a dean on retro kitsch and a very funky man. We've recently had a few similar artists who've walked that fine line between irony and genuine avidity, most notably the likes of Kirin J Callinan, Alex Cameron, Holiday Sidewinder, Sam Sparro, Jack Ladder, The Chats, etc.

Konichiwa was possibly my favourite single of the 10s, and he gave me another SOTY here. Mr. Experience was his first album to fully work for me front-to-back.

Nice! I'll have to check out those other folks - and yeah, he is right up to that line and somehow ends up being both incredibly funny but also creating bangin' tunes. I definitely was rocking Mr. Experience earlier this year in a completely joyous way for sure. 

12 hours ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

Damn, that Strokes song is REALLY good.  Haven't really listened listened to them before, and didn't realize they were still making music.  Will put them on my list.

Right?! I really thought the whole album was pretty tight from beginning to end, though I don't think there's a song that quite reaches the emotional heights that this one hits. I'm not a huge Strokes fan but there are these tracks that have come along through the years that knock me on my ass with how good they are (check out Ize of the World - very different tone but equally as emotionally genuine and surprisingly cerebral and thought provoking)

Edited by T3551ER