IGNORED

Genghis Tron - Dream Weapon

auxien

they've got a new one coming out this year. working with an actual drummer this time so we'll see how that changes their sound, new vocalist too, and still no bass player listed, who knows.... always cautious about any band that goes away for 10 years then comes back (especially with a drastically different lineup) but....nonetheless i'm looking forward to this and hopeful.

they posted a tiny clip to Instagram, not sure how that's gonna embed or link out so whatever

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKHL1-8J78V/

• Like 1

oh shit, the Baptists drummer from Baptists who is also the Sumac drummer when he's not in Basptits? nice.

this thread is a good reason to revisit this old interview from the last time they released.

"how many pints are in a quart?"

"... I don't smoke weed, man."

• Haha 1

• auxien changed the title to Genghis Tron - Dream Weapon

album is called Dream Weapon

here's the first single

Lyrically and conceptually, Dream Weapon picks up where Board Up The House left off. “That album’s closing track, ‘Relief,’ was about how humans have become a burden to the planet, and how Earth will endure long after we’re gone,” Jordan explains. “There is sadness at the end, but some relief—and beauty—too. Dream Weapon is, loosely, an album-length meditation on that theme.”   From the ethereal, almost robotic vocal phrasings accompanying the industrial attack of “Pyrocene,” to the chaotic, pulse-pounding drumming acrobatics and cyclical guitar patterns in the album’s triumphant title track, Dream Weapon is not just a nod to GENGHIS TRON’s celebrated past as a metal/progressive/experimental outfit. The new album redefines what these genres, sounds, and musical elements can achieve. Dream Weapon is a record that captures GENGHIS TRON at a matured, focused state; the ebbs and flows of the album are just as hard-hitting as they are dreamy, soaring, and meditative. Seasoned GENGHIS TRON listeners will find Dream Weapon to be both excitingly fresh and reassuringly familiar. “Though it sounds a bit different than our previous albums, I don't think we approached Dream Weapon any differently than the others,” Jordan explains. “Michael and I take years to write and trade demos, with about 80% of our ideas landing on the cutting-room floor. Once we have a rough song idea we both like, we write dozens of drafts of a song over months before we end up with a final demo.”   “I think one difference in our approach for this album was that we had a strong sense from the outset of what kind of vibe we wanted to create,” Sochynsky adds. “Something more cohesive, meditative and hypnotic.”

so....yeah, it sounds pretty good but the new vocalist isn't hitting that spot for me on first listen. and the drummer is obviously insanely talented, but the keyboards/electronics don't really shine at all on this song, feels just like a regular metal band. which isn't bad, but definitely different from their previous output. it does have a bit of harsh sections with the more riffy trudging stuff, so it still sounds a bit like GT but...yeah. idk. 

not bad! drums sound great, which is a big Relief (hurr durr) because if that was off then it would ruin the whole thing for me. Nic Yacshyn coming through with the goods. I didn't even know there'd be a new vocalist, he's alright.

I agree with everything else you said, going off just this one track. they're not the same band anymore, though vestiges of the old sound are still there in those riffs. no electronics is a bit of a downer because it was what made them stand out but this could be great. I love a good comeback album.

Edited by usagi
  • Like 1

https://www.revolvermag.com/music/genghis-tron-13-year-hiatus-psychedelic-new-album-giving-nintendocore

Board Up The House lore:

HAVING LIVE DRUMS ON THE RECORD IS ALSO A FIRST FOR GENGHIS TRON, RIGHT?
JORDAN: Actually, Kurt Ballou played a mini toy drum set during the bridge of "Endless Teeth" from Board Up the House. But other than that, this is indeed the first time we've ever played with a live drummer. 

nerdy note and spoilers:

So for the new album, I used a Sequential Prophet Rev2 and the Korg Minilogue XD, both of which I love! I also used a few Arturia soft synths. 

Spoiler

Oh yeah, spoiler alert: there are no blast-beats or "Nintendocore" — whatever that means — parts on Dream Weapon. Sorry! 

Been following the news on this release. Also been following the band since Cloak of Love and I'm super excited to check out the full new LP.

That new track sounds pretty dope, but I'm really curious how the more"psychedelic" sounds takes shape on the record. TBH, the new vocalist makes it sound like a completely new band, but I'm open to it.

One of the things that was actually starting to distance me from the band prior to this new one was feeling like they were dynamically limited by being a screamy electro metal band (though those are all 100% rad elements for any band, IMO), so I can't wait to hear the rest.

Edited by J3FF3R00
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

visuals are pretty cool.

i like the track, it's a bit offkilter in that sorta way that i groove hard to. last few minutes really are lovely as well.

gotta say, it doesn't feel like Genghis Tron at all tho, but if the whole album is as solid as these tracks are i'll be into it even no matter what band name is on there.

• 2 weeks later...

listened to the whole thing through a couple times now, and it's...not bad. missing fire, basically. old GT always felt like it was exploring new and interesting territory and digging up some weird emotions and vibes. this is not, and it's not even doing what it's going for very well.

i think the vocals are pretty fucking weak and kinda annoying tbh. the guitars are middling, and the synth/drum machine things all feel like cutting room floor kinda stuff, like it was all met with an 'oh, yeah that's alright i guess.' real drummer is good, obv, but like, idk...a great drummer on an okay track can't save the song. not happening here at least.

there's a few tracks of some decently interesting stuff, but i don't think i'm gonna end up buying the digitals even. the pretty good tracks here (Pyrocene, Dream Weapon, Ritual Circle) just aren't strong enough/connecting enough, i guess...and the rest of the tracks aren't at even that quality.

wouldn't give it much thought if it was some random band that had put this out...bit disappointed that it's a GT record. 

#bringbackMookie

• Like 1