IGNORED

Petition to get Gearslutz to change its name

Rubin Farr

9 hours ago, dingformung said:

It's not slut shaming, though. What slut exactly is shamed here, hm? It's more a self-ironic thing as in: Look, we like gear as much as a slut likes sex. It's sexualized but not shaming per se. The word "slut" isn't necessarily just a derogatory word for women, it refers to someone driven by their lust more than by their brain - kinda like nerds who habitually spend money on a bunch of machines they don't really need or are worthy of. The gear is no longer a tool but a self-purpose and fetishised. "Slut" is a good word to describe people who indulge in this behaviour.

It's cringe in the workplace and generally slightly primitive humour, so it should probably be changed. Still a bit silly/thin-skinned. I bet whoever started the petition is from the same country that censors TV/radio speech using bleep sounds

GearLibertines

i think this petition is stupid (admittedly i did not read it lol but just the idea is enough for me) but i do think your definition here lacks some elements. "slut" isn't necessarily derogatory for women but it's extremely common for it to be and i would imagine that many women, perfectly normal reasonable people, probably have negative associations with the word and how it may have been used in a nasty way against them by men. i think it's almost undeniable that if a guy calls a woman a "slut" he's not making some neutral description referring to sexuality but is more often than not using it as an insult or as a degrading comment. the connotation isn't that a woman just happens to enjoy sex, it's that she is less worthy of respect as a result. this is why it's never really used as an insult against men bc it's taken for granted that men are supposed to want to fuck everything and women are supposed to be chaste. it just generally has a negative connotation, imo. like, i might say this in an affectionate setting with a friend but i would never say this about some one i did not know or who i did not have a good rapport with, it would almost certainly be considered offensive even if people today are trying to reinforce sex positivity and "reclaim" the word and stuff. the word does have a derisive history and that derision has been directed nigh exclusively toward women. 

i think part of the issue with stuff like this is that there are things that are probably not really worth considering that get associated with much worse shit in a kind of disorderly way, in this case just bc of mere word association. i guess imo this is more relevant if a new site were being created, in which case i would suggest not using slut in the name lol. 

in any case gearslutz is really annoying lol

Edited by Alcofribas
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Farnsworth 1

40 minutes ago, Alcofribas said:

i think this petition is stupid (admittedly i did not read it lol but just the idea is enough for me) but i do think your definition here lacks some elements. "slut" isn't necessarily derogatory for women but it's extremely common for it to be and i would imagine that many women, perfectly normal reasonable people, probably have negative associations with the word and how it may have been used in a nasty way against them by men. i think it's almost undeniable that if a guy calls a woman a "slut" he's not making some neutral description referring to sexuality but is more often than not using it as an insult or as a degrading comment behind her back. the connotation isn't that a woman just happens to enjoy sex, it's that she is less worthy of respect as a result. this is why it's never really used as an insult against men bc it's taken for granted that men are supposed to want to fuck everything and women are supposed to be chaste. it just generally has a negative connotation, imo. like, i might say this in an affectionate setting with a friend but i would never say this about some one i did not know or who i did not have a good rapport with, it would almost certainly be considered offensive even if people today are trying to reinforce sex positivity and "reclaim" the word and stuff. the word does have a derisive history and that derision has been directed nigh exclusively toward women. 

i think part of the issue with stuff like this is that there are things that are probably not really worth considering that get associated with much worse shit in a kind of disorderly way, in this case just bc of mere word association. i guess imo this is more relevant if a new site were being created, in which case i would suggest not using slut in the name lol. 

in any case gearslutz is really annoying lol

Dunno, I don't indulge much in such - imo - immoral activities as those people who you would expect to post on Gearslutz, so I dunno, really. Fuck them, I'd say. These idiots spend thousands of dollars on gear only to make substandard idiotcore fucktard music that's on da same level of dumb ass pop music? Fuck them. I make better music with a plastic bucket.

Maybe I'm just young but both men and women I grew up with have been outgoing to similar degrees, the will to feel the other gender's genitals on your own genitals was always there. I don't really remember any gender based discrimination in my peer group (except all the slut shaming of course).

Edited by dingformung
  • Like 1
  • Burger 1

9 minutes ago, dingformung said:

Dunno, I don't indulge much in such - imo - immoral activities as those people who you would expect to post on Gearslutz, so I dunno, really. Fuck them, I'd say. These idiots spend thousands of dollars on gear only to make substandard idiotcore fucktard music that's on same level of dumb ass pop music? Fuck them. I make better music with a plastic bucket.

Maybe I'm just young but both men and women I grew up with have been outgoing to similar degrees, the will to feel the other's gender's genitals on your own genitals was always there. I don't really remember any gender based discrimination in my peer group (except all the slut shaming of course).

YMMV and I don’t doubt your experience. but you can like, watch movies or tv and see the word documented there as an epithet of derision and contempt toward women. 

i mean, i do not think the present example is a good one but it’s not hysterical to me that people would find this term irritating. i would recommend just avoided gearslutz and getting on with life tho

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dingformung said:

aight, it's impractical in the workplace and the concept of buying synths in general should be completely given up. mining in africa should have some more purpose than some fat australian's retard melody on a synth

now you've really crossed the line, brother. synths rule dude

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, ignatius said:

there's a blog piece about how dumb and sexist the names of music forums are. it made a big splash years ago and there were some MW users asking about changing the name. never got any traction because reasons. then Mike, who started the forum, died a couple years ago and now it's attached to his memory so very  doubtful it'll ever be changed. if anyone is wondering he named it after looking around at his guitar pedals. he had a big muff and a Wiggler pedal on the floor. he also said "if i knew this was going to become a thing i'd have thought of a better name".  

the blog post is some pearl clutching cherry picking shit. and there's a billion page long thread about it and like 3 other epic threads about sexism that were locked. i'm sorry i know all this but at the time i was deep in some health problems and spending time on the internet was pretty much it for a while. so it goes. 

https://bluestockingsmag.com/2014/04/17/muff-wiggler-sexism-in-audio-cultures/

so, if you are really really bored and haven't had enough news and culture during your pandemic then i still don't recommend it. 

btw.. when the muff wiggler synth shop opened in portland i was pretty much the only guy working there for a long time. once or twice a week someone would stick their head in the door and exclaim how much they loved the name even though they had no idea what it was. usually it would be two women together.  the bar on the corner was a gay bar that all kinds of events with drag queens and beefcakes etc. we had regular customers gay/straight/trans/non binary and sometimes the same person would fluidly change between all those over the months.  i don't think i ever heard a complaint about the name other than confusion. 

i'm  sure though,  if the store opened today it'd have a different name.  especially in portland where people protest breakfast restaurants that have 'colonial breakfast' on the menu. for better or worse. 

As part of the federal funding my job gets, we have to use a government-curated blocklist of web sites that contain adult content.  Muffwiggler is blocked.

WRT the original post, I propose it be renamed Gearfuckbois, which would keep the spirit but be more accurate since it's like 99% men over there.

• Farnsworth 1

the problem with boys clubs is once your club gets popular enough to start drawing heat for the silly off-colour nerd jokes you made back in the day, there really isn't a good way to respond to it. you either cater to mob demands & look like a total wimp, or you die on a hill defending some silly shit you said years ago as if it were the foundational holy myth of your people. memed if you do, memed if you don't

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Alcofribas said:
8 hours ago, brian trageskin said:

that's fatphobic 

possibly xenophobic too

can we get some mods on this. Mother Chen, perhaps

Ahem, my preferred identifier is Mater, and my personal pronouns are ther/hyst.

• Like 2

Apple should change their name to Orange (tho it's bad as well!) or something, because the apple mythologem is strictly connected to white male privilege as in Isaac Newton story, God forbid to mention the original sin story (shaming women for nothing! They're absolutely beautiful and repressed and under-represented)

Taking jabs at weak brands like gearslutz is just helping our enemies

• Like 1
  • Haha 1