IGNORED

SOPHIE - BIPP (Autechre Mx)

hello spiral

4 minutes ago, Valleyfold said:

Not bad but does seem a little low effort. Like something I’d make in Ableton when asked to remix something - import stems, drop tempo, load a preset drum rack and let it loop. Not the first time ae have a weird (for them) approach to remixing. 

This is on par with when delet listened to a Swans track and said "sounds like me after too many beers on me guitar....heh"

who member? I bet @usagi does

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Facepalm 1

SOPHIE’s diva hook is re-pitched to a chopped and screwed swing, as a plethora of fine percussive detail — an errant hi-hat here, a digitised tom accentuation there — fills the indices between the rave-indebted bass climbs.

plethora? alrighty then

1 hour ago, Valleyfold said:

Not bad but does seem a little low effort. Like something I’d make in Ableton when asked to remix something - import stems, drop tempo, load a preset drum rack and let it loop. Not the first time ae have a weird (for them) approach to remixing. 

major shit in >>> ayyt rmx out

Well, I listened to the original for the first time in this thread. I found the production slightly annoying but my reaction was, 'basically, there's an 80s pop song in there I'd like more if it had just been delivered as one.'

By pitching the vocals back down to normal-sounding, the Autechre remix took it a long way in that direction. Though with the perc and bass, it's more 80s or 90s electro than straight pop.

-Wade

• Like 1

Really wondering about which track will be the B-Side. I'm tempted to pre order that vinyl, would love to hear another Ae/SOPHIE remix or a dub version of this one or whatevs, I'm a slut for both of them so

They totally 80's-fied it. Massive ? 

"In 2015 when potential remixes of BIPP were first floated the unequivocal response from SOPHIE was “No remixes..” a long pause followed “..unless it’s Autechre”. We asked, and five years later an email from Autechre arrived “sorry this is so late, hope it's still of some use”. An Autechre live show recording from a Numbers show in 2005 had first inspired SOPHIE to source the equipment used to craft new music including BIPP, LEMONADE & more.  The BIPP Autechre mx is 3 minutes 33 seconds long, stripped back and loose.  Sounding like Autechre paying tribute to some serious late 80’s influences.  The duo's interpretation channels an imagined transition point between NY electro and UK street soul, that pitched down SOPHIE vocal reconfigured into a wanna-be Latin Freestyle Natasha King, jiving over a deep slice of TR-606 funk technology.”

Coming on vinyl soon! https://boomkat.com/products/bipp-autechre-mx

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow what an improvement. Stripped out everything annoying about the original track and gave it that lush 80s vibe. I've missed ae remixes

• Like 6

tbh this is my introduction to the track, too... yeah, welcome to 2013. anyway what a brilliant fucking piece of pop music and i kinda agree with gnarlybog: while the original constantly teases you by leaving you hanging for a drop this remix is all smoothed up and satisfying as hell. makes me think of certain street sounds electro compilations actually so yo, can definitely get behind the eightyfied remarks, too.

glad to know this now.

• Like 1

Bursting out in a sweat of terror, Rob plunges up from the abysses of his nightmare in bed in which his laptop got sucked into a blackhole, with 50% of their max patches being transferred across infinite time and space never to be seen again.
"Babe, what's the matter?" his Victoria's Secret-esque wife asks, hurriedly, "You're screaming! You woke me up! I'm here for you...is it Sean's face again?"

"I've got nothing left...it's all gone. Everything I've ever worked for, I've only got one thing left to do..."

Still in a remarkable stupor of mental fatigue, Rob searches for his phone under his pillow and calls Sean immediately, all the while giving scant attention to his wife's cold clasp on his shoulder.

Rob's heart grows tighter as it keeps ringing, constantly flitting between glancing at the screen and holding it to his ear.

"Fuck sake, pick up you twat"

Rob's wife can hear their eldest making batterings and groanings with the Machinedrum downstairs.

"Uhhh Rob? alright mate it's half 3 in the morning, what you after, fella?"

Rob's body jolts.

"Sean mate you gotta come over right this fuckin second lad, swear to god just listen to me, don't ask any questions, just bring the 808."

"Can't you just dropbox me it? You know I live ages away geezer."

"No, it has to be tonight. Come, now."

Still half asleep and languorous  but fully cognizant of the fact that Rob has never shown this level of determination before, Sean asks no questions and acquiesces and jumps out of bed. His laptop is still running a patch, he puts on his headphones for a few seconds to check; "Decent, I'll keep it running" he whispers to himself.

Sean locks his house and drives over in a hurry, his car humming Zoviet France at a low rumbling volume.

Rob's phone rings.

"Alright mate, I'm outside."

Rob unlocks the door to a gristly chinned Sean, smiling a hopeful but confused half smile and furrowing his brow a little.

Rob leads them both to the front room, packed with gear, wires, modules and any and all electronics you may think. It's almost impossible to move in there.

"Get the 808 out." Rob says imperiously.

Rob takes a seat on the drum kit stool and intensely meditates for a few minutes as Sean plugs in the 808 and sets it to 104BPM.

"You alright mate? How's your missus? You haven't even said hello."

Rob makes no reply.

Gurglings and bass-heavy grumblings start coming from the Dynaudio Acoustic BM6 setup. Sean's need for a fag is directly proportional to the length of time the beat keeps plodding onwards.

Rob breaks his stasis. "Oi get those stems SOPHIE sent us a few years ago. They should be on the desktop." He begins to play a - what seems like - slightly out of time hi-hat rhythm over the vocals and 808.

Sean starts nodding his head with the very beginnings of a smirk coming into his countenance.

7-8 minutes pass with neither of them speaking a word to one another, just a large thudding and mesmerising din splurging from the speakers.

Rob's wife comes down the stairs, peeks her head round the door frame and rolls her eyes amorously with a smile, as perhaps a parent does when their child embarrasses themselves innocently. "I love them" she thinks to herself. She goes to check on the kids.

"Fuck...this is lush", Sean mutters. He plays with the parameters on the 808 a little bit more. After a short 15 minute warmup, they press record.

The banging of the kicks grow louder and Rob begins to lower his head towards the hi-hat, pattering on it with his drumsticks, his mouth agog. He uses no other part of the drumkit.

Sean lights up a fag.

"Yeah...this is the one..." Sean takes a drag. 

Rob temporarily exits his hypnosis, "Add the vocals and slow them down a bit."

"This is deffo the one." A bit of ash drifts from the end of his fag.

Rob closes his eyes, mouth agape.

"Yeah..."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 5
  • Burger 2

37 minutes ago, Blir said:

Wow what an improvement. Stripped out everything annoying about the original track and gave it that lush 80s vibe. I've missed ae remixes

35 minutes ago, jaderpansen said:

tbh this is my introduction to the track, too... yeah, welcome to 2013. anyway what a brilliant fucking piece of pop music and i kinda agree with gnarlybog: while the original constantly teases you by leaving you hanging for a drop this remix is all smoothed up and satisfying as hell. makes me think of certain street sounds electro compilations actually so yo, can definitely get behind the eightyfied remarks, too.

glad to know this now.

1 hour ago, Herr Jan said:

They totally 80's-fied it. Massive ? 

3 hours ago, usagi said:

✓ bass
✓ drums
✓ tekkers

echoing all of the above, sounds like an 80s electro/dance version of some pop track of the time. 

more like this please :music:

• Like 2