IGNORED

Petition to get Gearslutz to change its name

Rubin Farr

7 hours ago, Valleyfold said:

Slut-shaming in 2021? Not a good look folks. 

It's not slut shaming, though. What slut exactly is shamed here, hm? It's more a self-ironic thing as in: Look, we like gear as much as a slut likes sex. It's sexualized but not shaming per se. The word "slut" isn't necessarily just a derogatory word for women, it refers to someone driven by their lust more than by their brain - kinda like nerds who habitually spend money on a bunch of machines they don't really need or are worthy of. The gear is no longer a tool but a self-purpose and fetishised. "Slut" is a good word to describe people who indulge in this behaviour.

It's cringe in the workplace and generally slightly primitive humour, so it should probably be changed. Still a bit silly/thin-skinned. I bet whoever started the petition is from the same country that censors TV/radio speech using bleep sounds

GearLibertines

Edited by dingformung
  • Like 3

Yeah I thought slut was empowering now. Does the name not imply "zomg I'm a total slut for gear. I'd just lay back and let the gear use all my fucking holes. Fucking cover me in gear cum" etc

I see no problem here

• Like 4
  • Burger 1

I've always found We are the Music Makers problematic.  The idea that somehow music is made and that 'we' can claim ownership to this thing we made, that identity comes from the things we do and make, seems very patriarchal. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Burger 1
  • Farnsworth 1

first they came for the problematic boys, and i said nothing because i was a sweetboy

then they came for the synthboys, and i realized that i had actually said nothing in the first instance because i'm severely autistic

• Like 2

I haven't wanted to say anything as I love Joyrex like a father, but come on.  Nothing screams toxic phallocentric western masculinity like 'King of Joy' does.  Let's kill him.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Burger 1

1 hour ago, dr lopez said:

It’s a really stupid name but the reasons to change it are also stupid. Expert knob twiddlers remains undefeated

teachers have a good point about not recommend the site to students because of the name. heard the same thing about muff wiggler from some synth/audio teachers at community colleges.   though one teacher brought some of his class on a field trip to the MW store because we had a wall of vintage rare stuff in there for a while. 

What most people don't know is that back in 2003 Joyrex made a quite moving post on the forum about his difficulties growing up in Texas trapped in the wrong body, and his regrets about not taking hormone blocking therapy when he had the chance.  For some reason the name that he'd chosen for his post transition life has always stuck with me, Shakwella.  He said that it was a portmanteau of Chaka Khan and his favourite hair care product, I never really knew whether he was serious.  Don't worry, the story has a happy ending when a few year later he met a sexually dominant but heart of gold roughneck Texan oildriller and they adopted two beautiful african babies together.   

One of the legacies of this was that there was quite a high ratio of both post and pre transition transexuals in watmm's early days, especially among the moderators.  It doesn't get mentioned much, but they've been open about in the past.  ChenGOD, MadameChaos and mcbpete all used to be men.  Ironically Squee named himself after the sound of delight he imagined making when he would finally wake up and find his testicles removed, but he stopped halfway through the transition process when he realised he was more than happy with a penis that was complemented by a really great pair of tits.  

Anyway, petition to rename Joyrex 'Shakwella Goddess of the Eternal Amen' and for watmm to be renamed 'Gaia's Music Womb'. 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 5